Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
There is evidence. Tamron has licensed the mount specification, as Tamron is the OEM manufacturer of some lenses sold by Pentax (as for instance the 18-250 and the 18-270 or the new 15-30).
There is a known and fairly long-standing collaboration between the two companies, though I don't see that as evidence that Tamron is licensing tech.* Yes, two of the D FA zooms are undoubtedly based on Tamron product as are other lenses in the past. As for the KAF mount...the design patents are long expired. The relationship between Pentax and Tokina in regards to the two DA* lenses is extremely well documented and was well-known and in the press at the time those lenses were released.

There is another AF lens...trying to remember...that was a simple rebadge to Pentax...OK! I remember almost correctly! The 1998 FA 100/3.5 Macro was made by Cosina and sold as Pentax, Cosina, Vivitar, Phoenix, Promaster and probably others. The Pentax version is unique in that the lens is labeled as SMC and assumed to have SMC coatings, but otherwise, it is a Cosina product. Interestingly, the Cosina 100/3.5 Macro identifies in the EXIF with the same code as the Pentax lens...or is it the other way around Soooo...inquiring minds want to know, did Pentax share SMC and KAF manufacture, design, and functional specs (data api included) with Cosina or were Cosina's standards and reverse engineering "good enough" to satisfy Pentax requirements? Speculation about this lens has come up every once in awhile on this site and strangely enough, exchange of DNA between the two makers appears to have been minimal which is a shame.

Steve

* One can have collaboration and co-production with NO sharing of proprietary company secrets. For example: an OEM company manufacturers to spec and if part of that spec is to leave space for a chip along with shipping without mount, a lens may be made with zero sharing.

10-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tokina 100-300mm F5.6-6.8-7 AF Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Ah. So they even made AF lenses with Pentax mount. Interesting.

But at least for the last decade, as far as I recall, they've definitively ceased doing that.
No Pentax lenses from Tokina since the end of the Hoya partnership...but they made AF lenses for Pentax during the film era certainly...
10-24-2017, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interestingly, the Cosina 100/3.5 Macro identifies in the EXIF with the same code as the Pentax lens...or is it the other way around
Lightroom identifies my Phoenix as a FA...
10-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But at least for the last decade, as far as I recall, they've definitively ceased doing that.
They were still making K-mount AF in 2007. I bought a Tokina zoom for my daughter that year. I believe they continued until about 2010, IIRC. I was considering purchase of a higher-end model at that time (AT-X 20-35/2.8 IIRC).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-24-2017 at 08:05 PM.