Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2017, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #1

K-1 and its filming future?

Does anyone else silently weeps at the tragic quality of the video?

I understand k-1 is not for filming, but why would they even bother putting it there if even my Samsung s6 gives me a better:

- video quality (sharpness / unfortunately, colours are less real / saturated)
- autofocus
- image stabilisation
- sound quality

K-1 has got more tweak-able options, a tad better dynamic range (not a major leap though)

I feel honestly cheated...

I loved my k-50, k-5 ii s but it looks like it is time say goodbye to Pentax :/

It is still my no. 1 brand for stills but since I have started filming as well and need something that doesn't look like pukes in video department... it just saddens me...

Now that K-1 is out, they COULD REALLY do much to improve it... Specs are there, and I think it is possible to improve it greatly via firmware update.

+ mechanical (or optical at least on pair with the one in samsung s6) image stabilisation / sensor shift
+ better codecs / bit rate
+ work on overall video recording quality
+ focus peaking during the recording

I will create a separate thread when I will upload plenty of k-1 video footage. First I have to go through the older stuff recorded with different gear I have been testing.

If anyone is interested you can follow the new uploads on TGCfilms.pl . I upload daily so in a month or so K-1 video files should start showing up (different lighting, scenes etc.)

08-05-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The still images are so good that I just forget to switch that video button over, I did try it once for 5 seconds to see if it worked.

Anyone interested in Video didn't buy the K1 to shoot it.

Just leave it in the stills position!
08-05-2017, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A) Pentax' priority are stills, not video. This has been known for years. If you want just video, go with Sony or Canon or Samsung, get a camcorder.
B) Pentax' video is not perfect, but there are a lot of things that you can do. I think there were numerous threads in the video subforum about this. And judging what some people managed to record with K-5 and newer cameras, I think it really comes down to the person's skills, planning, etc. Disable SR, select the right shutter speed, etc. And I think the Jpeg mode affects the video recording, so you can actually change the colour profile to BW or Film Reversal or whatever you want.
C) Video depends heavily on support, planning, lights, stabilization rigs as well as Post Processing. You should run your videos through some video software to improve it. I assume that Samsung does that automatically better. But since you have more options, that means you have to know how to use those options to get something good
D) The videos on that youtube channel are not bad. But the gear is not mentioned, so I don't know which video was with which camera
08-05-2017, 02:46 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand the continued complaining about the poor quality of Pentax video when it has been obvious for YEARS that the company is not interested in competing in that department. BUY A VIDEO CAMERA!! Or, if you need an all-in-one solution, buy Canon!
It's hard to feel sorry for those who are blind to the writing on the wall. Pentax has shown, in every new release, that video is not an area in which they choose to compete. GRRR!

08-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax has realized that as long as they buy their sensors from Sony, they will never have top of the line video capabilities.

Sony wouldn't give that advantage away as long as there was a possibility of competition...

I'm just assuming I won't get great video from Pentax until there's a big disruption in the sensor world.

Otherwise, we're stuck two generations behind for the foreseeable future...

-Eric
08-05-2017, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #6

And people are worried about the not so exciting latest financial report results from Ricoh. Pentax users and Ricoh Pentax them selves instead of welcoming the market of today suggest to go with another brand. Shooting own legs and cutting off own hands.

Just make video on par with what is a standard today... But no... instead allow budget cellphones produce better video footage than a flagship Dslr. As much as some people insist on not accepting, video is now a mandatory function of any camera. Great cameras need all their functions to be great. 21st century and generations where every second person is somesort of photog and v-blogger. If Pentax is still so persistant to ignore importance of multimedia and focus on stills only, they have to make it in exceptional manner so that stills only would be really that awesome for the imaging people of today to take it masively.

