Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 02:19 AM   #1

Pentax K-1 Replacement D-Li90 Battery

Hello, fellow pentaxians!

I was wandering is there any good third party D-Li90 batteries for K-1, that i can buy from Aliexpress/Amazon or anywhere else?
I remember reading about Wasabi power (https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Pentax-D-LI90/dp/B004U6KIJS/ref=...eywords=D-Li90) on the forum, but can't find the thread.

Greetings!

05-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hope this thread is of use to you Markovo. Good luck.

Just picked up my K-1 and want to get additional batteries - PentaxForums.com
05-22-2017, 02:34 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I don't understand why many Pentaxian's try to save a few dollars with cheap, third party batteries. If you've spent the cash on a K-1 the camera was a considerable investment, why put it at risk to save $20 or $30? It's like buying a high performance automobile and then putting cheap rubber (tires) on it. The low-end tires (and camera battery) might do ok or they may fail horrifically. Isn't your investment worth protecting?
05-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try and get the original if you can. But be careful of imitations on ebay - I bought one and complained, but the seller was nice enough to refund me. If not try PISEN brand. It may be difficult to find one though. However, it is 60% the price of a Ricoh original and is rated at only 1400mAH (tested). As for the rest, I have tried a few brands and the true capacities are anywhere from 600mAH to 1000mAH. Also they have very few charge cycles and degrades fast.

Last edited by sbc; 05-22-2017 at 02:59 AM.
05-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The difference between al these third party batteries is unknowable. Most likely they all come from the same factory. When they are being sold under an importers brand name they may be of higher quality, or not.... I know that mine loose capacity much quicker than the original Pentax battery, getting worse over time. It used to be about 2/3's battery life. Now it is more like half or 40% and there voltage is much less stable as battery life van go from full to 1 stripe very quickly. Maybe they aren't Li-ion at all but some other battery tech.

That being said the Hähnel brand has been getting some good reviews. But don't buy them through amazon or ebay, but via a reliable photo dealers because no doubt the Chinese have been putting the brand on cheaper crap batteries:

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/Typ/5099113502018.html

Last edited by D1N0; 05-22-2017 at 03:00 AM.
05-22-2017, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
I don't understand why many Pentaxian's try to save a few dollars with cheap, third party batteries. If you've spent the cash on a K-1 the camera was a considerable investment, why put it at risk to save $20 or $30? It's like buying a high performance automobile and then putting cheap rubber (tires) on it. The low-end tires (and camera battery) might do ok or they may fail horrifically. Isn't your investment worth protecting?
In my case, at where I am located, I can't even buy the originals from the shops - they are special orders only. What the shops have however are cheap made in China batteries with high profit margins.

I even tried buying from B&H but with the airline restriction on battery, I was unable to complete the transaction.

---------- Post added 05-22-17 at 17:53 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The difference between al these third party batteries is unknowable. Most like they all come from the same factory. When they are being sold under an importers brand name they may be of higher quality, or not.... I know that mine loose capacity much quicker than the original Pentax battery, getting worse over time. It used to be about 2/3's battery life. Now it is more like half or 40% and there voltage is much less stable as battery life van go from full to 1 stripe very quickly. Maybe they aren't Li-ion at all but some other battery tech.
They are Li-ion but of lower grades. The grades A are sold to reputable brands like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung etc. and the lower quality stuff are repackaged by those Chinese companies.

Those cheap Li-ion have high internal resistance and so the voltage drops a lot when a load is applied. Also as you have observed, the cycle life is comparatively short.

Last edited by sbc; 05-22-2017 at 02:54 AM.
05-22-2017, 04:23 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This. If you can get your hands on a replacement Pentax battery, definitely go for it. Maybe amazon.de has some? They can probably ship via surface mail within Europe.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2017, 04:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
In my case, at where I am located, I can't even buy the originals from the shops - they are special orders only. What the shops have however are cheap made in China batteries with high profit margins.

I even tried buying from B&H but with the airline restriction on battery, I was unable to complete the transaction.

---------- Post added 05-22-17 at 17:53 ----------

They are Li-ion but of lower grades. The grades A are sold to reputable brands like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung etc. and the lower quality stuff are repackaged by those Chinese companies.

