Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
L Bracket, Grip and mounting stuff for K1

I just purchased a grip for my K1. I'd also like to get an L bracket of some sort that will fit on the grip enhanced camera. Here's where it gets a little wierd though. I have a Manfrotto geared head that I absolutely love using. It uses a quick release plate, so obviously there's nothing for the L bracket to grab onto. What I want to see if I can get is just the gripping portion of a ballhead to mount onto the quick release plate, this way I've got something to get the L bracket into.

Any suggestions? Yes, I realize this is convoluted.

12-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have a similar situation (but don't use the grip). I picked up an RRS L bracket. I also had an extra Arca-Swiss clamp (Sunwayfoto DLC-60) that I bolted on to the Manfrotto 410 plate. Essentially rather than having the 410 plate bolt into the camera's base, it bolts into the AS clamp. Then the camera body with the AS L-Bracket is held by the AS Clamp.

I have heard of a general purpose body/grip L bracket being available (and if I remember correctly, it's AS).

12-08-2017, 03:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too have a similar situation (but don't use the grip). I picked up an RRS L bracket. I also had an extra Arca-Swiss clamp (Sunwayfoto DLC-60) that I bolted on to the Manfrotto 410 plate. Essentially rather than having the 410 plate bolt into the camera's base, it bolts into the AS clamp. Then the camera body with the AS L-Bracket is held by the AS Clamp.

I have heard of a general purpose body/grip L bracket being available (and if I remember correctly, it's AS).

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for...not sure why my efforts at googling that myself failed...
12-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hejnar Photo makes conversion sets for the Manfrotto heads. He (AFAIK it's a one-man operation) sells through eBay, and also now through Amazon.

12-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Add a +1 to what Internet_Observer said. I even use the exact same clamp on my primary tripod.

Desmond clamps on B&H are inexpensive and very sturdy. I've used those to convert all of my support setups to Arca Swiss receivers... desktop tripods, monopods, clamp mounts, long lens cradle supports, everything AS. There's a reason it's the gold standard!
12-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Alright, so I purchased the RRS lever release clamp.

however, I just realized (grip just came in the mail today) that the hole location for the RRS K1 L-bracket I bought is different with the grip on. Is there an L bracket version that will work with the K1 with a grip attached?

12-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
Is there an L bracket version that will work with the K1 with a grip attached?
No dedicated l-plates for K-1 + BG available yet.
Only universal l-plates.
12-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I actually use my Mestos L-plate from my K-5 + Grip on my K-1 +Grip. admittedly, you cant remove the battery from the grip as I could on the K-5, but, with any generic L-plate on there you cant either, it would be the same, but the fit is good, and the shape of the l-plate give protection to the grip battery compartment, so win win. and I didnt have to buy anything.