Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New K-1 no Optical drive on my laptop How do I load Pentax SW?

HI All,

I've got a new K-1 and due to my laptop not having an Optical Drive, I'm unable to install the SW that came with the camera. BTW, does it come with a USB cable, because mine did not.

Is there anywhere I can download it from? Searching Pentax's support site I found some software for the K-1, but don't know what I need or don't need. I tried the DCU update in Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING but that needed a version installed to update. Any help or links are appreciated.

04-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I posted this in your other thread...

Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com
04-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

No it doesn't come with a cable. I use a old cable that came with a kindle fire.
04-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

BTW, do I only need the DCU update or is there other SW I need to download?

04-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

BTW, do I only need the DCU update or is there other SW I need to download?
The DCU update is the complete install. You just need to trick the installer into thinking you have the disk mounted.
04-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Forum Member

An alternative is to buy a portable dvd burner. They are cheap.
04-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
Yup, and this will help make future installations easy, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although my laptop has a built-in optical drive, I got an LG BE14 which plugs into the USB port. In addition to giving you access to Blu-Ray storage (lots of storage), this drive writes to m discs (which is the main reason I got it) which are archivally rated. That can come in handy for those photo files you really want to keep. With a rated life in excess of 100 year (when properly stored), the m discs beat hard drives or USB drives for longevity (and you can load software that comes on an optical disc). It comes in at a little more than $100US.
04-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #9

If you are running Window 8 or higher download the update file from Ricoh. When it complains it can't find an earlier version don't cancel and click "OK" or "Next" or whatever. It will install without an existing version or properly labeled removeable drive.
04-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I must be missing something because it is years since I installed any Pentax software
04-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Unregistered User

I downloaded the latest update for DCU. Unzipped it and put on a memorycard. This memorycard I then gave a new name; S-SW140

Then I started the installer and the program installed without any error.
04-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
Yup, found one one that auction site for $10.
04-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I downloaded the latest update for DCU. Unzipped it and put on a memorycard. This memorycard I then gave a new name; S-SW140

Then I started the installer and the program installed without any error.
This method works every time and is super easy BUT frankly I don't see any advantage in using DCU. It is like software from the 1990s.

It is so clunky and slow to use and its adds no useful functionality that the common PP programs don't offer already.
04-19-2017, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
This method works every time and is super easy BUT frankly I don't see any advantage is using DCU. It is so clunky to use. Like software from the 1990s and adds no useful functionality that the common PP programs offer already.
Working with Pixel shift files and Motion detection DCU is very useful.
04-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #15

I copied the cd content to a USB pen at work, and installed it from there, worked fine