Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I also forget to mention that maybe you can get your paid taxes (13%) back,
The Visitor Rebate Program was changed in 2007 to the Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program and on March 22nd, 2017 the Canadian Government proposed to eliminate the FCTIP all together. According to the Canada Revenue Agency you may still be able to claim a refund on the accommodation portion of your honeymoon tour, but the only way to get refunded for GST on the purchase of a K-1 is to convince the CRA that you needed the camera in order to be an exhibitor at a convention in Canada (it isn't clear, but most likely the convention also had to take place before March 22nd). Strange, but true.

My suggestion is to order the camera from either The Camera Store or McBain's in Alberta, saving yourself anywhere from 6% to 10% in tax (depending on the location of the retailer). Provinces with a sales tax that isn't harmonized may allow retailers to forgo collecting PST for out of province residents, for something like a new vehicle the paperwork is worth the hassle, but I don't know if that is allowed in Quebec or if you will find any retailers in Quebec who will do that for you, even if it is allowed.

Regarding the delights to be found by exploring Belleville, I drove through it once in 1985 by taking the scenic route from Kingston to Toronto; in the dozens of trips to Ontario I've made since then, I have never felt an urge to return to Belleville. I went to New Orleans (Louisiana, not Ontario) for my honeymoon, but Quebec should be very nice as well.

06-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I ordered a K-1, a 28-105 a light meter...all came within 2-3 weeks. I think your long delivery times are more than mine, due to your location in Newfoundland. We live in Western Canada and one of our kids lives in NL. When we send packages it doesn't take all that long to get to say...Halifax...but then there's the ferry crossing to NL and the long delivery time once in NL. We have been surprised at how long it takes for packages to get to Newfoundland. We follow our package journey via the Canada Post tracking system and have seen that the extra time to get to NL...is from the Maritimes to NL.

But I agree 9 + weeks is quite excessive. I think Henry s along with other camera stores mostly special order from Pentax Canada. I don't know where the holdup is ...in that routing.
Getting things to the island adds 2 days if it's moving through Canada Post or Purolator (which is owned by Canada Post). The trailer leaves Moncton and goes directly to North Sydney where it makes a 6 hour crossing. It takes another day to cross the island as the trailer stops in Stephenville, Corner Brook, Deer Lake, Grand Falls, Gander, Clarenville and finally St. John's. In January and February transportation can be impacted by storm delays while in March and April - ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence can prevent ferries from getting through (causing delays of 3+ days).

In my day job I help businesses integrate eCommerce platforms, so 9 weeks+ is well outside the wheelhouse of a normal delivery expectation. I have special ordered custom made anime costumes for my kids from China and have the items arrive in 3-4 weeks. I just don't understand why Henry's is desperately slow.
06-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Getting things to the island adds 2 days if it's moving through Canada Post or Purolator (which is owned by Canada Post). The trailer leaves Moncton and goes directly to North Sydney where it makes a 6 hour crossing. It takes another day to cross the island as the trailer stops in Stephenville, Corner Brook, Deer Lake, Grand Falls, Gander, Clarenville and finally St. John's. In January and February transportation can be impacted by storm delays while in March and April - ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence can prevent ferries from getting through (causing delays of 3+ days).

Our experience (Canada Post), was different with packages. We shipped to a much smaller center than St. John's. Our experience is based on three packages sent over the past year. Not extensive experience for sure. One was during the Xmas season, which could add time due to heavy demand, the others were not. But we now, send our parcels to NL ahead of predicted delivery, to ensure timely delivery, just to be on the safe side.

In my day job I help businesses integrate eCommerce platforms, so 9 weeks+ is well outside the wheelhouse of a normal delivery expectation. I have special ordered custom made anime costumes for my kids from China and have the items arrive in 3-4 weeks. I just don't understand why Henry's is desperately slow.
I did agree before that 9+ weeks was very long. My suggestion is that you contact Henry's, ask them why. I think Henry's along with other camera stores mostly special order from Pentax Canada. I don't know where the holdup is ...in that routing.
Only Henry's can provide the answer for you.
06-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I did agree before that 9+ weeks was very long. My suggestion is that you contact Henry's, ask them why. I think Henry's along with other camera stores mostly special order from Pentax Canada. I don't know where the holdup is ...in that routing.
Only Henry's can provide the answer for you.
I did inquire with Henry's as to why it took so long. Their explanation was that Pentax Canada was the issue and that Pentax/Ricoh had very little selection in their Canadian warehouse. Henry's told me that the delays were getting items from Pentax/Ricoh that had to be shipped from a warehouse in the Philippines. It was after that that I contacted Pentax Canada - who were able to provide my order details and when the order was actually placed by Henry's - a month after I had paid. So now I go to a local camera store, where I also pay up front for Pentax glass that's not stocked by Pentax/Ricoh in Canada - my last 2 lens special orders arrived 3-4 weeks (one order arrived in 3 weeks, the other in 3 weeks and 4 days).

It just goes to show the difference in service performance when an independent merchant is interested in building a lasting customer relationship. I haven't even got started on the number of times staff at Henry's have told me that "no one shoots Pentax anymore" or "Pentax uses old technology and has the worst AF". Those are stories for another day; but each is the result dealing with Canikon shooters that have no knowledge outside of the big two.

06-16-2017, 03:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
I did inquire with Henry's as to why it took so long. Their explanation was that Pentax Canada was the issue and that Pentax/Ricoh had very little selection in their Canadian warehouse. Henry's told me that the delays were getting items from Pentax/Ricoh that had to be shipped from a warehouse in the Philippines. It was after that that I contacted Pentax Canada - who were able to provide my order details and when the order was actually placed by Henry's - a month after I had paid. So now I go to a local camera store, where I also pay up front for Pentax glass that's not stocked by Pentax/Ricoh in Canada - my last 2 lens special orders arrived 3-4 weeks (one order arrived in 3 weeks, the other in 3 weeks and 4 days).

It just goes to show the difference in service performance when an independent merchant is interested in building a lasting customer relationship. I haven't even got started on the number of times staff at Henry's have told me that "no one shoots Pentax anymore" or "Pentax uses old technology and has the worst AF". Those are stories for another day; but each is the result dealing with Canikon shooters that have no knowledge outside of the big two.
This is so true... The only reason I went with Vistek in first place, the customer service.
Sometimes I deal with Henry's but in Oakville and they are better than Mississauga or Toronto location. They are also independently owned I think but running as franchise. They were so service oriented that they let me open multiple boxes of same lens and choose the one I like after testing them all on my body. They have some limited stock on Pentax stuff.
06-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It seems like Henry's isn't what it used to be 10-20 years ago, at least for Pentax gear. At the time, it was the place to go for online ordering with a lot of choice and great prices. Not so much today. Many items are now for special order only and prices are now amongst the highest in the country. Prices on used gear is often insane, at the same price or even sometime higher than the price NIB!

I guess they now run mostly on the fact they're located in the most densely populated area in the country, assuring them a decent amount of customers no matter what. They don't have to be best in the country, just being good enough is okay to get them a lot a volume and money from the big sellers...