Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K1 Auto versus K5 auto

Greetings fellow Pentaxians
I have taken the plunge and purchased a K1 and am currently getting to know the camera
One thing that has become apparent to me is the difference between the auto functions on the K1 as opposed to the K5, and I seek guidance on this
With the K5, the auto was brilliant for interior shots in dim spaces. It automatically changed the ISO so that the shutter speed would allow for blur free shots.
With the K1 the auto function retains the same ISO that was in use for the other modes, which means it isn't as versatile for taking a quick interior shot.
My question is, can this be changed?
My current solution is to use the Tav mode, pre setting the shutter speed and aperture, and then storing this as USER 1. In this way the ISO looks after itself
Is this what other folk are doing?

Now, I also notice a difference in auto white balance, and the K5 seems to produce much better balanced white balance. Is this just me? Do other K1 users also note the difference, but think it is better on the K1?

I like the GPS function but am wondering what folk have discovered about battery life when the GPS is turned on? Is the battery life considerably shorter? If so, would it be half the life?

On the same subject, I am very pleased that the K1 and K5 take the same batteries. Very pleased indeed. Saves having to purchase spare batteries. As a rule of thumb, how many shots might you expect to get from the battery?

Finally, I'm heading off to Japan tomorrow. Do you have any tips on what are the best shots to look for?

07-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings.
Do you mean "Auto ISO"? If so I have not noticed much difference from K-5 - as long as the ISO is set to auto (Green button after hitting ISO button) it will change fine.

Agree the K-1 does do a better job with white balance. I also find it does a better job with exposure too (not to mention Auto focus) - although it does under expose a bit (depending on the lens being used).

GPS does impact battery life but its still pretty good and I still use when travelling. It probably depends on how you use the camera but for me I don't think GPS halves the battery life but might be reduced to say 60 - 75% of battery life without GPS. Your experience may differ.

Can't really comment too much on Japan (and will depend where you are going) but I'm sure you will see lots of opportunities for street photography (lots of people shots) and something that covers 35mm will likely be useful.
07-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
Greetings fellow Pentaxians
... Finally, I'm heading off to Japan tomorrow. Do you have any tips on what are the best shots to look for?
I can't answer your K1's questions, but will attempt to answer the last one
I have a correction of places to go for photo shooting in Tokyo here. I am not claiming it to be the places to get the best shot in Tokyo. It is to help people when visit Tokyo with not much time for location scouting.
And if you are in Tokyo during July 13-16, there is a festival worth visit (at night) call Mitama Matsuri at the famous Yasukuni. A link to the official sit is here. Location on google map is here.

As for places outside Tokyo, I don't have much to offer.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 07-02-2017 at 07:50 PM.
07-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I can't answer your K1's questions, but will attempt to answer the last one
I have a correction of places to go for photo shooting in Tokyo here. I am not claiming it to be the places to get the best shot in Tokyo. It is to help people when visit Tokyo with not much time for location scouting.
And if you are in Tokyo during July 13-16, there is a festival worth visit (at night) call Mitama Matsuri at the famous Yasukuni. A link to the official sit is here. Location on google map is here.

As for places outside Tokyo, I don't have much to offer.
Thanks for the advice about Tokyo. Sadly we leave there on the morning of the 13th so will miss the night festival

---------- Post added 07-03-17 at 01:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Greetings.
Do you mean "Auto ISO"? If so I have not noticed much difference from K-5 - as long as the ISO is set to auto (Green button after hitting ISO button) it will change fine.

Agree the K-1 does do a better job with white balance. I also find it does a better job with exposure too (not to mention Auto focus) - although it does under expose a bit (depending on the lens being used).

GPS does impact battery life but its still pretty good and I still use when travelling. It probably depends on how you use the camera but for me I don't think GPS halves the battery life but might be reduced to say 60 - 75% of battery life without GPS. Your experience may differ.

Can't really comment too much on Japan (and will depend where you are going) but I'm sure you will see lots of opportunities for street photography (lots of people shots) and something that covers 35mm will likely be useful.
To Kiwi_Jono
Thanks for the quick reply.
I was talking about the green mode on the exposure type dial. On the K1 the equivalent seems to be a green auto mode between P and U1, which you addressed.
Yes the auto focus does appear to be quite a bit quicker.
And, a big thank you for the tip on Auto ISO. That made all the difference.
This forum rocks!

07-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
My question is, can this be changed?
In green mode I think it should force auto ISO, but if not, just press the green button together with the ISO button.

Also, there's a menu setting that controls the maximum and minimum auto ISO range, just like on the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In green mode I think it should force auto ISO, but if not, just press the green button together with the ISO button.

Also, there's a menu setting that controls the maximum and minimum auto ISO range, just like on the K-5.
Thanks Adam. I think somewhere along the line I may have pressed the green button when I had just pressed the ISO button on the K5. And from there it always worked that way. I do appreciate your reply too.
Thank you for that