Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I need HSS flash for K-1

I know it have been a few threads about flash for K-1, but I have kind of narrowed question.

I need the flash with HSS function with K-1 on camera, not off. Yes, for shooting at bright day light at high speed and wide open, or near wide open aperture. .
What the best option considering performance, power, and reliability can be?

I'm thinking about Pentax newer generations, either 360II, or 540II, but what about the generation before it?

05-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should work as well I believe.

I have a Metz 58AF-1 and it has HSS.

05-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Should work as well I believe.

I have a Metz 58AF-1 and it has HSS.
My cheap Bolt VS-510P has HSS button, at in theory should work with K-1, but it does not work with K-1 no matter how I've tried.
05-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I know it have been a few threads about flash for K-1, but I have kind of narrowed question.

I need the flash with HSS function with K-1 on camera, not off. Yes, for shooting at bright day light at high speed and wide open, or near wide open aperture. .
What the best option considering performance, power, and reliability can be?

I'm thinking about Pentax newer generations, either 360II, or 540II, but what about the generation before it?
Certainly the 360 FGZ, 540 FGZ and 360II, or 540II will deliver HSS on the K-1. I own the 540 FGZ. For your stated application, don't scrimp on flash output. Even for outdoor fill, HSS severely limits range. Anything over about 6 feet gets pretty dicey at high shutter speeds even with the 540.

05-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #5

I am selling a pentax and Metz flash on the for sale board.
05-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, I second that, you really need all the power you can get for HSS.

The older and newer versions of the Pentax AF-540 FGZ flashes are essentially the same, and perform the same for HSS operation. It will come down to budget, whether you want the power-pack option or the WR, the LED light etc.

There's a full run-down of all the differences plus full coverage of the controls and interfaces in my 'Pentax Flash Guide' .....download the PDF from the link below my post here.
05-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

Selling the external battery pack and the Flash in the marketplace

05-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote

The older and newer versions of the Pentax AF-540 FGZ flashes are essentially the same, and perform the same for HSS operation. It will come down to budget, whether you want the power-pack option or the WR, the LED light etc.

There's a full run-down of all the differences plus full coverage of the controls and interfaces in my 'Pentax Flash Guide' .....download the PDF from the link below my post here.
This is true. I have both generations of the 540 and have used them extensively for HSS for both the K-1 and the K-3. I prefer version 2 of the 540 because of it's WR and smaller size but I keep version 1 with me as a backup.
05-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Korg Quote
I am selling a pentax and Metz flash on the for sale board.
Yes, I checked all the available sales on marketplace. Need to learn a bit more to decide.

---------- Post added 05-13-17 at 12:55 PM ----------

Thanks, I took a brief look on your guide, and will read it later on.

---------- Post added 05-13-17 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
This is true. I have both generations of the 540 and have used them extensively for HSS for both the K-1 and the K-3. I prefer version 2 of the 540 because of it's WR and smaller size but I keep version 1 with me as a backup.
I'm glad to hear from the master. I read that newer version does not have bounce card, but LED light instead. What do you prefer personally? I don't plan to make video, do I need that LED?
05-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm glad to hear from the master. I read that newer version does not have bounce card, but LED light instead. What do you prefer personally? I don't plan to make video, do I need that LED?
I hardly use the LED light but it does occasionally come in handy. I also don't use a bounce card either since I have the lightsphere modifier. You mentioned using the flash as on camera. I would recommend a flash sync cord instead. The version from Vello is what I have and use.
05-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The LED as a catchlight has the advantage that it remains front-facing for all types of bounce use. The old style white panel is only useful when the flash head is pointed upwards, not sideways. I believe that often the nicest bounced light comes from sideways angles, and so the white panel is no use like that. The LED would be useful in that situation, although I should add that its effect is not particularly strong, it is a very subtle fill-in, and there's no way to control its strength.

I actually use the LED mostly as a focussing aid when shooting macro stuff with manual tubes and a stopped down manual lens. At F16 it can be impossible to see anything even in daylight, so I mount the flash and put the LED on while I focus .... that way I don't have to move at all and can focus precisely and shoot at the same time.
05-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Inexplicably, Pentax do not support the AF-assist light on the older generation, so if that feature is important to you then that rules the older ones out.
05-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Do we know exactly from which camera model the AF-Assist support on the older models disappeared ? My K7 is fine with it.
05-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I hardly use the LED light but it does occasionally come in handy. I also don't use a bounce card either since I have the lightsphere modifier. You mentioned using the flash as on camera. I would recommend a flash sync cord instead. The version from Vello is what I have and use.
That means that you use flash off camera, right? (kind of stupid question, but to make sure)

---------- Post added 05-13-17 at 08:25 PM ----------

Do we know exactly from which camera model the AF-Assist support on the older models disappeared ? My K7 is fine with it.
I have AF-assist light on Bolt, and found it very useful in very low light, basically in dark. I'd like to have that option with K-1 and Pentax flash.
05-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think you would have that feature with the K1 and the newer 'MkII' versions of the Pentax flashes. I think ClassA earlier was referring to the removal of support for the AF 'spotbeam' on the previous flash models with newer DSLRs ..... I'm just not sure exactly which model this this first happened with.

Be aware that the AF assist beam on the 'MkII' flashes uses the LED light. .....this is a strong white light that will be very obvious and distracting in dark situations (however there is a custom function to set the brightness level to either 1/1 or 1/2) . This is different to the previous flashes which use a red 'cross hair' pattern, which is fairly unobtrusive.