Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Choosing which SD card Slot is used to save?

When i got my K-1, to begin with I only had 1 sd card, then I bought another, so am now using both slots (32gb, identical cards in each slot). At first it seemed as tho the RAW files were being saved to SD card slot 1, then one day I fired off a lot of shots, used up all SD card slot 1's mem and was now recording files onto SD card Slot 2 (good, that's to be expected).
After this marathon session, I formatted both cards, but oddly it now seems to be that SD Card Slot 2 is being used to store files, even when SD card slot 1 has a card inside that is formatted (and therefore empty and ready to be used).

I'm actually ok with this, because SD Card Slot 2 is easier to eject a card from lol, but it got me wondering what has occurred, how does the K-1 choose which slot to use when recording data (that is when yer not duplicating file mode or RAW+JPG mode etc, just as basic simple RAW storage, use one card, then move onto the next). How does it choose to determine which slot it's going to use up first before moving onto the next, because I have definitely somehow made it go from using sd card slot 1 first to now sd card slot 2 being first...

Cheers,

Bruce

04-24-2017, 01:43 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to switch, pop out the card you want to be the second card. Turn on camera. Turn off. Reinsert card. The card you've just inserted will be the secondary one.
04-24-2017, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
pjv
Proudly Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Bruce. Same thing will happen on the K-3. Easy fix. If you turn your camera off, remove the card in SLOT 2, the turn the camera back on with a card in SLOT 1, it will default back to SLOT 1. Then turn your camera off, replace the card in SLOT 2 and you are good to go. Cheers.

EDIT - Rob types quicker than me !!
04-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
If you want to switch, pop out the card you want to be the second card. Turn on camera. Turn off. Reinsert card. The card you've just inserted will be the secondary one.
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Bruce. Same thing will happen on the K-3. Easy fix. If you turn your camera off, remove the card in SLOT 2, the turn the camera back on with a card in SLOT 1, it will default back to SLOT 1. Then turn your camera off, replace the card in SLOT 2 and you are good to go. Cheers.

EDIT - Rob types quicker than me !!
Ah... so that's what had happened to me. Cool, cheers peeps!

04-24-2017, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

On my K-3 I've noticed the in use card switch for no apparent reason a couple of times, so I keep the second card locked with that little slider tab to control which card is written to. It's also nice because it gives me a heads up that I'm halfway through my memory space when I have to unlock it.