Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Could be when using third party batteries with higher voltage than Pentax original batteries (a lot of the cheap copies of the D-LI90 aren't within Pentax spec...also why they are so cheap... careful). In order to max out the dymanic range of sensors, camera manufacturers supply sensors with the max allowed, as long as the supply does not exceed this value, the usual tested life time of the sensors (and other semiconductor devices) is around 10 years. However, when exceeding the max specified supply voltage, the lifetime of the electronic device reduces quickly (what's call accelerated aging in reliability testing), when using a device beyond the max, a device life time can be reduced down to a few weeks... When using non Pentax batteries , exclude the ones with output voltage higher than the original Pentax batteries.
It doesn't matter what aftermarket batteries you get, if you use the original charger it will only charge the batteries to the correct voltage.

Some aftermarket chargers do use a higher voltage to charge faster, which would leave the final battery voltage slightly higher. If I'm not mistaken, I believe DSLR's have built in voltage regulators that should prevent slight over voltage from reaching the actual sensor electronics. (I doubt they could correct for under voltage, but that's why the camera warns you and shuts down.)

04-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
It doesn't matter what aftermarket batteries you get, if you use the original charger it will only charge the batteries to the correct voltage.
:-) ah !!! You are right, if the Li-Ion charger starts with current and finishes off with voltage, which is the normal way.

Then I don't know of a sensor getting more noisy after two years of use, except the sensors have improved and what was satisfactory some years ago is considered bad by today's standards.
04-24-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
First I've ever heard that the Canon sensor is 'better' than the Sony sensor in the Pentax. It's always been the opposite to my knowledge. In fact when I used to follow a Canon forum, Canonites were bemoaning their plight in having Canon sensors rather than Sony sensors as do both Pentax and Nikon. With some regularity Canon users were hoping that Canon would use Sony sensors.
I had EOS 5D, 5DMKII, 6D and tried 5DMKIV. I recently switched to Pentax K-1 and I can tell you K-1's sensor is the best I ever had on FF camera. Although I like very much the versatile EOS 6D, great dynamic and low noise on K-1 make me love it over Canon EOS cameras in every aspect. The way of working the digital files is different and I am not so comfortable working on its yet, but I am trying to do my best...

Semana Santa de Cartagena, Leica Summicron-R 50/2 @ f:2.8, Iso1600, 1/50s on Pentax K-1 thanks to SR on.

Crop 100%, manual focus by OVF.
04-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Techniquewise, remember, you can't focus on a face, with PDAF, Canon or otherwise, Bkpix.
Not true, Clackers. Nikon has had OVF focus face detection since the D800, included also in the D750 and presumably other top end cameras since.

Nikon D750 face recognition and metering is amazing (example pic in text) : photography

04-24-2017, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Could be when using third party batteries with higher voltage than Pentax original batteries (a lot of the cheap copies of the D-LI90 aren't within Pentax spec...also why they are so cheap... careful). In order to max out the dymanic range of sensors, camera manufacturers supply sensors with the max allowed, as long as the supply does not exceed this value, the usual tested life time of the sensors (and other semiconductor devices) is around 10 years. However, when exceeding the max specified supply voltage, the lifetime of the electronic device reduces quickly (what's call accelerated aging in reliability testing), when using a device beyond the max, a device life time can be reduced down to a few weeks... When using non Pentax batteries , exclude the ones with output voltage higher than the original Pentax batteries.
Good to know, I wasn't aware of this. Good thing I always have used nothing but my chargeable Pentax only batteries in my K10D, K5 and K-1 and only use chargeable Canon batteries in my Canon G 12.

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 03:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
I had EOS 5D, 5DMKII, 6D and tried 5DMKIV. I recently switched to Pentax K-1 and I can tell you K-1's sensor is the best I ever had on FF camera. Although I like very much the versatile EOS 6D, great dynamic and low noise on K-1 make me love it over Canon EOS cameras in every aspect. The way of working the digital files is different and I am not so comfortable working on its yet, but I am trying to do my best...

Semana Santa de Cartagena, Leica Summicron-R 50/2 @ f:2.8, Iso1600, 1/50s on Pentax K-1 thanks to SR on.

Crop 100%, manual focus by OVF.
Good to hear from a photographer with your experience with both Canon and Pentax. I enjoy your photographs.
04-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Interesting. I found out that changing the focus from a person standing at 1m to me to a person standing at 2m from me, the af on the K1 was slower than Canon's 5D Mark IV af (not by much though). I liked the fact that K1's af was accurate. It is also interesting what you said because if I remeber corectly, this was the first test I've done at the Pentaxian meeting I went a few months ago, and Kunzite and also a few others can confirm that the same thing I notticed when I was changing the focus from a Pentaxian sitting at our table to a stranger who was sitting at a different table, in very dim light. It was acurate, but it needed an extra split of a second to lock focus.
Well, I think you and biz-engineer are talking about different things.
You are talking about focus speed (in dim light), which likely is influenced by the in-lens AF motor. Except for the 55-300 RE PLM, I don't think Pentax' AF motors are as fast. Then, at least with some lenses there's a tendency to hunt in low light, further adding to the delay.
Biz-engineer was talking about a lag, detected outdoors. Imaging Resource (who would test the shutter lag, but not actual AF speed) measured 0.165s for the Canon, and 0.09s for the Pentax... not sure if it's enough to notice.
04-25-2017, 01:46 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, I think you and biz-engineer are talking about different things.
You are talking about focus speed (in dim light), which likely is influenced by the in-lens AF motor. Except for the 55-300 RE PLM, I don't think Pentax' AF motors are as fast. Then, at least with some lenses there's a tendency to hunt in low light, further adding to the delay.
Biz-engineer was talking about a lag, detected outdoors. Imaging Resource (who would test the shutter lag, but not actual AF speed) measured 0.165s for the Canon, and 0.09s for the Pentax... not sure if it's enough to notice.
Yes, I know about what Biz-engineer reffers too. I said in my initial comment that I haven't noticed this supposed lag when I shooted with 5D Mark IV and K1, but I'll look with more atention to this "problem" when I'll be able to use both cameras again. Maybe I will have time to verify this aspect at F64 store when K1 will be available again (is out of stock now).

