Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dumb question re: no flash on android image sync in liveview

The title pretty much sums it up.

Every year on our anniversary, the misses and I do a selfie formal in our living room in front of the fireplace. It has been fun to watch us age, well, at least me, she just keeps getting younger somehow dang it. This year is our 30th

Anywho, my battery died in my pentax remote and i was trying out the android app, which is really coo, but I found a bug (feature?) Where if I have a shoe mounted flash, it will work in blind mode (no live view pic on phone) but kicks off the flash in live view, and at least it does compensate the shutter speed. Still annoying though.

Another bug (feature?) Is that you can't have the K1 in self timer mode, which kinda sucks for my scenario, because I have to hold the phone out of sight and try to hit the right place on the touch screen to trip the instant shutter.

So, my work flow goes like this... start in live view, tap the spot on the screen for focus, switch off live view, try not to move, hold the phone out of sight and hope I hit the shutter in the right spot. Then review the shot and try again until I'm happy.

Anyone else notice this stuff, or am I just doing something wrong?

Mind you, its still way better than the old one button remote... no jumping up to chimp or adjust focus, etc. But it could be even better with a few tweaks.

Thanks!
Eric

04-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Unregistered User

Did you by any chance have the Electronic Shutter turned on? If so, the flash will not fire.
04-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Did you by any chance have the Electronic Shutter turned on? If so, the flash will not fire.

I bet you are right! I remember turning Eshutter on with the last firmware update, because "it was there" and I thought it was cool. Didn't even think about effect on flash because I dont use it often. I'll check and test and get back. Thanks!!!
Eric
04-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I turned off EShutter in LV in the menu system and now the flash fires in the image sync with live view on. Yes! Thanks very much, that is one problem down!

So, is there any reason why it thinks it must be in single shot mode, and won't let me use the 3 sec self timer? I mean, other than they chose to program it that way, is there some logic as to why it is impossible, or not a good idea? I am guessing it is because the camera is looking for my actual old one button remote, and not image sync app over wifi to trigger the shot? If this is the case, then it would take a firmware tweak, as well as a tweak to the app, maybe, in order to let the camera acknowledge it this way?

It would be nice to be able to tap the correct spot on the screen for AF, tap the shutter release on the cell screen, look up and smile with my cell phone out of site in time for the pic, heh.

Prolly a lot of work for a feature that very few people would use... but I wonder... oh well.
Eric

04-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I cannot answer for the need to the camera to be in single shot mode as I have never actually taken a selfie with the app.

I have found the built-in intervalometer to be of great help when doing selfies, just put in your desired number of shots with a couple of seconds between them so you can adjust your pose in between.