Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thank you very much everybody for the prompt and detailed replies. I had sort of hoped that there would be a problem with the screen (joke !!!) so that my desire for the K-1 would be lessened, but not so, it has increased. At around $3,500NZ, unfortunately getting one with have to wait awhile.

06-24-2017, 04:53 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
For me it certainly has it's uses, maybe not all the time, but handy when required.
06-25-2017, 03:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I couldn't imagine shooting digital without it to be honest.

For me it sort of makes up for not having an exchangable focusing screen. I started shooting waist level 85% of the time with live view magnification.

There's barely a shot I take with the screen in its regular position.

Typical example of something that you don't hear about because it works well.
06-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What can we say? It works high and low ... it's not a gimmick.

06-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #20

It's great. I use it for perspectives, where else I'd have to be lying on the ground, and for long time exposures with ND filters.

Under normal daylight conditions, the K-1's liveview works fairly well whilst using an ND3.0 (10 stops, ND1000, "big stopper" in Lee parlance) filter, thus making it much easier to operate the camera - you can leave the filter screwed on and use the display for manual focusing and to compose the picture. In bright sunlight, the liveview even works with an ND4.8 (16 stops, ND100000, 1 stop darker than Lee's "super stopper") filter. Well, the image is rather noisy then, but it still helps getting the correct composition.
06-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just used mine an hour ago with the camera on a low tripod (which would give me neck pains to look through the VF). Also convenient to use with a telescope (like for shooting the upcoming eclipse) because you can point it at a lot of angles, and you don't have to touch the camera of VF which can introduce vibrations. (A downside is that you need to make sure the VF isn't catching any bright light from the rear when using the screen, which can affect exposure.)
06-28-2017, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

I’m going to go against the grain and say it’s a little stupid.

I do occasional tilt the screen up or down (e.g. for an overhead shot) but I have NEVER tilted it side-to-side. It barely goes to the sides anyway. And why in the world would you want to rotate it? In my opinion the whole thing is needlessly fussy, and if you look inside it actually takes up a lot of space. I am also a little worried about how fragile it looks, although I do recall that demo where a Pentax rep swung the camera holding only the LCD so it’s probably not a big deal.

I would rather have a simpler tilting mechanism like on the KP or 645Z and have the body be 1/4” thinner. Or just nothing at all and get even more space back.

06-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like it and use it a lot. That said, I do wish it had a larger range of motion. I came from teh Caon 70D which has a fully articulating screen so I could use it in portrait mode, landscape mode, rotated around different axses which made it much easier on bad back to get some shots. But as this is the only FF camera that has an articlated screen (Aside from the just announced Canon 6D Mk2 which is not in the same league as the K-1), it's better than not having one. I do like the varying levels of brightness on teh LCD. Daylight washes out most screens, But not the K-1
07-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The screen is useful for work on the ground... the funny way of extending into all directions, but not by a lot, was awkward in the beginning. Today I can say that I like to be able to tilt easily into any direction. Holding the camera up and checking from below is not perfect, but you can turn the camera upside down and use the flip feature.
All in all I have to say, I like the screen a lot without really noticing it. Haven't used an other camera for a long time... It works.
07-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

A well engineered useful addition to the K-1 - I mainly use it for waist level (and lower) shooting.
07-09-2017, 02:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
I like it and use it a lot. That said, I do wish it had a larger range of motion. I came from teh Caon 70D which has a fully articulating screen so I could use it in portrait mode, landscape mode, rotated around different axses which made it much easier on bad back to get some shots. But as this is the only FF camera that has an articlated screen (Aside from the just announced Canon 6D Mk2 which is not in the same league as the K-1), it's better than not having one. I do like the varying levels of brightness on teh LCD. Daylight washes out most screens, But not the K-1
Nikon D750 also has moveable back screen. Btw, I find K-1's screen indispensable when shooting above my head which I do many times to avoid obstacles and get the perspective I need. It looks super cool too. Plus you know your screen is unique and different.
07-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Just used mine an hour ago with the camera on a low tripod (which would give me neck pains to look through the VF). Also convenient to use with a telescope (like for shooting the upcoming eclipse) because you can point it at a lot of angles, and you don't have to touch the camera of VF which can introduce vibrations. (A downside is that you need to make sure the VF isn't catching any bright light from the rear when using the screen, which can affect exposure.)
It´s only to use your hand to prevent light to go into the camera.
07-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
I’m going to go against the grain and say it’s a little stupid.

I do occasional tilt the screen up or down (e.g. for an overhead shot) but I have NEVER tilted it side-to-side. It barely goes to the sides anyway. And why in the world would you want to rotate it? In my opinion the whole thing is needlessly fussy, and if you look inside it actually takes up a lot of space. I am also a little worried about how fragile it looks, although I do recall that demo where a Pentax rep swung the camera holding only the LCD so it’s probably not a big deal.

I would rather have a simpler tilting mechanism like on the KP or 645Z and have the body be 1/4” thinner. Or just nothing at all and get even more space back.
I could not disagree more. The k1 is the first camera with a movable screen and in six months use I have:

Tilted it up when doing pet portrait shots on a tripod so when reviewing i dont have to squat down.

Used it to focus in LV when the camera on the tripod was about a foot off the ground.

Tilted the screen to the side and up/down when using it on a tripod for a scenic shot when the sun is at my back and high so as to reduce the glare when focussing or reviewing.

In short I think it is a marvel of engineering.
07-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I could not disagree more. The k1 is the first camera with a movable screen and in six months use I have:

Tilted it up when doing pet portrait shots on a tripod so when reviewing i dont have to squat down.

Used it to focus in LV when the camera on the tripod was about a foot off the ground.

Tilted the screen to the side and up/down when using it on a tripod for a scenic shot when the sun is at my back and high so as to reduce the glare when focussing or reviewing.

In short I think it is a marvel of engineering.
Well said. I agree.
07-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #30

No joke, it work's very well! Not fully articulating but works for me, and very robust! This is a knee saver and I love it, eclipse in LV straight overhead will be a walk in the park!

Brian