Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Such a lens already exists - the problem is that it has been discontinued for some time.
Interesting -- would you kindly tell us more about this Sigma lens, in terms of how it would work on a Pentax K-1? I see several are available on eBay for Nikon mount.

03-30-2017, 12:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geof Quote
I think that a third party 15-30 or something like that would be very much appreciated since the Pentax one is so expensive. Are there any news?
I haven't read any of the other replies yet so please take that into consideration.

1. I have no idea if there are or aren't any 3rd party lenses on the way. Nor do I 'really know' what is the procedure for 3rd party companies to make lenses.

2. I would ASSUME that to make 3rd party lenses that Pentax/Ricoh would need to share IP or other information so that it would work. The mount yes, but the autofocus algorithms or whatever would need to be shared especially for newer models like the K1. I don't know how any of that works though. I am far from a scientist or camera expert.

Now though let's step back a bit and try to view this from 10,000 feet up. Pentax has been long planning the K1. I am a firm believer that part of this process includes new Pentax branded lenses. They can't do them all at once, but the point is Pentax has lots of lenses right now in the development stage. Full Frame glass in both prime and zoom formats that will be made to Pentax' standards.

With that in mind I think Pentax actually pulled back from 3rd party companies on purpose and have been doing so for a year or two already. It would only make sense for them to do that. Why have several 3rd party autofocus 50mm primes on the market before you can even get your OWN out there?

Giving in to the 3rd party would actually hurt many future sales. I think Pentax is going to come out with a lot of Pentax lenses. In theory I think they could have an additional 5 or 6 primes for example

In the future Pentax may or may not ever proactively seek 3rd party lenses, or they might do it on a limited basis. They might limit 3rd party lenses until a relative saturation point is reached and then open it up to 3rd party offerings.

I don't know the answers, but I do pretty much know that to me it wouldn't make ANY sense at all (in a business sense) to rush out and have all this third party glass crowding the space, especially when you're making relatively huge investments into the new lens lineup.
03-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Regarding #2, that's easily proven false by just using existing 3rd-party lenses with the K-1. While there is the occasional bug (due to reverse engineering), often it would work just fine.
Of course, Pentax lenses are forward compatible, which means they're not changing the whatever with every new camera. Put your pre-1990 F lens on the K-1 and it will simply work.

Some people like to believe in conspiracies, but the truth was publicly said by Sigma's CEO: Pentax' market is too small.
03-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geof Quote
I think that a third party 15-30 or something like that would be very much appreciated since the Pentax one is so expensive. Are there any news?
Define expensive?
It costs money, it is worth money.

If nobody buys Pentax glass why bother about Pentax at all? Lot so comments on expensive prices for FF lenses and camera here and a lot of legacy glass around. I am sure Sigma and Tamron have a close look where to place their glass, maybe in the future Pentax is worthy again.

04-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Define expensive?
It costs money, it is worth money.

If nobody buys Pentax glass why bother about Pentax at all? Lot so comments on expensive prices for FF lenses and camera here and a lot of legacy glass around. I am sure Sigma and Tamron have a close look where to place their glass, maybe in the future Pentax is worthy again.
1500€ expensive. 600€ not expensive.