Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I took a look at the ES last night - only works in LV and shake reduction is disabled as indicated by the icon at the top of the LV image. I'm curious however, when the shutter is pressed, the screen goes black, then there's a noise almost like the mechanical shutter, the preview image comes up, and then after the preview period there's a noise like the mirror is being returned to it's normal position (although that can't be the case since the image goes back to a LV so the mirror must still be up). Both noises introduce some shock you can feel while holding the camera. Anyone know what these are? I assume both take place after the ES image is obtained so they shouldn't affect the image through vibration?????

Sorry - don't mean to hijack this thread but the question seemed closely enough related to the OPs inquiry about ES and since we're talking about use of the ES............

Also, in talking about the use of ES with the viewfinder, I don't think that's practical since the mirror would have to pop up creating a vibration prior to the ES doing its thing, negating the primary advantage of using the ES in the first place. If you have a delay between the mirror flip and the ES firing (so vibrations could die out), you would be out of luck for any moving action since the subject matter would change in that time (a problem in older digital cameras which captured images with a delay from the time the shutter button was pressed). When you're using LV, the ES can activate almost instantly, grabbing what is displayed on the screen and with no vibration at all (at least that's the idea).

Last edited by Bob 256; 05-27-2017 at 04:04 PM.
05-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Also, in talking about the use of ES with the viewfinder, I don't think that's practical since the mirror would have to pop up creating a vibration prior to the ES doing its thing, negating the primary advantage of using the ES in the first place.
SR seems to cope better with mirror shake than it does with shutter shake. So if SR can be left on, that may not be a problem.

But that raises the question of why SR is disabled when using ES in LV. Does the moving sensor make the ES somehow ragged causing uneven illumination?
02-14-2023, 11:05 AM   #18

I'm glad I found this. I had the same issue when I placed the K-1 in LV, the flash on top wouldn't fire. I didn't realize the ES was on. In fact, I didn't know the K-1 had ES, I thought that came along with the KP and K-3iii. You learn something new every day.

UPDATE: I now know why I didn't know about ES. I have it in one of my K-1s, not both. The ES was the result of a firmware adjustment I made after getting my first K-1, something my recently bought used K-1 (in mint shape) did not get apparently. I hope to make that adjustment soon.

Last edited by LXNights; 02-14-2023 at 11:11 AM.