Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 58
Has Pentax K1 overheating issue?

Good morning,

I got some weird shots months ago reason why I don't have any explanation.

The first time happened in Spain close to Valencia two months ago after shooting for around three hours with the battery almost dropped. At the end of the session 10 shots on 9 were like that. It looked at me the previous shot was mixed with the new one. I thought my camera had an overheating issue. I were using the Pentax 100 mm macro lens.

The second time happened few days later in Italy in the botanic garden in Padua. Here was hotter than Spain and dank too. My camera started getting crazy since the beginning. My battery was full charged and I were using the Pentax 50 mm macro lens.

Today my camera has only a issue with a button - and I have already opened a new thread for, but I would like to know the why of those shots and avoid it happens again.

Attached Images
 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-26-2017, 03:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,802
Those look like double or triple exposures to me. I can't tell from exif. Do you have the RAWS or unedited OOC Jpegs? They will contain more detailed exif data.
08-26-2017, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member
Topsy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 625
Also look like multiple exposures to me.
First and last one are actually pretty decent
08-26-2017, 04:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,665
Read this thread.. K-1 trouble: random double exposures - PentaxForums.com

08-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,035
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
What a coincidence, seeing a Pentaxian from Havre De Grace, MD. My wife and I were there yesterday. We had lunch at Tidewater Grille and did a lot of walking around town. Great photo ops. saw eagles and Ospreys over the bay. We live about 23 miles east on Route 40 just over the state line in Glasgow DE. I hope to get up to Conowingo later in the season when the eagles gather there.
08-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote

Well, it sounds like I activated by accident multi-exposure mode even my exif do not show it.

Thank you
08-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,546
Read up on the Lock function in your manual. Helps to avoid situations like this.

08-26-2017, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 51,595
It's pretty easy to inadvertently get into multi exposure mode

The solution, IMO, is to set C20 (Change AF Point Button) to "2" so that you need to press an extra button to get into the drive mode and other sub-menus. The directional controller will instead by default control the active AF point (or do nothing if you are in spot mode).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2017, 05:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,665
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
What a coincidence, seeing a Pentaxian from Havre De Grace, MD. My wife and I were there yesterday. We had lunch at Tidewater Grille and did a lot of walking around town. Great photo ops. saw eagles and Ospreys over the bay. We live about 23 miles east on Route 40 just over the state line in Glasgow DE. I hope to get up to Conowingo later in the season when the eagles gather there.
I like it here, there is a lot of photography opportunity in and around the area. I haven't been doing as much photography as late, been kayak fishing more. The big time of the year for eagles at the Conowingo is in November but man it's gotten to be a zoo there now at that time so go early or you may not find a place to park on the weekend. It can be hit or miss as to whether there are a lot around. I suggest bringing a very long lens and a gimbal head on a good tripod.
08-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 156
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's pretty easy to inadvertently get into multi exposure mode

The solution, IMO, is to set C20 (Change AF Point Button) to "2" so that you need to press an extra button to get into the drive mode and other sub-menus. The directional controller will instead by default control the active AF point (or do nothing if you are in spot mode).
Agree with Adam, after a few wrong mode accidents, I made this change and I prefer this setup, but I do a lot of manual focus point selection anyway.
08-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,035
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I like it here, there is a lot of photography opportunity in and around the area. I haven't been doing as much photography as late, been kayak fishing more. The big time of the year for eagles at the Conowingo is in November but man it's gotten to be a zoo there now at that time so go early or you may not find a place to park on the weekend. It can be hit or miss as to whether there are a lot around. I suggest bringing a very long lens and a gimbal head on a good tripod.
Thanks for your reply. Since you fish in the bay, I was curious about something that I believe you would know. Is the water in the bay in the Havre De Grace area fresh, brackish or salt? I always assumed the Chesapeake is mainly saltwater but someone near the restaurant where we ate said it is freshwater up there. I was watching some people fishing near the lighthouse but nobody caught anything while I was there so I could not tell. I noticed no barnacles on the rocks, and nobody crabbing which would indicate freshwater.
08-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,393
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I haven't been doing as much photography as late, been kayak fishing more.
Ha! Wish I could say that! I'm down in Baltimore, wouldn't mind catching up sometime---although I'm about to be away until the latter part of October for work ( I will be doing a bit of trout fishing out in Seattle area, though, during that part of the trip...). But I'd love to talk to you more about fishing, and gear stuff as well.

---------- Post added 08-27-17 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Thanks for your reply. Since you fish in the bay, I was curious about something that I believe you would know. Is the water in the bay in the Havre De Grace area fresh, brackish or salt? I always assumed the Chesapeake is mainly saltwater but someone near the restaurant where we ate said it is freshwater up there. I was watching some people fishing near the lighthouse but nobody caught anything while I was there so I could not tell. I noticed no barnacles on the rocks, and nobody crabbing which would indicate freshwater.
I believe it's brackish, at least up to the flats, then getting more fresh as you move towards the dam.
08-28-2017, 04:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,665
I wouldn't mind answering any of your questions but I don't think it fair to others this thread gets hijacked from it's topic. So if you'd like I'll start one over in General Talk under Chesapeake Bay Kayak Fishing header.
09-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,385
so, why does the title mention overheating...?
09-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,375
Just a note to get back on topic - I used my K-1 for over 2 hours in Liveview mode during the recent eclipse, though I did switch off in between shots, and with an ambient temperature in the upper 80s, had no overheating issues. Not that I was paying too much attention, but I didn't notice any abnormal body heating and the camera wasn't shielded from the sun, other than from the lens in front of it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, bay, camera, dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, lens, macro, months, pentax, pentax k-1, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Willllbur! Your mustang is overheating! gifthorse Post Your Photos! 6 06-11-2016 09:40 PM
overheating during timelapse paranoia23 Pentax Q 20 11-11-2014 06:00 PM
how is the video overheating/duration on the K-5? klkitchens Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 5 12-08-2011 02:59 AM
No Overheating Problems Contrary to Warnings Ron Boggs Video Recording and Processing 2 09-16-2011 04:16 PM
k-x overheating in video mode jupzchris Video Recording and Processing 3 05-24-2010 03:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top