Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A K-1 fault with a happy ending

As follow up on an issue I reported with my K-1, I would like to share with you a problem that would intermittently appear and how this has recently been resolved through the local Ricoh Pentax distributor in Oz, CR Kennedy.

Not long after picking up my K-1 in early May I discovered a problem that looks like this:

It didn't occur all the time and when it did occur it was noticeable only when going to Live View*. The camera would keep working after it happened in all occasions including through long exposure night shots, landscapes and constant high usage for sports. In all I probably accumulated approx 25 000+ shutter actuations in the 9 months I had my K-1 so the mirror box is certainly robust.

Despite firmware updates the problem persisted so I sent the camera in to be checked out late last year. The techs could not replicate the problem so the camera came back and my shooting took a backseat for a few months until February when I found the same problem occurred. That was the photo above, so as I was running out of warranty I decided to send it back to be checked out. Again the fault could not be replicated in the workshop so when requested for further info on the matter I provided links to the following threads to demonstrate I was not the only one to have this problem:

Post K-1 bugs/issues (feedback for Ricoh) - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com refer to post #261

Quality Control issues with K1 - PentaxForums.com refer to post #11

Like the relevant members identifed in the above posts I'd posted on my experience with the problem, yet interestingly Pentax had not heard of the issue. Well, they have now and my K-1 is going back to Japan so hopefully they can work out what the issue is. It could just be a batch problem, however I don't know that all occurrences of the issue are being reported, so if you do find this happen to your K-1, please get in touch with Ricoh Pentax.

As my camera is going back to be studied a replacement K-1 was provided, so I can only thank Ricoh Pentax and CR Kennedy for their support. Thanks must also go to those in these forums who provide honest reporting of the good bad and ugly as in this case it reinforced what I was experiencing.

Tas

*The problem was observable in LV only however there were occasions where the mirror actuation intermittently sounded different suggesting the problem was just link to LV but to the mirror movement.

03-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have had stuck mirror and at all times it has been related to low battery charge and subzero temperatures.
03-24-2017, 03:20 AM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I have had stuck mirror and at all times it has been related to low battery charge and subzero temperatures.
In all my cases the temperatures were cool to warm and the batteries (I use a grip) are kept charged. The above photo occurred shortly after I arrived onsite with fresh batteries too BTW. However, it would be interesting to know if you saw the same obscured view in those circumstances you mentioned, I have seen your thread on the issue but don't recall any photos, it would be good if you had some to add and compare.

Tas
03-24-2017, 03:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I may have some black frames but they are completely black with nothing seen anywhere in the frame. They way it has happened is that I have started live view and instantly tried to take exposure, oooops wait, black screen and nothing happens. This has usually been in the beginning of a continuous shooting series.