Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
Does anyone else silently weeps at the tragic quality of the video?

I understand k-1 is not for filming, but why would they even bother putting it there if even my Samsung s6 gives me a better:

- video quality (sharpness / unfortunately, colours are less real / saturated)
- autofocus
- image stabilisation
- sound quality

K-1 has got more tweak-able options, a tad better dynamic range (not a major leap though)

I feel honestly cheated...

I loved my k-50, k-5 ii s but it looks like it is time say goodbye to Pentax :/

It is still my no. 1 brand for stills but since I have started filming as well and need something that doesn't look like pukes in video department... it just saddens me...

Now that K-1 is out, they COULD REALLY do much to improve it... Specs are there, and I think it is possible to improve it greatly via firmware update.

+ mechanical (or optical at least on pair with the one in samsung s6) image stabilisation / sensor shift
+ better codecs / bit rate
+ work on overall video recording quality
+ focus peaking during the recording

I will create a separate thread when I will upload plenty of k-1 video footage. First I have to go through the older stuff recorded with different gear I have been testing.

If anyone is interested you can follow the new uploads on TGCfilms.pl . I upload daily so in a month or so K-1 video files should start showing up (different lighting, scenes etc.)
If I understand correctly you bought a 2k $ camera hoping to shoot video without knowing it's video capabilities (or the lack of) and now you feel cheated? You must be one really rich fellow, isn't it? No one cheated you my friend except yourself.

08-06-2017, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I have so little interest in shooting video with the K1 that I might not even be bothered finishing this se
08-06-2017, 04:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Pentax users and Ricoh Pentax them selves instead of welcoming the market of today suggest to go with another brand. Shooting own legs and cutting off own hands.
I don't think Ricoh said that. We, the users, said that, because we are honest and realistic. But we also said that the current video capabilities are good enough for many users. I don't do video work, but if I am traveling and see something that has to be recorded instead of photographed, the video still works well enough for a minute or two of memories.
And really, look at threads in the video subforum. Lots of people got good and even stunning results from Pentax gear. That means it is possible.
Sometimes people expect too much from cameras. Video requires a lot of stuff. Its not just point and shoot.

Oh and some smartphones have better video capabilities? That is just an argument against adding video to DSLRs, because people won't pay an extra $500 for video that is slightly better than their phone, if they are already happy with their phone.

But yes, people have mentioned that they wish Pentax' video capabilities were better. And yes, they should be updated and improved. Yes, it would be nice if Pentax' video were on par with Sony, Canon. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen
08-06-2017, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't do video, so this is an uninformed casual observation - but what strikes me is that there is only about one mention of Nikon in this thread - the implication being that people don't go to them for video either - and the implication of that is that while they are undoubtedly a little better than Pentax, they are not bought for video either - and probably for similar reasons - they use Sony sensors, and Sony aren't into letting the competitors compete where they can help it. It's not just a Pentax issue, though it might be said that either shrewdly or cleverly, Ricoh have thrown less money at it.

But, as I said, I know next to nothing about this other than what I pick up on these forums, so please feel free to correct me

08-06-2017, 04:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I only record video a few times a year, so for me K1 is OK. But a new video firmware update would be fine.
Here are 3 video clips that I take with my new K1 with FA50 (with built-in microphone) on a cruise to Tallin. I was affected and hold the camera in hands.
Just Youtube process, and I'm happy.
08-06-2017, 05:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
there is only about one mention of Nikon in this thread - the implication being that people don't go to them for video either...It's not just a Pentax issue
All true enough. I have heard many people deride Nikon's video capabilities, despite the effort Nikon have taken to make their DSLR's seemingly as video capable as Canon's.

But now Canon is deemed inferior to Sony and Panasonic, it seems, by video pros and geeks. It's hard to keep up.
08-06-2017, 06:44 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
video pros and geeks
Since I am neither I don't care. Shooting video of Lacrosse on a dSLR and rapidly uploading to social media is an integral part of my son's business Marketing plan. Still image quality is also important but life is full of compromises. He tried my K-1 and liked the stills - and the AF was just fine - but he bought a Canon instead of a K-3II because the stills are good enough and the video and the Wi-Fi interface were better*.

I'm not sure whether that's good, bad or just part of the Pentax strategy.

