Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2023, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #166
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sunburn Quote
A lot has changed since then, I have developed an unhealthy obsession of buying old and vintage Pentax lenses whilst also acquiring the vast majority of the modern line up and subsequent releases. So yeah quite an adventure since my first year.
LOL, I've heard that often and gone the same road myself

01-12-2023, 02:08 PM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nott!
01-12-2023, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah its a funny old world isnt it, my OP was not long after acquiring my Pentax K1 and I suppose it was due to my relative lack of experience with the technology/brand and unfortunately discovering the Pentax is Doomed online brigade, plus at that time my reliance upon 3rd party lenses within the canon marquee made me some what unsure if I had made the right decision or not moving over to Pentax. A lot has changed since then, I have developed an unhealthy obsession of buying old and vintage Pentax lenses whilst also acquiring the vast majority of the modern line up and subsequent releases. So yeah quite an adventure since my first year.
Legacy manual prime lenses are a gateway to the dreaded gear acquisition syndrome... G.A.S.
01-13-2023, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #169

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Legacy manual prime lenses are a gateway to the dreaded gear acquisition syndrome... G.A.S.
Couldnt agree more! - my accountant .. I mean, my wife keeps a regular audit check on the GAS shelf

01-17-2023, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Couldnt agree more! - my accountant .. I mean, my wife keeps a regular audit check on the GAS shelf
A little off topic, but I wanted to give kudos to the OP for their images. Excellent stuff on there!
01-30-2023, 06:02 AM   #171

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
A little off topic, but I wanted to give kudos to the OP for their images. Excellent stuff on there!
Thank you
01-30-2023, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian

Is this thread trying to rival "Why I won't buy a K-3" for longevity?

01-30-2023, 06:58 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello All,
In the past 4 months, I have brought into the Pentax K-1, after having been firmly in the Canon camp for several years, mainly for the FF offering of the K1 and the improved low light performance / dynamic range its sensor has over any Canon solutions to date. However, with each passing week, I'm becoming more and more aware and concerned that there seems to be a dying lens ecosystem for the K mount, especially from traditional 3rd party manufacturers. ala (Tamron/Sigma) is anyone else a little concerned about the future lens offering on the K mount for the otherwise amazing K-1?

I appreciate there is a massive back catalogue of lenses that are available and this is great, but time does change and optics and manufacturing processes do improve. I'm surprised the latest offerings from Sigma / Tamron et al are not available in the K mount. With Pentax's roadmap seeming very limited for 2017, I fear maybe forced back into Cannon land in search of a compromised K-1 Substitute.

Regards
Geoff
Sounds kind of odd, to me.

Cuz you shared that you picked up the K-1 due to "improved low light performance / dynamic range its sensor".

What you described, still will be so.

As for lens offering.
Yeap, is correct that Sigma and Tamron have given up supporting Pentax quite some time ago.

But (and this is a HUGE BUT).

what areas of photography are you into, mainly?

Cuz if you chose to pick up the K-1 (instead of K-3-3), can i assume more into areas such as landscape, streetscape, portraiture, macro?

If so, there's the DFA 15-30, the DFA21, HD 31, HD43, HD77, DFA 100 macro etc.

All superb lenses.
You won't need anything else.
01-30-2023, 07:12 AM   #174
Pentaxian

Given that the post is 5.5 years old, my only question is, with all the lenses released since then does the OP still think his "dead ecosystem" comment was fair?
01-30-2023, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given that the post is 5.5 years old, my only question is, with all the lenses released since then does the OP still think his "dead ecosystem" comment was fair?
Well, he said:

"Yeah its a funny old world isnt it, my OP was not long after acquiring my Pentax K1 and I suppose it was due to my relative lack of experience with the technology/brand and unfortunately discovering the Pentax is Doomed online brigade, plus at that time my reliance upon 3rd party lenses within the canon marquee made me some what unsure if I had made the right decision or not moving over to Pentax. A lot has changed since then, I have developed an unhealthy obsession of buying old and vintage Pentax lenses whilst also acquiring the vast majority of the modern line up and subsequent releases. So yeah quite an adventure since my first year."

So, I would say he is relatively happy with his purchase.
01-30-2023, 10:45 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, he said:

"Yeah its a funny old world isnt it, my OP was not long after acquiring my Pentax K1 and I suppose it was due to my relative lack of experience with the technology/brand and unfortunately discovering the Pentax is Doomed online brigade, plus at that time my reliance upon 3rd party lenses within the canon marquee made me some what unsure if I had made the right decision or not moving over to Pentax. A lot has changed since then, I have developed an unhealthy obsession of buying old and vintage Pentax lenses whilst also acquiring the vast majority of the modern line up and subsequent releases. So yeah quite an adventure since my first year."

So, I would say he is relatively happy with his purchase.
Ya I already read that, however, that doesn't directly address the "dead ecosystem". IN fact, many have dismissed the legacy lenses when even discussing lens availability. I'm wondering if the stability of Pentax over the last 5 years, and the release of so many lenses so good I can't afford them has changed his mind. Or if he's happy to discover there is a lot of value still to be had in the dead ecosystem.
01-30-2023, 10:58 AM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ya I already read that, however, that doesn't directly address the "dead ecosystem". IN fact, many have dismissed the legacy lenses when even discussing lens availability. I'm wondering if the stability of Pentax over the last 5 years, and the release of so many lenses so good I can't afford them has changed his mind. Or if he's happy to discover there is a lot of value still to be had in the dead ecosystem.
I guess I would have taken it that he is more interested in older lenses at this point and so he isn't particularly concerned about new releases -- either with regard to lenses or camera bodies.
01-30-2023, 11:07 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I would have taken it that he is more interested in older lenses at this point and so he isn't particularly concerned about new releases -- either with regard to lenses or camera bodies.
The younger ones investigate the older lenses. Those of us who remember their releases dates, not so much.
02-03-2023, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #179

Original Poster
Yes and No - No because I have pretty much brought used and sold every lens for the K1 since I picked it up and found uses for them I didnt know or needed at the time. And yes because I dont see Pentax evolving at pace with the technology. The exception of the k3 mark 3 which I have no interest in anyways.Of course this is my opinion, its encouraging to read others views differ clearly.

---------- Post added 02-03-23 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Sounds kind of odd, to me.........................
I appreciate that my post from 5 years ago, read today, would seem odd

Last edited by Sunburn; 02-03-2023 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling and context