Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #31
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given that there is a K-1, and I'm considering leaving it home on my next trip, I wouldn't buy anything. Even though I own a K-1 and it's avery nice camera, I'm not convinced I wouldn't be happier with a K-P instead of a K-1. So my answer would be a K-P. As pointed out in another thread, our most appreciated image for our craft show days was taken with a 12 MP point and shoot. My opinion would be that folks who think they have to have a full frame or 36 MP to accomplish their goals are somewhat delusional, infatuated with the value of their photography and conceited in thinking anyone even wants huge copies of their prints.

There are maybe 5 guys on the forum, who do work good enough to consider for large scale printing and two of them have already bypassed the K-1 for 645 gear. SO my second answer would be, if I didn't think the k-1 was overkill, or I wanted more overkill, I'd be looking for a good price on a second hand 645D to compliment my APS-c gear. Same as before the K-1 came out. There are still a lot of folks who will brag they have to have something better than APS-c. I can't find any photographic evidence to explain why they think that however. It's all about posturing and attitude as far as I can tell.

For those, I point out I'd prefer to have an 8x10 film camera, and that's about as big is it gets. Who wants one of those snivelling little 35mm cameras. Be a man, at least go 4x5 5x7 or 6x7.

A 35mm sensor? pffft... that's not a desirable camera, that's a camera you use because you can't do better.

I will never understand people getting all snobby about 35mm, which has never been top of the heap.
I got it because I simply wanted it. I am finding that it is an awesome astrophotgraphy camera, and I intend to keep getting better with it until I get every bit of what I can out of it. Ohh, and it takes awesome landscape and cosplay pics too.

08-03-2017, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
If The K-1 Didn't Exist...
I'd still be shooting a K-3.
08-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd still be using a Sony for FF. It hardly comes out of the cupboard now I've got a K-1.
08-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what would you buy? After this morning, it would probably be the Sony A9. It was the most expensive camera I have ever held and fit my large hands well with the grip attached plus the sound of 20FPS was intoxicating as was the almost utter silence of the shutter. I'd love to see a Pentax mirrorless option. I also realized that the body cost $3k less than two of my road bikes and just under a few hundred less than two of my guitars.
are you a doctor or a lawyer ?

08-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just would have bought another Leica S2. But as things stand I have two K-1 cameras and no complaints.
08-04-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
The big money is in plumbing.
08-04-2017, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I got it because I simply wanted it. I am finding that it is an awesome astrophotgraphy camera, and I intend to keep getting better with it until I get every bit of what I can out of it. Ohh, and it takes awesome landscape and cosplay pics too.
I tried really hard to leave it home, but it's packed in the case, it's the K-3 staying home. The deciding factor was low light photography around the campsites and better high ISO performance. The fact that I shot wildlife for years with a K-5 and that the K-1 has a K-5 built into it also was a big factor. It came down to take my K-3 lenses, then just swap out the K-3 body for the K-1 body. Done that way it costs me very little in weight. The choice was made even easier because Tess has decided to take the 28-105 which I should be able to borrow if necessary and the fact I have the very small FA 18-35 for ultra wide. Everything fits in one pelican case, and that fits in my day pack for easy access.

But if it didn't exist, I'd just take the K-3.

08-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #38
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I tried really hard to leave it home, but it's packed in the case, it's the K-3 staying home. The deciding factor was low light photography around the campsites and better high ISO performance. The fact that I shot wildlife for years with a K-5 and that the K-1 has a K-5 built into it also was a big factor. It came down to take my K-3 lenses, then just swap out the K-3 body for the K-1 body. Done that way it costs me very little in weight. The choice was made even easier because Tess has decided to take the 28-105 which I should be able to borrow if necessary and the fact I have the very small FA 18-35 for ultra wide. Everything fits in one pelican case, and that fits in my day pack for easy access.

But if it didn't exist, I'd just take the K-3.
Low light hands down it beats the K3, which wasn't a slouch. For instance, I can set my K1 at ISO 3200 while doing my sub exposures and come up with less noise than I get with my K3 at ISO 1600. I generally will not take the K3 up past 1600 for my astro stuff, but have taken the K1 to 6400 at times. The main advantage the K3 has is the crop factor for a narrower FOV and smaller pixels, which are better for certain things.
08-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

mmm maybe an A7r A7rii .. or Perhaps a D750 or D810...
08-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If there was no K1, I would have bought the new KP and a Sony A7II for my Pentax prime lenses. I do have the K1 and a KP for my son, but I just bought into the m43 system with an EM5II, a 12-50mm and 45mm lenses.
08-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Neither, but I do associate with some.
08-05-2017, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Neither, but I do associate with some.
You admit on-line that you associate with lawyers?

That's kind of like pasteing a target on your back at a shooting range.

Last edited by normhead; 08-07-2017 at 05:14 AM.
08-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The association comes via my favorite sport.
08-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Full Frame DSLR wise, the Sony A9II (mainly to use for digitizing film), or for crop-sensor I'd go with the KP. Otherwise I'd go with shooting on a K2.
08-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a Sony A7 for my Pentax lenses before. Getting ready to upgrade to K1 shortly!