* and he was unwilling to take a risk given the clear reviewer opinion that Pentax AF isn't up to snuff.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-06-2017 at 06:52 AM.
08-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

You bought Pentax for video? That's on you. Next time do a bit of research before you buy.

Getting into video? There are lots of good options, Pentax doesn't need to go there. To have this still brought up as a topic after the bazillion times this has been addressed is truly disappointing. You're flogging a dead horse. This is not a complex issue. Sell, your K-1, buy what you think is better, live with what ever compromises that system has that you'll find worthy of complaining about. There will always be something.
08-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #24

Original Poster
For all people who got what I meant by starting this thread; big kudos for you guys.

Most of you completely missed the point, but I understand it. It's hard to explain everything without making it a book size post and even then majority wouldn't understand it.

1. Pentax is my favourite brand and I have been using it for years now, I love it. Just recently I have been sucked into making short videos of what I like/find interesting. Another way of capturing memories etc.

2. I have tried 70d, a6500 (best option video/photo/price/etc. wise), Sony FDR-AX53 but I really missed the Pentax... and I thought I could swallow all the quirks and bad things about the video quality... but when I see the footage from my s6 and k-1... I grab my head and wonder how on earth small smartphone can top out big ass pro dslr... It just feels wrong.

3. I thought about having 2 dedicated pieces of gear at some point; one for photographs (pentax) and the other one for video. Unfortunately, it is utterly uncomfortable; taking stills of something than putting dslr in bag and taking out a camera to record the same thing... This is why I have abandoned it real quick. I have even tried doing this with k-1/s6 and it gives the same trouble... This is why I wanted to have all in 1 gear.

4. Sorry for not stating this before. Every single clip (www.TGCfilms.pl) is from samsung s6 if not stated otherwise in the description box (so far there are only clips from Samsung s6, Canon 70D and Sony A6500. Soon there will be also from Sony FDR-AX53 camcoder and finally PENTAX K-1 ).

I already know what can give me what I need for my particular needs, but I would rather stay with big P and be happy about that too. It just needs so little to be much better.

The funny thing is that I always do extensive research of what I am buying etc. (so for all people saying it is my own fault not knowing what I am buying or that I have not read things before buying... gtfo) and I accepted and decided that I can live with what I have seen on youtube from k-1.

Strangely enough, I am not getting the same results (even with the same lens). And we are talking about the raw/unedited/straight from the camera footage here (probably because of different scenes/light etc.).

I have this super big hope that 24fps I have been recording so far, might be the culprit of it (blurring effect). And now I can't wait to go out and test it with 30fps. I REALLY HAVE BIG HOPE it will look good enough and I will stay with Pentax (pleaseeeeeee let it be the case).

So yea, I think this sums things up.

Once I reach the batch from k-1 I will EDIT the 1st post with the link to k-1 videos (raw/straight from camera to youtube).

If anyone is interested in the best still/video camera combo I will be more than glad to share my opinion with that person (you can reach me almost always @ my fb page). I believe I know almost every pros and cons of current gear on the market. I have been researching this topic for months now.

P.S.

If new RED HYDROGEN will be able to deliver amazing 1080p video quality, I may just accept a little hassle with switching between k-1 and RED ;p

Last edited by tgchan; 08-06-2017 at 08:24 AM.
08-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

For all people who got what I meant by starting this thread; big kudos for you guys.

Most of you completely missed the point, but I understand it. It's hard to explain everything without making it a book size post and even then majority wouldn't understand it.

1. Pentax is my favourite brand and I have been using it for years now, I love it. Just recently I have been sucked into making short videos of what I like/find interesting. Another way of capturing memories etc.

2. I have tried 70d, a6500 (best option video/photo/price/etc. wise), Sony FDR-AX53 but I really missed the Pentax... and I thought I could swallow all the quirks and bad things about the video quality... but when I see the footage from my s6 and k-1... I grab my head and wonder how on earth small smartphone can top out big ass pro dslr... It just feels wrong.

3. I thought about having 2 dedicated pieces of gear at some point; one for photographs (pentax) and the other one for video. Unfortunately, it is utterly uncomfortable; taking stills of something than putting dslr in bag and taking out a camera to record the same thing... This is why I have abandoned it real quick. I have even tried doing this with k-1/s6 and it gives the same trouble... This is why I wanted to have all in 1 gear.

