Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #1

Bought used/damaged K-1

Hello everyone. Since this is my first post, I'll give a quick intro.

I first got into, and was active in the DSLR scene as a hobby from around 2004-2009. I started with a Canon 20D, and a few years later got a 5D. I amassed what I would call the three lower end "L" lenses, the 17-40, 24-105, and 70-200. For whatever reason around 2009 I guess I just grew tired of it, and stopped using the 5D. I do still have both bodies and the lenses though.

I've since rekindled my love of photography, and spent far too much time researching current model cameras. I did, and will continue to shoot primarily landscapes. That said, I was surprised to learn how awful Canon has been, and apparently still is at dynamic range (though I've seen amazing shots with the 5DS R). I eventually landed on either the Nikon D810, Sony A7R II, and of course the Pentax K-1. The first two were a bit out of my price range, so I was leaning heavily towards the K-1. The only thing really holding me back were/are the limited lens options. As an aside, I really, really liked the idea of using my existing lenses on the A7R II with an adapter.

Getting to the point, I just impulse bought a used K-1 off of eBay for just a hair over $1k. The price was right, but the condition maybe not so much. It has a crack, and two black spots in the viewfinder. It does however supposedly work fine. I'd like to hear opinions if I ripped myself off, or got a decent deal. Any idea what it would cost to fix?

Here's a few pictures from the listing.

Attached Images

08-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The marks in the viewfinder are likely due to dirt on the focusing screen, which can either be blown away, or replaced entirely. Hopefully it's not due to a chipped prism!

The prism housing is the only part of the body made of plastic (so it can pick up GPS), so the damage may not be as bad as it seems. It looks like the camera might have been dropped, impacting that spot.

Once you get the camera and inspect the focusing screen, we'll be able to get a better sense of the extent of the damage. Assuming it's just cosmetic, I'm sure Precision will be able to replace the top plate within the default repair quote of $300-ish. But there could also be other damage which might render this purchase uneconomical. You should return the camera in that case, since it would be not as described.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2017, 11:58 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I would say a K1 with that level of damage is over-priced, and I personally wouldn't have bought it at all.

The camera has clearly been abused and who's to say what other damage may be hiding inside.
08-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it works its ok value,...but if not well???

08-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard, Dirtfisher!

You're a braver man than me to buy it without first taking pictures with it and testing all its functions.

08-23-2017, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The glitches in the viewfinder might be tolerable, but the crack in the prism housing means it won't be weather resistant. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Mind you, I recently (unwittingly) bought a 645Z with a shutter count of 144,000, so I'm not a beacon of due diligence....
08-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtfisher Quote
... Any idea what it would cost to fix?.
Depend on where you live, you might want to ask service center near you for price estimate.

Below are a few places to help you get start
Pentax Repairs U.S.A., Pentax Service Centers
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

I hope the black thing on your view filder is just a large dust. Good luck.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-23-2017 at 01:18 AM.
08-23-2017, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

I've been watching this one but the price the first time it sold was to high for the risk. This is at least the second time it has been sold on ebay in the past 2 months. There was at least one other time it was relisted within days, assuming nonpayment. Good luck.
08-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #9

Personally I'd highly recommend not buying/returning this camera if possible, if it does not as the seller said "work fine".
08-23-2017, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would do everything possible to return this camera ASAP. There's what looks like a nice one in the marketplace here for $1500. I would think that is a much better route: Pentax K-1 - PentaxForums.com
08-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What you're paying for the camera + cost of repairs = no bargain at all.
08-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Send it back ASAP. In the long run you will pay more for that camera than a new one.
08-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate to echo negativity, but my concern is actually not the cosmetic problems, but the simple fact that the camera has been dropped and dropped pretty hard. There are plenty of fine tuned electronics inside that could have been damaged that may go bad over the next several months, even if they work when you first get it. That's what I would worry about.
08-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw this listing on ebay as well, and thought it might be nice to have as a 2nd (back-up) body for my main K-1, on professional shoots... or allow for double-wielding on complex even shoots. However, the black dot in the viewfinder seems a bit problematic, as I think it is indicative of more than just cosmetics. In the short-term I think it's fine for the weather-sealing to be compromised, especially if (like in my case) it were to be a 2nd camera. Long-term I worry that structurally it might have damage that will reveal itself over time. I think it could be a value if the price was roughly 1k, but anything above that... IDK.

As others have said, you're a much braver person. I would return that camera ASAP. I think if you're hoping to simply get a good value, I would just monitor the Marketplace. Every now and then K-1s get posted at a discount. It might be a little more than what that camera sold for, but you'll also have peace of mind that it doesn't have a problem. Most of the things listed in the Marketplace are very well taken care of.
08-23-2017, 07:02 PM - 5 Likes   #15

Original Poster
I decided to cancel the purchase, and thankfully the seller didn't have an issue with my decision.

A big thanks to all of you for the honesty. I can tell this is going to be a community I'm going to like.