Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #1

So my K1 arrived...

...and after spending the first half an hour with it, well, I love it!
Enormous step up from my humble K30, but image quality and sensor size apart, I love the amount of clever technology that's been put in there...I don't know if equivalent Canikon models have that much useful features and a so well specified ergonomics...feels like all of the buttons and switches are in the right place and you just need to go into the menus for deep settings...all of the most used ones fall right there under your your fingertips, just like it was designed by somebody who uses it everyday...I didn't have to look at the manual once...

I still have to dive in the menus and all of the custom functions, but the transition from y K30 has been so natural and easy..

Now, if I could manage to have that Sigma 70-200 working with it I would be a real happy camper...

L.

07-29-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma 70-200mm should work, right? Just send it to Sigma first so they can fix the mount on it so that it doesn't scratch the bottom of the prism housing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2017, 03:49 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I also moved from K-30 to K-1. It is a huge upgrade.

But missing the sigma 18-35 f/1.8. It was way beyond anything canikon / Pentax can manage.
07-29-2017, 04:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget that the K1 has a crop mode (and a square mode), so you can use any favourite aps-c -only lens as if you were still using an aps-c camera. Granted you will now be using only 15MP of the K1's sensor but at least you have the option.

07-29-2017, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats!
07-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Sigma 70-200mm should work, right? Just send it to Sigma first so they can fix the mount on it so that it doesn't scratch the bottom of the prism housing.
I already did (while I was waiting for the K1 to arrive) to be prepared in advance. They sent it back and the mount is just fine, but the lens just freezes the camera.
They told me they updated the FW on the lens and they checked it on another client's K1 and it was OK. Probably that K1 had an older FW than mine (mine is 1.40).
So now, I have to send it in again, this time together with the K1 so that they can load a more recent FW on the lens and check that it will work with my K1... (bummer...).

Hope they will send it back within next week as I'm leaving for Canada in a a few more days and I definitely want the 70-200 with me...
07-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Double check your K-1's FW.... mine is 1.41...might make a difference... don't have that lens, so I can't tell for sure...

Good luck... M
According to the FW 1.41 description it doesn't mention anything about lenses compatibility, and besides...even though updating the camera's FW should be quite easy I'm a bit "nervous" about it...you know..

07-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
even though updating the camera's FW should be quite easy I'm a bit "nervous" about it...you know..
If you follow the directions to the letter and use a fully-charged battery, all will be well. Done it dozens of times without a hitch.