4. Sorry for not stating this before. Every single clip (www.TGCfilms.pl) is from samsung s6 if not stated otherwise in the description box (so far there are only clips from Samsung s6, Canon 70D and Sony A6500. Soon there will be also from Sony FDR-AX53 camcoder and finally PENTAX K-1 ).

I already know what can give me what I need for my particular needs, but I would rather stay with big P and be happy about that too. It just needs so little to be much better.

The funny thing is that I always do extensive research of what I am buying etc. (so for all people saying it is my own fault not knowing what I am buying or that I have not read things before buying... gtfo) and I accepted and decided that I can live with what I have seen on youtube from k-1.

Strangely enough, I am not getting the same results (even with the same lens). And we are talking about the raw/unedited/straight from the camera footage here (probably because of different scenes/light etc.).

I have this super big hope that 24fps I have been recording so far, might be the culprit of it (blurring effect). And now I can't wait to go out and test it with 30fps. I REALLY HAVE BIG HOPE it will look good enough and I will stay with Pentax (pleaseeeeeee let it be the case).

Once I reach the batch from k-1 I will EDIT the 1st post with the link to k-1 videos (raw/straight from camera to youtube).

If anyone is interested in the best still/video camera combo I will be more than glad to share my opinion with that person (you can reach me almost always @ my fb page). I believe I know almost every pros and cons of current gear on the market. I have been researching this topic for months now.

P.S.

If new RED HYDROGEN will be able to deliver amazing 1080p video quality, I may just accept a little hassle with switching between k-1 and RED ;p
I remember reading on pf few months ago that the sensor they used for k-1 (same one as in d800) is just not capable of 4k video, or even great 1080p video for that matter. It was true when d800 came out, and it's still true for k-1. They had to use that sensor to be able to achieve the low cost compared to competitors but with same (or higher) image quality, which has been their strong side for years. If that's what it took to give us k-1 as we know it - I'm personally more than happy with their decision as stills are more important to me. Im sure their next flagship would have better video, maybe the k-3 successor would sport 4k with a nice bit rate, and that would differentiate it from KP.
08-06-2017, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK...I got it. You don't feel cheated. You bought knowing full well the limitations of the K-1 video offerings. You have owned gear in the past that was better, but those cameras (sadly ) are no longer in the bag. You are not getting results as good as other people shooting the K-1. It must be the gear. You are acquiring suitable video gear. Please click through to see how well I am doing.

So...the link at the bottom of the original post is what it was all about. Makes perfect sense to me, though after clicking through and viewing the clips...no, not going to go there.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-06-2017 at 11:21 AM.
08-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
OK...I got it. You don't feel cheated. You bought knowing full well the limitations of the K-1 video offerings. You have owned gear in the past that was better, but those cameras (sadly ) are no longer in the bag. You are not getting results as good as other people shooting the K-1. It must be the gear. You are acquiring suitable video gear. Please click through to see how well I am doing.

So...the link at the bottom of the original post is what it was all about. Makes perfect sense to me, though after clicking through and viewing the clips...no, not going to go there.

Steve
What are you on about?
08-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
What are you on about?

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I remember reading on pf few months ago that the sensor they used for k-1 (same one as in d800) is just not capable of 4k video, or even great 1080p video for that matter. It was true when d800 came out, and it's still true for k-1. They had to use that sensor to be able to achieve the low cost compared to competitors but with same (or higher) image quality, which has been their strong side for years. If that's what it took to give us k-1 as we know it - I'm personally more than happy with their decision as stills are more important to me. Im sure their next flagship would have better video, maybe the k-3 successor would sport 4k with a nice bit rate, and that would differentiate it from KP.
Interesting information. Thank you for sharing.
08-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

What are you on about?

Interesting information. Thank you for sharing.
No problem. I wish I had the link, but i haven't revisited that thread for a while. It was a big thread on Pentax k-1 video quality, it had a ton of interesting info
08-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

test it with 30fps. I REALLY HAVE BIG HOPE
I always do extensive research
The video specs of K1 have been known for at least a year and a half!

I have been researching this topic for months now.
I think this sums things up.