For guys who tell to get a dedicated video cam. I shoot with Canon C100 mk2 and Sony Fs5 from time to time. While they are really great video cams and provides amazing experience for video making, Dslr and mirrorless cameras actually have many advantages over video cams. While on a budget, Dslrs and mirrorless cameras make great balance of compromises to be great tools for both stills and movie making. From what I see so many photographers keeps hitting the unexpected needs of video shooting and experience that moment "if only my Pentax cam did a little bit better video, I wouldn't need to get that other camera..."
08-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It really would be nice if they could make an earnest effort to improve video. The promised mechanical SR firmware update seems to have never come out for the K-1 or KP

I think the main limitation is hardware and resources. They lack resources to design/integrate proper video processing hardware into the current circuitry, and there's probably not enough demand for them to shift gears. So, the video performance will probably continue to lag behind the latest and greatest by several years.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

For what Penfax offers in the video department, it's suitable for 90% of peoples needs (vlogging, light editing work, erc.). Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, and Fuji offer more of those higher end options/needs for the 10% of those who need it.
08-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
I loved my k-50, k-5 ii s but it looks like it is time say goodbye to Pentax :/
Unfortunately for you, Pentax is not the answer for your video requirements.
If video is more important to you than stills, you have no reason to stay with Pentax.
08-05-2017, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Does anyone else silently weeps at the tragic quality of the video?
Not on the K-1 section of the site. For weeping (and gnashing of teeth) the video section is the place to be.

FWIW...good as the sensor is for stills, it is still poorly suited for video...too many pixels, too little space. Better 24x36mm options are available at similar or lower price point from other vendors (e.g. A7s)

Were you expecting something different from the advertised specs and numerous reviews when you opened the box?

If anyone is interested you can follow the new uploads on TGCfilms.pl . I upload daily so in a month or so K-1 video files should start showing up (different lighting, scenes etc.)
Ummmm...OK...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-05-2017 at 06:59 PM.
08-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

These Pentax video 'issues' puzzle me.

Call me ignorant, but often the technical details of the video of Pentax (fps, codecs used etc) seem much the same as offered by anyone else. I mean, is there a fundamental difference between MPEG-4 H.264, 1080p at 30fps video done on Canon/Pentax/Nikon/Sony?
08-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
These Pentax video 'issues' puzzle me.

Call me ignorant, but often the technical details of the video of Pentax (fps, codecs used etc) seem much the same as offered by anyone else. I mean, is there a fundamental difference between MPEG-4 H.264, 1080p at 30fps video done on Canon/Pentax/Nikon/Sony?
Very much so. Those are just the output file specs - it is the input that is the issue, not the output. Just as there is a difference between a 320kps MP3 created by a kid wailing into his phone and one created by a professional recording studio.
08-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
CDW
Site Supporter

This discussion seems to come up about once a week. And the answer remains the same. If you want to create serious video, especially in 4K, you go to Panasonic or SONY. The DSLRs of Canon, Nikon and especially Pentax are also rans. The bar has been raised with 4K, especially when shooting in 4K to utilize image stabilization in software, panning/cropping, and then down converting to 1080P. As an example, the Panasonic GH5 delivers almost the max of 1080 lines of resolution in 1080P and over 1800 lines in 4K (2160). Nikon, Canon, Pentax, don't even come close.

Part of the problem is indeed the sensor. It was decent as SONY implemented it in their A7r but is not satisfactory for 4K. Perhaps Ricoh will realize at some point they are losing thousands of potential sales because of lack of decent video, lack of contemporary lens and lack of proper service facilities in many parts of the world.

All that said, the K1 is wonderful for landscape and night sky shooters.

---------- Post added 08-05-17 at 03:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I don't understand the continued complaining about the poor quality of Pentax video when it has been obvious for YEARS that the company is not interested in competing in that department. BUY A VIDEO CAMERA!! Or, if you need an all-in-one solution, buy Canon!
It's hard to feel sorry for those who are blind to the writing on the wall. Pentax has shown, in every new release, that video is not an area in which they choose to compete. GRRR!
Canon is now behind the video curve, with the exception of the 5DIV. Canon seems to purposely handicap their DSLRs in terms of video capability so as to not steal sales from the pro video camera sales.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 08-05-17 at 03:34 PM ----------

Last edited by CDW; 08-05-2017 at 06:35 PM.
08-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #14

I just do not understand the need for video I have a K1 and it takes excellent still pictures if you wanted to do video perhaps a dedicated video camera would be the answer.
08-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sell k-1, get gh5 and a good manual prime for filming