Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Strange memory card problem

So, I was in a middle of photoshoot last week and K-1 suddenly displayed an error message(which I don't remember as I was in a hurry and didn't write it down) and froze. I had to remove the battery to get going again and found out that last two files coulnd't be shown in preview but nothing else. When I got to my computer though I found out that I was missing more than those two files, whole scene of 12-15 photos was gone. Stranger still the image numbering was continous so it was like I didn't even shoot that scene.

Haven't had the problem since and I think it was the card that was to blame since I haven't used it after that day. Still wondering though if the problem could resurface again.

11-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely the card. I would format it if you haven't already. Many cards come with lifetime warranties, so if it happens again that could be an option.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just curious, but was it a Lexar card? I've heard of odd behavior/failures from them.
11-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Just curious, but was it a Lexar card? I've heard of odd behavior/failures from them.
Sandisc extreme III. Also, fw 1.41.

11-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
Sandisc extreme III. Also, fw 1.41.
I think the Sandisc are top notch in reliability, so I would write this off as unusual but possible. You could mess around with various approaches to formatting in a PC etc., but for the price of these things, throw it out and get a new one.
11-30-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I think the Sandisc are top notch in reliability, so I would write this off as unusual but possible. You could mess around with various approaches to formatting in a PC etc., but for the price of these things, throw it out and get a new one.
The card went out of rotation after I found out that photos were missing. No point to risk it.
11-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If for some reason one tries to play back PS exposure when writing to card is not complete it is possible to crash the camera. This happened to me quite a few times and I also lost images that way. FW was whatever it was in April 2017.

11-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the card(s) are formatted in the camera to be used prior to use then it should not have a problem. If it does, the user could try it and another card after both being formatted in the camera to be used and see if either operate normally.