Those cheap Li-ion have high internal resistance and so the voltage drops a lot when a load is applied. Also as you have observed, the cycle life is comparatively short.
I understand how difficult it can be to purchase a D-LI90. I live on a remote piece of frigid rock in the North Atlantic, surrounded by Artic currents and icebergs. Last year I ordered a D-LI90 and it took 9 weeks to arrive by ground and boat. Expect the process to be slow but not impossible. No you can't order lithium ion batteries to be transported by air - they are a restricted dangerous good and can combust with rapid pressure/temperature changes. Ground/ocean transport works just fine. In our highly connected digital world - not everything is instant and some things are worth waiting for.
05-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This. If you can get your hands on a replacement Pentax battery, definitely go for it. Maybe amazon.de has some? They can probably ship via surface mail within Europe.
So, you mean i get a non original battery if i find one? I just need a second battery for backup. I do not plan to use it as a main battery. The original one has enough lifetime for me in most cases, but its nice to have a back up, just in case...
05-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I've had excellent results from Wasabi batteries. A 2-pack plus charger costs less than a single Pentax battery.

The Wasabi batteries have a good capacity. I tested capacity when new. My oldest batteries are 4 years old. They still seem to work fine, but I haven't re-tested to see if they produce as many shots as they used to.

The Wasabi charger is different than the Pentax charger. It has one less terminal which might increase the risk of overcharging. The Wasabi wall plug is IMO better than the long Pentax cord, plus Wasabi also comes with a 12V cord to charge from a car. Keep the Pentax charger for home use, and bring the Wasabi when traveling. That gives a good blend of battery life and convenience.
05-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The cord on the Pentax charger is ridiculous and it has annoyed me so much for so many years that I bought some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OGXY72?tag=pentaxforums-20&

... and I'm not looking back. They're kind of expensive for what they are, but they are much easier to travel with!
05-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a mix of Pentax and generic batteries, all around a year+ old. One of the generics looks like it has just bellied up, and seat of the pants feels like the generic ones are not holding charge as well as the Pentax ones. I rotate the charge and use of the batteries so they're used in the same sequence, and they should be getting the same number of times in the camera. Nothing scientific, but feel like the Pentax ones are doing better a year down the road. So, I'd get some Pentax ones when/if possible, even if you grabbed some generics to have on hand now. A few days ago I went for a walk around the neighborhood with a freshly charged generic in my K3II to have it conk out in about 10 shots with the message "battery depleted". Didn't have a spare since I was just grabbing the camera while on a casual walk, and it was a fresh charge..... Won't do that again.
05-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
Hello, fellow pentaxians!

I was wandering is there any good third party D-Li90 batteries for K-1, that i can buy from Aliexpress/Amazon or anywhere else?
I remember reading about Wasabi power (https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Pentax-D-LI90/dp/B004U6KIJS/ref=...eywords=D-Li90) on the forum, but can't find the thread.

Greetings!
Do not buy that garbage. It has 2300mAh declared but in fact it acts like it is less than 1000mAh and drain very quickly.
If you want good quality 3rd party replacement for D-Li90 buy Hahnel HL-PL90 which is German made replacement for Pentax D-Li90.
It has exact specification like original D-Li90 and it acts in according to that.
I am using two of those batteries for more than 6 years and they still works fine.
Typical price is around 30€.

From my 6 years expirience it is very hard to find good D-Li90 replacement from NONAME Chinese manufacturer and it won't cost lower than 25€ if it is really good.
05-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'll second what banep says about cheap batteries, the Wasabi Power batteries specifically.

Granted, the K-01 I was using at the time is a battery hog because of the always-on display, but after about a year of use my Wasabi batteries would last about fifteen minutes in the camera before dying. Thumbs down.

The original Pentax battery that came with the camera is still going strong, and I just gave the camera (and 2012-dated battery!) to my son.
05-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
So, you mean i get a non original battery if i find one? I just need a second battery for backup. I do not plan to use it as a main battery. The original one has enough lifetime for me in most cases, but its nice to have a back up, just in case...
No, get a original Pentax battery rather than a third-party one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: