Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sensor cleaning

Hello everyone,

I have recently cleaned my sensor with an Eyelead sticky gel. Afterward some photos seems to have wrong color tones and some others are just fine. How can I determine the problem? Could I have damaged my sensor?

Kind regards
Hamid

04-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidamin Quote
I have recently cleaned my sensor with an Eyelead sticky gel. Afterward some photos seems to have wrong color tones and some others are just fine. How can I determine the problem? Could I have damaged my sensor?
It's highly unlikely that you've caused any damage if you used the gel stick correctly, especially considering the Eyelead sticks are very good. Plus, if you had inadvertently damaged the sensor, I wouldn't expect it to manifest itself this way. Are you sure it's not settings that are causing the different colour tones?

Could you post a couple of example images, along with EXIF data?
04-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check you camera settings like white balance. otherwise maybe you left some residue behind. Not to worry you can clean it off by wet cleaning it. but post some pics plz
04-30-2017, 08:05 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I consider myself an old hand in sensor cleaning and I know from experience that sometimes a sticky cleaner such as the one you used can deteriorate over time under certain storing conditions and leave residue behind on the sensor surface. Particularly the cheaper ones are prone to do this. Even if yours was just purchased recently, you do not know how old it is. Unfortunately they are not marked with a us-eby or production date.

I know of the Eyelead but have no practical experience with it. Most of the good ones come with a supply of contact paper with which the used surface of the stamping tool is cleaned by dabbing it on the paper.

I use these sticky stamping tools with great success, however knowing about the problem as described above I always stamp the tool on to the surface of a clean CD before attacking the sensor with it. (You can us a cheap CD for this as long as it is new and clean) If the stamping tool has deteriorated it will be clearly visible and if this is the case - chuck it.

Cheers

05-01-2017, 02:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I consider myself an old hand in sensor cleaning and I know from experience that sometimes a sticky cleaner such as the one you used can deteriorate over time under certain storing conditions and leave residue behind on the sensor surface. Particularly the cheaper ones are prone to do this. Even if yours was just purchased recently, you do not know how old it is. Unfortunately they are not marked with a us-eby or production date.

I know of the Eyelead but have no practical experience with it. Most of the good ones come with a supply of contact paper with which the used surface of the stamping tool is cleaned by dabbing it on the paper.

I use these sticky stamping tools with great success, however knowing about the problem as described above I always stamp the tool on to the surface of a clean CD before attacking the sensor with it. (You can us a cheap CD for this as long as it is new and clean) If the stamping tool has deteriorated it will be clearly visible and if this is the case - chuck it.

Cheers
Good advice, also you can clean these for reuse with soap and water to regenerate them.He is going to have to wet clean his Sensor now to remove the sticky residue left behind.
05-01-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I always stamp the tool on to the surface of a clean CD before attacking the sensor with it. (You can us a cheap CD for this as long as it is new and clean) If the stamping tool has deteriorated it will be clearly visible and if this is the case - chuck it.
That's a great idea. I also consider myself an "old hand" with sensor cleaning, but I'll be adding this step to my process. Thanks for the tip
05-01-2017, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
...also you can clean these for reuse with soap and water to regenerate them.
Yes this is true and I suggested this some time ago here in this forum. However don't do this if via the CD test you have established that the material has broken down. If the CD test reveals no breakdown and yet the stickiness is somewhat diminished it simply means the contact surface of the tool has gummed up and has lost its surface tension.

This then can be restored thus:
Run warm water from the tap, add a tiny bit of dishwasher liquid and rub the surface with a finger under the running water until all the soap is washed off. You will know when. Then shake off excess water but do not dry off with a towel or cloth no matter how lint free . Rather let it air dry. Then repeat the CD test. If all is clear you are ready to use it. By the way you will be amazed how much of the stickiness can be restored this way.

Because I have sensitive skin I prefer to use none perfumed "Soap Free" soap called QV Wash a lot. (It is also used in hospitals before surgery). Available from supermarkets. This is particularly suitable for this task.

Cheers

05-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have yet had to wet clean either my K-5 II or K-S2. So far if something shows up that the internal sensor cleaner didn't shake loose, a Rocket air blower was able to dislodge it. Far different from when I was using a Canon 5D, that camera was a dust magnet and required a lot of sensor wet cleaning. I change lens just as often with my Pentax, but it's sensor doesn't attract dust like the 5D did.
05-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I have yet had to wet clean either my K-5 II or K-S2. So far if something shows up that the internal sensor cleaner didn't shake loose, a Rocket air blower was able to dislodge it. Far different from when I was using a Canon 5D, that camera was a dust magnet and required a lot of sensor wet cleaning. I change lens just as often with my Pentax, but it's sensor doesn't attract dust like the 5D did.
Pollen. I've had pollen dust on my camera sensors on several occasions, when changing lenses in (literally) the field around May or June where there are lots of flowers. Sticky stuff. Comes off just fine with a wet clean, though
05-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidamin Quote
Hello everyone,

Kind regards
Hamid
Were the ones with odd color tone shot under fluorescent lights with a shutter speed above 1/30th of a second?
05-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where is this guy?
05-01-2017, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Where is this guy?
Probably enjoying his life outside of the forums.

I used to have one of those too, now I come to think of it...

05-02-2017, 02:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Probably enjoying his life outside of the forums.

I used to have one of those too, now I come to think of it...

What ? that is not possible LOL
05-02-2017, 05:48 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey guys,

My asppologie for being absent. A little bit illness is what we have in circulation in this our cold country (Denmark).
Well I think I have found the source of my problem.

Wrong WB settings for the particular shots. I was shooting with a studioflash but the my WB was sat to flourscent as Parallax mention. ISO 100, 1/125th of a sec.

But I noticed that my sensor is still dirty. There is just one persistant spot on the upper right area of the picture that bothers me. It can though be removed in postprocess but it annoys me. Would wet cleaning be the way to get it out of the way? I know it is riski but would repeated cleaning of the sensor damage it?

Thank you once again.

Kind regards
Hamid
05-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Wrong WB setting for the lighting explains it.

Keep in mind that if you do find yourself shooting under fluorescent lights you're likely to get color fluctuations regardless of WB setting if your shutter speed is above 1/30th.