Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Those 6Dii sensor tests make we wonder if there's a firmware bug or other defect. Noise and DR looks comparable to the latest Sony RX100. A full frame camera should outperform a 1" sensor compact by a significant margin.

07-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no question but that this camera will sell ten times as many units as the K-1, regardless of the sensor performance. People really don't buy cameras based on dynamic range, but rather on price, familiarity with a brand, and to a lesser extent spec lists. As such, the 6D II checks enough boxes for the average Joe who is moving from APS-C to entry level full frame to decide that yes, this is the camera for him.
07-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #18

same dynamic range as the old 6D.
Attached Images

07-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
same dynamic range as the old 6D.
No, its significantly worse.

Look at actual images / raws such as what dpr provides.

Those homemade "curves" just prove the point that the personal subjective preferences of the amateur who creates them are worthless junk and he has no connection to real life practise. Don't believe any statistics you haven't faked yourself.

07-21-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Exactly one year after getting Pentax K-1, all I can say that it is an absolute beast of camera. It just shoots. K-1 takes no prisoners... I never get tired of using it. Such an inspiring piece of equipment. My skills have improved a lot due to that. It's dynamic range is out of this world. So many other features as well. What a great camera that is... Canon 6D II looks like a toy in comparison but it's more expensive.
07-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

6D2 seems to be screwed up on purpose so that it does not hinder 5D4 sales. It has no improvements seen in 80D or 5D4. Only real upgrade is a half-assed "tilt-screen" which when flipped out throws the image off-axis compared to camera sensor position and makes it hard to compose.

Still, Pentax world is still waiting new lens releases and CaNikon front keeps upgrading their selection at steady pace. Not good. What K-1 wins in technical quality it loses big time in lens selection and that it the only thing that matters in the first place.
07-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
6D2 seems to be screwed up on purpose so that it does not hinder 5D4 sales. It has no improvements seen in 80D or 5D4. Only real upgrade is a half-assed "tilt-screen" which when flipped out throws the image off-axis compared to camera sensor position and makes it hard to compose.
I guess if you shoot mostly in good light and want full frame, it would be a viable product for a new user. But apparently not a good upgrade, if you have a relatively recent camera (according to the article).

07-24-2017, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

With K1 AF performance we don't trust DPreview, with Canon dynamic range values we agree in an instant. Are we that simple minded?
Many new EF lenses available for this camera, all of them with electronic aperture, all of them with silent AF... don't point at someone elses camera...
07-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
With K1 AF performance we don't trust DPreview, with Canon dynamic range values we agree in an instant. Are we that simple minded?
Many new EF lenses available for this camera, all of them with electronic aperture, all of them with silent AF... don't point at someone elses camera...
Did you look at the test shots?

I really don't think DP Review is out to get Canon, certainly not enough to fudge those sorts of tests. For most things, the 6D II will probably be fine, although I think it is pretty clear that Canon is protecting their upper end cameras by keeping some features off of it.

Canon has a significantly better lens line up than Pentax and has better video (although they did leave 4K off of the 6D II). I still think it is pretty clear that a K-1 will significantly better this camera when it comes to the specific application of landscape photography. Dynamic range is a feature too...
07-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

After comparing specs and "reviewers comments" you might say that Canon hindered the 6dii , not to protect the future 5D, but to sell more SL2's ( its an outstanding apcs, surpassing the 80D in most areas for half the price). In a parallel universe, I would buy it as an entry dslr..
07-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #26
CDW
Site Supporter

From my standpoint as a landscape shooter, I'm far less enamored (make that envious) of the Canon lens lineup vs Pentax. From my Canon 5D2/L lens days, I feel the Pentax15-30 is the equal of the Canon equivalents, likewise the Pentax 28-105, while not as wide, easily matches the Canon 24-105L, and Canon's 70-200mm F4, one of the sharpest zooms in their lineup, is more than matched by the Pentax 60-250, in spite of the fact it is supposedly an APS-c design. When legacy primes are added to the mix, what is lacking for a Pentax landscape shooter? And if you're a night sky, astro shooter, Canon has nothing that really matches the features of the K1 for that application.

As for video, all DSLRs pretty much suck when compared against the current state of the art. Panasonic and SONY rule in that area.
07-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #27
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Interesting!
I have really noticed with my K-1, one of the big improvements (even over the K-5) is what I can do in PP. I am much happier tweaking exposure significantly in PP when normally I would limit what I do - due to noise.

The big things I did not know from these comparisons is this:
* Also compare to the D810
* At +5 the K-1 is a little better and at +6 quite a bit better
* Turn on pixel shift and it blows the 810 out of the water
* I had know idea that pixel shift would affect latitude by that much at ISO 100!

Maybe I need to start using pixel shift when conditions allow.
To my eyes, the K-1 is better than both the D750 and the similar-to-K1 D810 even at base ISO, even though it is subtle. It becomes more noticable around +3 EV. Even the classic 6D holds its own there but at +4 EV it jumps the rails.. I think that is around where the K-1's advantage is obvious.

Hilariously the K-70 even looks better than the 6D when pushed, albeit with a bit less detail (understandable crop vs FF sensor). Pentax are the kings of sensor performance.

Too bad Pentax can't be kings of AutoFocus performance and Lens selection too.. haha.
07-24-2017, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

I've been shooting eagles this spring, with other photographers as well. And of course, I was the only Pentaxian as usual.
They all usually stayed till the sun just was down behind the trees on the horizon, and could not understand how I can stay longer continuing shooting. Because I have K-1
Here is ISO 12800, and it's crop. Taken at dark when all Nikon and Canon guys left.
I became addicted to the night shooting with K-1.

IMGP9782 | Adele36 | Flickr
07-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I was on their case initially. However, After owning a K-1 for several months I now pretty much agree with them about the AF performance. I think they overstated the significance, but the points they made are generally accurate imo.
07-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I've been shooting eagles this spring, with other photographers as well. And of course, I was the only Pentaxian as usual.
They all usually stayed till the sun just was down behind the trees on the horizon, and could not understand how I can stay longer continuing shooting. Because I have K-1
Here is ISO 12800, and it's crop. Taken at dark when all Nikon and Canon guys left.
I became addicted to the night shooting with K-1.

IMGP9782 | Adele36 | Flickr
Beautiful eagles..