Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #1

Used K1 shutter count...how low should I stay?

Hi all,

I just came across an used K1 with a 25639 shutter count for a pretty decent price, a spare battery and over a year of warranty left.
Pics show an almost mint condition camera, except for some dust in the usual spots (not inside as far as I can see).

How would you consider that shutter count? I read cameras are rated for 10 times that much before anything should happen, what's your take on this?

Thanx

07-16-2017, 02:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't consider that to be high mileage at all. If the camera is in good shape otherwise and the price doesn't seem to good to be true, I'd go for it. The specified shutter rating is 300k.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-16-2017, 02:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Adam, price is in the 1400 GBP shipped league. I think it's fair although I've seen some go for even less...
07-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
Hi Adam, price is in the 1400 GBP shipped league. I think it's fair although I've seen some go for even less...
That's actually slightly more than what a new one costs in the US, hehe. I would make sure that the warranty is transferrable per the European warranty terms, as it generally isn't in most regions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-16-2017, 02:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
I know, but prices in EU are higher, a new one can go around 1900/2000€ around here. I'll be in Canada in August and I was thinking about getting one there but, with taxes and stuff it's not going to be THAT convenient, plus, since I'd be in my honeymoon period I just would like to avoid any hassles with shipping...lost packages, phone calls to the shipper and the likes...and on top of that, will Canada warranty be transferrable to EU?
(besides, where do you actually see them going for less than $1800-ish new? I could think about that...)

Speaking about this, is there any proven source I can check to find out if the warranty on the one I'd eventually buy (the one I'm asking about) can be transferred? It's EU to EU...

Last edited by gerax; 07-16-2017 at 04:06 AM.
07-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My first K-1 went thru ~70 000 actuations before I "killed" it in accident. Absolutely no problems compared to new shutter mechanism. But, you should ask how is the count measured because doing in-camera multiexposures seem to count as one shot at least when it comes to image numbering on memory card. I reached high number fast as I took many multiexposures worth of hundreds of shots each.
07-24-2017, 04:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well, I got it, pretty good deal IMHO, considering the prices it goes for in EU (even second hand), and I passed on the idea of purchasing one in Canada (where I'll be next month) as the price difference wasn't that big to justify the eventual hassle of going to the store or having it shipped to my hotel: I'm travelling daily so the risk of missing it by one day would've been too high...just don't want to spend the honeymoon on the phone with the courier...
Should be here in a couple of days...