Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K1 - Switching off AUTO iso

Hi. I am new to the forum but not Pentax cameras. I bought an MX back in 1979 added a second hand KX (film) and a couple of LXs, all of which I still have and use (except KX). Then came autofocus (MZ-3 and MZ-s both still in use) and finally digital (K10d and K5 part exchanged for K3). Took the plunge a few days ago and bought a K1 -awesome. That's the history, now the question.
Changing from a selected ISO to Auto ISO is straight forward and same as K3 - press ISO followed by green button. However, is there a quick way of changing back to the previously selected ISO without having to press the ISO button and twiddle the rear e-dial? It was a small irritation on the K3 but as high ISO values of K1 seems so much more useable, it obviously can take a bit longer to adjust from a higher ISO back to my usual lower value of about 200.
Thanks

08-31-2017, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard1956 Quote
However, is there a quick way of changing back to the previously selected ISO without having to press the ISO button and twiddle the rear e-dial?
It's either that or to use a user mode with a pre-selected ISO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The other K-1 option is the Smart Function (3rd) dial. Set it to ISO and then you can spin back to whatever ISO you wish. Note that this works even if you have the Lock function engaged.
08-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The other K-1 option is the Smart Function (3rd) dial. Set it to ISO and then you can spin back to whatever ISO you wish. Note that this works even if you have the Lock function engaged.
Additionally in that fashion you can control all three aspects of exposure without removing your eye from the viewfinder.

I mostly use P Mode now and the e-dials call HyperProgram Av or Tv. If necessary I can then bump ISO for a higher shutter speed or narrower aperture.

09-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This was suggested a while back in this forum and I started using it - haven't used auto ISO since. This is like using my old film camera except that I can change out the film (speedwise) with the twist of the dial. It takes a little more experience as to what ISO to use with given scene lighting and lens settings, but if you get a feel for that and how the K-1 works at higher ISOs, it makes this mode of operation really nice to use.