Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 File system questions

I haven't had my K-1 long so bear with me if this is a newby question. I noticed that the K-1 generates a new folder every so often. It seems that if I don't use the camera for a period of time, the next time I take pictures, they end up in a new folder. Can someone explain how this works? Also, if pictures taken are stored as DNG and JPEG (two cards), will deleting a given image delete both file types for that image (on the separate SD cards)? I also noted that deleted images end up in a folder of their own - they don't show up on camera preview but do show up if the card is read on a computer. Is that a trash bin of sorts? Any comments? Thanks.

06-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I haven't had my K-1 long so bear with me if this is a newby question. I noticed that the K-1 generates a new folder every so often. It seems that if I don't use the camera for a period of time, the next time I take pictures, they end up in a new folder. Can someone explain how this works? Also, if pictures taken are stored as DNG and JPEG (two cards), will deleting a given image delete both file types for that image (on the separate SD cards)? I also noted that deleted images end up in a folder of their own - they don't show up on camera preview but do show up if the card is read on a computer. Is that a trash bin of sorts? Any comments? Thanks.
I think that the camera creates a new directory daily, although sometimes it seems like it's every time you turn the camera on.
There is an option in the menus about creating a new directory, but I think that's for forcing the camera to create a new directory. (a good idea if you're doing several shoots in a session or a day.)

If you're looking at photos and hit the trashcan icon, it should ask if you want to delete the RAW, the JPG, or RAW+JPG.

I have not seen the behaviour of things ending up in a trash can folder when deleted... HOWEVER, I have noticed, that if you're recording all images to BOTH card slots, and you delete an image, it is only deleted from ONE card slot. This makes me think that if you're recording one image to each card, one RAW, one JPG, that it might only delete one when you're deleting, and the other may remain. Certainly an oversight in the deletion routines.
06-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, if pictures taken are stored as DNG and JPEG (two cards), will deleting a given image delete both file types for that image (on the separate SD cards)?
The camera lets you choose at the time of deletion.

I noticed that the K-1 generates a new folder every so often.
It defaults to a new folder each day, or every time you take 1000 photos.

I also noted that deleted images end up in a folder of their own - they don't show up on camera preview but do show up if the card is read on a computer. Is that a trash bin of sorts?
That's just how the file system works. Eventually all deleted images will be overwritten, and thus unrecoverable. They're not actually put in to a recycle bit folder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the info Heebie and Adam. I didn't notice any choices (delete from just one card or both) when I delete files though. Maybe I missed something? That could explain my having the deleted files in a folder however - if they are being deleted from the DNG card and not from the JPEG card - just moved to a separate folder. I'll try to do some more observations and will take special note next time I delete a file to see if an option shows.