Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2017, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Easy AF Improvements for K-1 - Firmware Suggestions

I have been using the K-1 as a sports camera over thr last year, and it has been performing admirably (paired with 300/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 150-500/4.5-6.3 and 60-250/4 lenses), but there could be a few incredibly small tweeks to make the camera more suitable for this use.

So, I thought that'd I'd start a thread for easy to implement AF improvements for the Pentax K-1 cameta. Note, I am talking about EASY improvements, examples:

3 Horizontal x 3 Vertical AF Selection cross mode

Fx Button customisation/custom setting, activates dim/medium/bright LED in viewfinder in dim lighting (uses light meter to determine when to light viewfinder)

Fx Button customisation to switch from AF-C Speed Priority to AF-C Focus Priority, and visa versa.

Fx Button customisation to switch between single and multiple AF points.

Suggestion (user wissink): Fx Button customisation for focus distance preset (a la D-FA 150-450/4.5-5.6), allowing a user to quickly cycle between focus distances or to return to a pre-determined focus distance.

These are my suggestions. If the article takes off, I'd like these to be added and submitted to Ricoh for appraisal, along with others suggestions, as I do believe that the K-1 has the potential to be a much tighter camera with just a few small tweaks.

And now a few samples!!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Joshua A; 05-16-2017 at 06:07 AM.
05-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah useful ideas. I often lament having so many User modes cluttering things up because for the usual things I like doing it on the fly, keeps my brain engaged in why I'm doing something. The things you mentioned would be useful as a User setting for me. Well thought out.

Perhaps a Fx catch in focus option?

Or focus for specific (custom) distances like on the new DFA zooms? (push once for X distance, push again for X distance, push etc.)
05-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Ah useful ideas. I often lament having so many User modes cluttering things up because for the usual things I like doing it on the fly, keeps my brain engaged in why I'm doing something. The things you mentioned would be useful as a User setting for me. Well thought out.

Perhaps a Fx catch in focus option?

Or focus for specific (custom) distances like on the new DFA zooms? (push once for X distance, push again for X distance, push etc.)
Those are excellent ideas! One press focus buttons are awesome, and considering the multitude of buttons on the K-1, I'm sure that's something that could be done!
05-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent pics!