Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 01:30 AM   #1

K-1 LCD Screen

Now that the K-1 is over a year old, on PF we have had many, many posts extolling the virtues of the K-1. Everybody seems to be very happy with it (I'm very jealous). But, I don't think I have seen anybody post about the tiltable LCD screen. I would like feedback from K-1 users on how well it does, or doesn't work - do you use it often, or is more a novelty. Thanks very much.

06-23-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have never used it but I can see were it could be very usefull. I think for landscapes and macro work when set up on a tripod and using the live view it could make it much easier depending on the angle you're going for.

I mostly do wildlife so it is not much use for me in that.
06-23-2017, 02:22 AM   #3
RJH

Very useful in many, many places. Shooting over the crowd at weddings, through the weeds landscapes, you name the occasion and the screen steps up to the mark. Can't think of a downside to it.

06-23-2017, 02:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is tremendously useful, and performs well under almost all lighting conditions, you can usually tilt it so the sun doesn't wash it out in extreme lighting.

06-23-2017, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Metal278 Quote
Now that the K-1 is over a year old, on PF we have had many, many posts extolling the virtues of the K-1. Everybody seems to be very happy with it (I'm very jealous). But, I don't think I have seen anybody post about the tiltable LCD screen. I would like feedback from K-1 users on how well it does, or doesn't work - do you use it often, or is more a novelty. Thanks very much.
I like it. The fact that you can tilt it in any direction is very nice, though the deflection isn't nearly as much as the tilting screen on the 645Z. However, the K-1's screen is much more sturdy and it doubles for nighttime illumination of the rear buttons.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2017, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Metal278 Quote
I would like feedback from K-1 users on how well it does, or doesn't work - do you use it often, or is more a novelty.
The K-1 screen is the most flexible and functional screen I've used, having come from cameras with fixed LCD screens. The adjustment vertically is the most useful as you can hold the camera very low and rotate the screen up to permit framing without having to try and get down to the level of the screen or viewfinder. If you ever shoot really low then the usefullness of the screen will be very apparent.

There is less range of movement when in portrait orientation which is a shame as it means you can only angle the screen to about 45 degrees when shooting this orientation. I would love it if the screen could rotate through a full 90 degrees this way too, but this is the compromise of the design and I accept that as I prefer the screen to be robust as opposed to being more flimsy just to get the extra range of movement for portrait shooting. YMMV of course but the movement provided in portrait orientation is more than a fixed screen so it's more than I've ever had previously and therefore a step up from anything else I've used.

The lights on the back of the screen, like those for the remote socket and lens mount, come into their own when shooting after dark. The fact that they're right there on the camera and can be turned on and off with the push of a button is a unique capability on a DSLR. No one else is doing this yet and what a bonus for those of us who shoot at night.

From my perspective the design is unique and whilst not perfect is a really useful arrangement that has more going for it than not. I use it all the time and would not like to go back to a camera with a fixed screen having experienced the flexibility that a screen like this provides.

Tas
06-23-2017, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a novelty. It lets you get things you cant otherwise get...

Like extended over the bank of a swollen creek

Or prone on a cobblestone beach

or shot over a construction safety fence.

06-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the camera on the ground, you'll need an angle finder or K1.
At street photo people donīt now your shooting them.
06-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

With the camera on the ground, you'll need an angle finder or K1.
At street photo people donīt now your shooting them.
06-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I find it very useful for shooting overhead at crowded events, at waist level, crouching down at near ground level sometimes.

It's also proven to be a very robust construction. Not at all flimsy.
06-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Mine is great, especially with weird angle shots when doing astrophotography. I wish my K3 had one now!
06-23-2017, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

It's brilliant for all the reasons mentioned by everyone so far. It's great for all manner camera positions: overhead, ground-level, waist-level, off to the side, over a railing, or with the camera in tight spaces. It's very robust and easy to adjust. And those four little lights on the underside provide a nice night time task light.
06-23-2017, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #13
f22

The World's Most Interesting Man would say, "I don't often use Live View, but when I do I use a fully articulated LCD screen".
06-23-2017, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

No problem so far; the back LCD works very well. When the K1 was released, I was not fond of tilt-able displays as I feared it would involve reliability issues. After one year of use, I can tell it's very reliable so far. And I now make use of tiltable display for landscape or any situation where I want to shoot at an angle with the camera.
06-23-2017, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I use it all the time. Over a year of use and still works as good as new. That goes for the k-1 overall.