Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Travelling with K-1, but forgot charger. Advice?

I left Toronto for Britain with my K-1, a small selection of lenses and, I could have sworn, a charger and spare battery. Yet when I opened my suitcase, there was no trace of the battery and charger. (I feel like an idiot; I must have left them behind.) I'm flying to Greece in a few days via Heathrow. If I had to, I could go into London or Colchester, but I'd prefer to continue enjoying beautiful Suffolk until the last minute. Is the D-LI90 an industry standard? Is it likely that I could buy a charger that would work at a Heathrow electronics shop? If I need to go to a proper camera shop, can English forum members recommend a place in London or Colchester? (Or Athens?) Advice gratefully appreciated. Many thanks! (I posted this in the show your K-1 photos thread, but realized that it probably should be here.)

06-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm sure someone will help. I'm too far away. Do you have Amazon Prime? Get one delivered to you.

---------- Post added 06-11-17 at 03:11 AM ----------

Where are you at present?

---------- Post added 06-11-17 at 03:12 AM ----------

Where are you at present?
06-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #3
Forum Member

Try SRS Microsystems
Address: 90-92 The Parade, High Street, Watford, WD17 1AW
Email: info@srsmicrosystems.co.uk
Open: Monday to Saturday 9.00am-5.30pm
Late Night Thursday till 6.30pm
Tel: 01923 226602 or 220558
06-11-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Travelling with K-1, but forgot charger. Advice?
Try giving these guys a call, usually a very helpful bunch.

Pentax D-BC90 Battery Charger

Just got beaten, by the post above.

06-11-2017, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, we've all done that at one time or another, I think

I don't know of anyone in Suffolk or Essex that stocks (or has "in stock") the D-Li90. Park Cameras in the West End of London have it, at 59. They may also do some compatible third-party batteries and chargers.

The easiest and cheapest solution is if you know someone locally with Amazon Prime membership, as they could order the necessary items for you and have them delivered tomorrow. If I was closer, I'd happily do it for you, but I'm way up North and would have to post onwards to you, which could take a couple of days.

EDIT: If you get really stuck, I could charge up a couple of my third party batteries and post them to you first thing tomorrow morning for next day delivery. That would at least give you a few hundred shots to play with

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-11-2017 at 03:41 AM.
06-11-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many, many thanks for all the helpful advice! I'm staying with in Essex, just outside Colchester, and I think one of these next day delivery options will work. (I'm off for Greece, bright and early Tues. morning.

---------- Post added 06-11-17 at 06:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ah, we've all done that at one time or another, I think

I don't know of anyone in Suffolk or Essex that stocks (or has "in stock") the D-Li90. Park Cameras in the West End of London have it, at 59. They may also do some compatible third-party batteries and chargers.

The easiest and cheapest solution is if you know someone locally with Amazon Prime membership, as they could order the necessary items for you and have them delivered tomorrow. If I was closer, I'd happily do it for you, but I'm way up North and would have to post onwards to you, which could take a couple of days.

EDIT: If you get really stuck, I could charge up a couple of my third party batteries and post them to you first thing tomorrow morning for next day delivery. That would at least give you a few hundred shots to play with
Incredibly kind of you, Mike. Think I'm set. Going to ring Sun systems right now.
06-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many, many thanks for all the helpful advice! I'm staying with in Essex, just outside Colchester, and I think one of these next day delivery options will work. (I'm off for Greece, bright and early Tues. morning.

---------- Post added 06-11-17 at 06:54 AM ----------

Incredibly kind of you, Mike. Think I'm set. Going to ring Sun systems right now.
I think you've solved your problem, but if you haven't and you end up in Athens looking for batteries and charger you can go there: GPS, Wearables, ??????????? & Outdoor ????, ???????????????, Mobile ???????? | eGalaxy.gr

You'll find anything you want in stock

Happy holidays!
06-11-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I left Toronto for Britain with my K-1, a small selection of lenses and, I could have sworn, a charger and spare battery. Yet when I opened my suitcase, there was no trace of the battery and charger. (I feel like an idiot; I must have left them behind.) I'm flying to Greece in a few days via Heathrow. If I had to, I could go into London or Colchester, but I'd prefer to continue enjoying beautiful Suffolk until the last minute. Is the D-LI90 an industry standard? Is it likely that I could buy a charger that would work at a Heathrow electronics shop? If I need to go to a proper camera shop, can English forum members recommend a place in London or Colchester? (Or Athens?) Advice gratefully appreciated. Many thanks! (I posted this in the show your K-1 photos thread, but realized that it probably should be here.)
Jva59, if you can source a battery but you're totally stuck for a charger then I could loan you a spare I have. I live in southern England so a circuitous trip to Heathrow from Suffolk, via Hampshire, may just save you ...

06-11-2017, 05:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Jva59, if you can source a battery but you're totally stuck for a charger then I could loan you a spare I have. I live in southern England so a circuitous trip to Heathrow from Suffolk, via Hampshire, may just save you ...
A million thanks, Barry! Alas, this is going to be the trip in which dates don't align. I suspect that 'next working day' delivery offed by some of the web sites kindly recommended by forum members above means for orders placed on a working day, and naturally I am leaving on Tues. Ah well. There will be other trips. I shall just have to feel a bit of a fool lugging my useless kit about.
06-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A million thanks, Barry! Alas, this is going to be the trip in which dates don't align. I suspect that 'next working day' delivery offed by some of the web sites kindly recommended by forum members above means for orders placed on a working day, and naturally I am leaving on Tues. Ah well. There will be other trips. I shall just have to feel a bit of a fool lugging my useless kit about.
Shame, though you'll now be able to do that thing that we photographers often get accused of, that is actually 'see' what's in front of us Have a nice trip, though why you want to 'spoil' the rest of your trip and leave Suffolk behind you is baffling ...
06-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just an idea. I do not know how desperate you are to try it but it could work. I don't know if this will destroy the battery or not but my guess is that it will not.

You can charge a battery with a battery. I did it once when my car battery was dead in the middle of nowhere, in the hole so pushing the car was not an option, and I've used a battery from an electric drill to charge the car battery just enough so that it could start the car. The same should be possible with a camera battery as well. You just need to improvise a connection that will stick to your camera battery while it's being charged. 7.4V cannot be substituted directly via AA batteries but 7.5V can by serially connecting 5 AA batteries. I think to charge the Pentax battery, you would need a parallel connection of two serially connected rows of 5AA batteries. So, a bit of wire, duck-tape and 10 AA batteries could charge your battery I think. Positive to positive, negative to negative.
06-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Battery grip

This one reason why I always like having a battery grip that uses garden variety disposable AAA batteries, which tend to be available almost anywhere.
06-11-2017, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Order it today and have it delivered to your hotel in Greece.
06-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Below is Ricoh/Pentax UK contact information in case you need it

Ricoh Imaging UK Ltd.
Address: Swan House Suite 4, 54 Station Lane, Hornchurch RM12 6NB

They have a Pentax product store on their site.
06-11-2017, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Once again, many many thanks for the kind suggestions and offers of help. Here is the latest, and with a bit of luck last, chapter in the saga: I've ordered this from Amazon.de, spending almost as much to have it shipped as for the thing itself, and having it sent to my hotel in Athens. It's a risk, but worth taking I think. If it works, and does so for the duration of my trip, it will be worth it. Anything beyond that will be a bonus.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007929G98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1