Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick Astrotracer Question

Hey folks
I've been playing with the K-1 Astro feature, after having been pretty functional with the OGPS-1. I preface the following by saying the manual is pretty vague - I looked but could not find any hint to my question below.
The menu buttons are pretty intuitive to make it go, I really like the quick access to the precise calibration, but I've been confused a little bit by the green button functionality. It seems it toggles Bulb mode and on board timer.
Is this feature so that someone can used a wired release with a timer?

I of would normally use the Astrotracer timer and a wireless remote. I've been a little confused as to whether the Astrotracer feature is actually engaged when the display shows "bulb".

TIA

04-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
Forum Member

On my K-50 with latest firmware and O-GPS1, I believe the green button lets me toggle between astrotracer or bulb. The screen shows "Astrotracer" when the mode dial is set to B, but if I then press the green button, the screen changes to say "Astrotracer". Don't know if that helps or not.

-Jonathan
04-15-2017, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Hey folks
I've been playing with the K-1 Astro feature, after having been pretty functional with the OGPS-1. I preface the following by saying the manual is pretty vague - I looked but could not find any hint to my question below.
The menu buttons are pretty intuitive to make it go, I really like the quick access to the precise calibration, but I've been confused a little bit by the green button functionality. It seems it toggles Bulb mode and on board timer.
Is this feature so that someone can used a wired release with a timer?

I of would normally use the Astrotracer timer and a wireless remote. I've been a little confused as to whether the Astrotracer feature is actually engaged when the display shows "bulb".

TIA
Either the green button or exposure compensation button allows you to toggle the astrotracer while in bulb mode- I can't remember which, but you should see the astrotracer icon next to it, not the self timer icon. You will see the "B" icon replaced with the astrotracer icon on the status screen / in live view when the astrotracer is on.

The other button switches between standard bulb mode and timed bulb mode. With a recent firmware update, bulb mode now allows you to select shutter speeds >30s and <20minutes (this is what might be throwing you off). When the astrotracer is on, you should only be able to select shutter speeds <5minutes (sometimes less than that depending on the focal length/location).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Astrotracer mode controls the exposure. If you toggle to Bulb mode, then by definition you are no longer in Astrotracer mode/

07-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Either the green button or exposure compensation button allows you to toggle the astrotracer while in bulb mode- I can't remember which, but you should see the astrotracer icon next to it, not the self timer icon. You will see the "B" icon replaced with the astrotracer icon on the status screen / in live view when the astrotracer is on.

The other button switches between standard bulb mode and timed bulb mode. With a recent firmware update, bulb mode now allows you to select shutter speeds >30s and <20minutes (this is what might be throwing you off). When the astrotracer is on, you should only be able to select shutter speeds <5minutes (sometimes less than that depending on the focal length/location).
Are you saying after calibrating and turning Astrotracer on, that I can hit the exposure compensation button to set the time of exposure, but it's still in bulb mode AND thus Astrotracer? That's awesome if true, since unlike most of the world, I don't carry a cell phone around to use as a timer in the dark! I have a new K70, and just tried the astrotracer out this evening. I noticed when I hit the green button, astrotracer turned off and I could set the shutter for over 30 seconds. Please let me know if this is what you mean.
07-15-2017, 03:43 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
Are you saying after calibrating and turning Astrotracer on, that I can hit the exposure compensation button to set the time of exposure, but it's still in bulb mode AND thus Astrotracer? That's awesome if true, since unlike most of the world, I don't carry a cell phone around to use as a timer in the dark! I have a new K70, and just tried the astrotracer out this evening. I noticed when I hit the green button, astrotracer turned off and I could set the shutter for over 30 seconds. Please let me know if this is what you mean.
The astrotracer has a theoretical maximum of 300s, but in practice you'll get good results in the 60-120s range, depending on the lens, calibration, and location.

Shutter speeds up to 20 minutes are selectable in B mode while the astrotracer is off. So, for astrotracer use alone I'd say having the IR remote is handy, but it's no longer a necessity for getting long exposure shots.
07-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

I was confused by the green button as well. If you have turned on the GPS with the button on the top of the camera and calibrate, the camera is in Astrotracer mode when you go to Bulb mode. You will see an icon in the bottom right of the screen that says to press the green button to turn off Astrotracer. The problem comes if you want to use the timer in Bulb mode, but want to keep Astrotracer off. (Such as trying to take a foreground shot to go with the Astrotracer stars.). If you just hit the green button to turn off Astrotracer, you go to bulb mode with no timer. However, I discovered if you are in Astrotracer mode, hit the Info button and turn off Astrotracer on the Info/status screen, you will be in Bulb mode with the timer.

I have been using Mirror Up and 2 sec timer with an IR remote for Astrotracer and it works well.

07-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #8

Ok, that helps too! Why isn't any of this documented in the manual or somewhere!? It's just trial and error!
07-19-2017, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #9

The Bulb timer was added in one of the firmware updates, so it wasn't in the manual. It wasn't documented well in the firmware update, so it was mostly trial and error thinking about it during the 60 to 120 seconds during each night exposure. Lots of time to ponder stuff with Astrotracer... even more if you do long exposure noise reduction!