Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Do we know exactly from which camera model the AF-Assist support on the older models disappeared ?
I'm not sure when it started (I think it did with the K-1) and what camera models are affected.

However, as the OP was specifically asking for an "HSS flash for K-1" I thought it was worth pointing out that the older Pentax flash models do not provide AF-assist functionality on the K-1.

07-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #17

You may want to check compatibility with Sigma EF-610 DG Super, which has definitely stronger HSS output than Pentax AF-540FGZ, which combined with Sigma's 105mm internal auto-zoom lens (just 85mm with Pentax strobe) could make the difference outdoors with longer focals (but beware stronger Sigma's overexposures at closer distances).

Last edited by Prakticant; 07-18-2017 at 06:58 AM.
07-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I ended up bying Pentax 360 FGZII. Shooting with it on camera never been easier )))

But now I'm looking for wireless trigger for P-TTL and HSS outdoors.
Can't find more information about Acon with K-1, it seems the best option, but I really have no clue.
07-23-2017, 06:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Can't find more information about Acon with K-1, it seems the best option, but I really have no clue.
The Acon trigger should work with the K-1 but it would be best to find someone who can confirm that.

Personally, I wouldn't call the Acon the best option as it is bad at supporting manual control and P-TTL as such has limited options. The Cactus V6II already supports HSS with a K-1 and will support P-TTL once Cactus have finished their X-TTL version for Pentax.

07-23-2017, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Acon works perfectly on my K-1 providing both HSS and P-TTL, so please, no FUD! Thank you.

It is also smaller and cheaper than the Cactus V6 II ... whichI I also own a pair of.

The Acons are the ones that go into my bag unless I'm bringing my Godox strobe.

Last edited by clackers; 07-23-2017 at 06:58 AM.
07-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I ordered Acon yesterday, after reading the thread about it here on forum. Gonna find out soon how it may work. I will be happy with one flash on location for the beginning.
Also need to find proper softbox and reflector, invite a human model (not a cat ) and go practice.
07-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Acon works perfectly on my K-1 providing both HSS and P-TTL, so please, no FUD!
I said it should work. Where is the "FUD" in that?

Unless I've used a product myself or know of positive reports from others I trust, I'd never say more than that. There are even P-TTL incompatibilities between genuine Pentax products (newer cameras cannot use the AF-assist light on older Pentax flashes, even though all these products are supposed to support P-TTL). If you add the third-party factor to that, it would be crazy to state anything else but "should" unless you have proof that it works.

That's just reasonable and has nothing to do with "FUD".

07-24-2017, 05:03 AM   #23

I attached Sigma 610 Super flash unit to Pentax K-3 body.
There is near-infrared pattern sent by flash unit, provided we set camera for single autofocus (AF-single) or auto autofocus (as this is not working when in AF-C continuous mode), and one uses optical viewfinder.
When LCD viewfinder is in use, K-3 sends its own green focus-assist light from the on-camera LED. The pity is on-camera LED beam interferes strongly (is shadowed) with lenses' shades, and even with unshaded bigger lenses (i.e. 200mm/2.8).

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
newer cameras cannot use the AF-assist light on older Pentax flashes, even though all these products are supposed to support P-TTL
07-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I attached Sigma 610 Super flash unit to Pentax K-3 body.
That's a Pentax-compatible flash from Sigma.

I was talking about the Pentax AF 360/540 FGZ, for instance. Their AF-assist lights no longer work with some modern Pentax camera models.
07-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I said it should work. Where is the "FUD" in that?

Unless I've used a product myself or know of positive reports from others I trust, I'd never say more than that. There are even P-TTL incompatibilities between genuine Pentax products (newer cameras cannot use the AF-assist light on older Pentax flashes, even though all these products are supposed to support P-TTL). If you add the third-party factor to that, it would be crazy to state anything else but "should" unless you have proof that it works.

That's just reasonable and has nothing to do with "FUD".
Well, now you know that it does, there's no reason in future to promote the 'U' in FUD, just let actual owners give their opinion.
07-25-2017, 04:29 AM   #26

AF assist light

Genuine Pentax AF-540FGZ infra-red assist light works with my K-3 the same way as Sigma 610 Super does (while red-light pattern of Pentax strobe seems much bigger in size on the target).
So please define precisely 'some modern Pentax camera models'.

-----
I was talking about the Pentax AF 360/540 FGZ, for instance. Their AF-assist lights no longer work with some modern Pentax camera models.
07-25-2017, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
So please define precisely 'some modern Pentax camera models'.
Page 111 of the K-1 manual states that an AF-assist light on an external flash is not available neither with the AF 540 FGZ nor with the AF 360 FGZ.

Page 116 of the K-S2 manual states the same restriction as above.

Page 120 of the K-P manual states the same restriction as above.

I'm not claiming that this list is exhaustive, but I think three camera models already justify my earlier statement.

BTW, I also found these reports about the K-01 having the same issue.