04-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Hmm... bring a 5D Mark IV, and maybe we can arrange something...
While biz-engineer noticed the lag (it's an issue of being noticeable or not, right?), I wouldn't call it a problem. I believe he's trying to say, hey, Pentax isn't that bad
04-25-2017, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ lesmore49 and Rondec. I am glad that your are happy with your cameras. But if you want to convince me that Pentax is better than Canon, I will tell you that I came from Canon to Pentax. I have spend about 4 years in the Pentax land, and I lost more than 2000$ when I was convinced that it's not for me and sold all my Pentax tools. And I didn't do it for nothing, or for several bad shots. No. Maybe I am a bad photographer with Pentax cameras, and not so much with Canon.

I don't remember where, but some time ago I have posted here a very ilustrative picture at ISO 250. It was the same kind of discution, and after I have posted all comentaries has suddenly stopped. Now, I can't do this again, because I don't have time to look for in tens of thousands of old images, and because I am no longer a site suporter, I had to erase a lot of attachments to post a new one, so I erased all.

If you don't beleve me, it's not my problem.

Just be happy with the camera you choose.
04-25-2017, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Hmm... bring a 5D Mark IV, and maybe we can arrange something...
While biz-engineer noticed the lag (it's an issue of being noticeable or not, right?), I wouldn't call it a problem. I believe he's trying to say, hey, Pentax isn't that bad
Hey, Pentax isn't that bad. In fact, K1 is very good and that's the honest truth.
04-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #56
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is an environment I have zero experience with... but I find, usually when the camera hunts it's because part of the frame is blocked by something close to the camera. Many times if a corner of the blind is in front of the lens, even though I can clearly see the subject the camera's AF won't lock. I suspect there would be many other factors. But essentially, I'm not the one to give advice and be an expert on that type of shooting. Once a year in the basement shooting gymnastics with the grand daughters is as close as I get to that.
Ah, thanks for that comment. A while ago, I said something similar, that I sometimes had trouble capturing fleeting expressions, like people smiling, because my camera would take to long focusing. You responded quite differently then. (not blaming you for it though - you may have interpreted my words differently)
04-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Hey, Pentax isn't that bad. In fact, K1 is very good and that's the honest truth.
Sure; it has its limits but it's a very good camera.
But let me tell you a little story - few years ago, I (briefly) compared my K-5IIs with a D7100, fully expecting the Nikon to obliterate my tiny Pentax in low light AF-S. Why? Because I kept hearing how Pentax' AF is bad and Nikon's is so much better.
Guess what: the tiny Pentax did better.

So we need to hear the honest truth, not only the endless negativism

(Yes, Nikon improved its low light AF with the D7200)
04-25-2017, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Sure; it has its limits but it's a very good camera.
But let me tell you a little story - few years ago, I (briefly) compared my K-5IIs with a D7100, fully expecting the Nikon to obliterate my tiny Pentax in low light AF-S. Why? Because I kept hearing how Pentax' AF is bad and Nikon's is so much better.
Guess what: the tiny Pentax did better.

So we need to hear the honest truth, not only the endless negativism

(Yes, Nikon improved its low light AF with the D7200)
Let me tell you a little story also. A few years ago, while I was shooting with K-5 II, I challenged a lot of photographers who were using 7D, D7000. And 7D was worse than my K-5 II in terms of image quality, but as good as my Pentax in terms of build quality. Back then I was not interested in wildlife, so af-c wasn't so important. The ones with 7D and D7000 struggeled to focus in low light, I didn't. D7000 had pretty much the same image quality as Pentax (not a fan of Nikon colors though), but the build quality of Nikon was a bad joke.

So yes, there is no negativism when comes to Pentax cameras as far as I'm concerned.
04-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
@ lesmore49 and Rondec. I am glad that your are happy with your cameras. But if you want to convince me that Pentax is better than Canon, I will tell you that I came from Canon to Pentax. I have spend about 4 years in the Pentax land, and I lost more than 2000$ when I was convinced that it's not for me and sold all my Pentax tools. And I didn't do it for nothing, or for several bad shots. No. Maybe I am a bad photographer with Pentax cameras, and not so much with Canon.

I don't remember where, but some time ago I have posted here a very ilustrative picture at ISO 250. It was the same kind of discution, and after I have posted all comentaries has suddenly stopped. Now, I can't do this again, because I don't have time to look for in tens of thousands of old images, and because I am no longer a site suporter, I had to erase a lot of attachments to post a new one, so I erased all.

If you don't beleve me, it's not my problem.

Just be happy with the camera you choose.
Exactly, if it's not for you don't dwell on it, move on. There is absolutely no reward for sticking with any brand if your photography evolves to the point where it isn't what you want anymore.I recently talked to a guy who does all his birding with a D810. IN his mind, having a really high quality image every now and then is better than a lower quality image captured more frequently. The truth is, there are a lot of factors in deciding what each shooter is actually going to be happy with. There's not road map. Those who are always complaining about Pentax's features or lack of. All I can say is maybe it's their first camera, and they just didn't understand what they were getting into.
04-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I do not trust any brand's AF system in a hi-res body.