Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

Extreme Cold

Hey all!
So I got the new K1 and holy is it ever awesome!
I was reading the manual though and its only rated to go into -10 C temperatures.
Is that because it will get damaged or do they say that because cold will affect optimal battery life? I live in winnipeg canada and I'm itching to take some shots outdoors but its -35 here today lol

Thanks for your advice!

12-31-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sysdmg Quote
but its -35 here today lol
That's a stay inside day with your preferred dram.

Enjoy the new K1, it's quite a camera.
12-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The battery life would be degraded in cold weather. If you were to go outside briefly, theK-1 would be OK, becaue it would not im,ediately reach -35 degrees. The importnat thing to remember is condensation or water vapor inside the camera freezing when you go outside, or once you come back inside, condensation forming inside the camera, so do not open the camera to change lenses right away. I usually leave the camera inside the case, and let it reach room temperature slowly before I open it to change a lens or Sd Card. Also, I keep silica dessicant packs in the case to minimize moisture during storage.
12-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's a stay inside day with your preferred dram.

Enjoy the new K1, it's quite a camera.

Lol I'm told that -35 C is average for winter here and should expect -50. Oh boy am I ever excited lolol

---------- Post added 12-31-17 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The battery life would be degraded in cold weather. If you were to go outside briefly, theK-1 would be OK, becaue it would not im,ediately reach -35 degrees. The importnat thing to remember is condensation or water vapor inside the camera freezing when you go outside, or once you come back inside, condensation forming inside the camera, so do not open the camera to change lenses right away. I usually leave the camera inside the case, and let it reach room temperature slowly before I open it to change a lens or Sd Card. Also, I keep silica dessicant packs in the case to minimize moisture during storage.
Perfect, that makes sense, kinda treat the camera as if its a diver coming up from the depths etc. Ease it into the temperature. Which can be possible because I have an enclosed porch that's cold but no where near as cold as outside and then a back room thats slightly warmer etc. And I'll get some silica packs for the camera bag too! Thanks so much!

12-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

I have used my K3 in cold weather many times (usually in the -20's rather than -30's) and have been out for three hours or more with no ill effects other than reduced battery life. I keep an extra battery in an inside pocket in case the cold one dies (they come back if you warm them up). I have seen people hold hand warmer packs against the battery area of the camera but I don't know it that would create a temperature differential that might be a problem for condensation. The only cold weather impact I have had is that my zoom on the 60-250 became very stiff at -25c (thats OK so do I) but worked fine when it warmed up. I follow the same protocol as Robgski and it works well, never had a condensation problem even though my camera has been covered in frost many times. Kerrowdown's idea sounds pretty good to me too.

Greetings and Happy New Year from Calgary, it is only a balmy -29c here today.
12-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have taken K-1 to -35C once and for long periods @ -30C during last winter. It works fine but liveview and top LCD get very sluggish quick. I had these "minor issues" at least once:

-tilt screen support mechanism froze as ice formed in those joints
-SR mechanism which I used to shift the sensor up/down froze to maximum upright position twice which required hard reset by taking out the battery. This may be a consequence for low battery charge.

Take 3-4 batteries with you and store the ones not in use in warm pocket. If possible, disable AF and use manual focus which will be easier for quite a many lenses.
12-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I was really worried about damaging my new baby but I knew deep down that Pentax would come out strong as ever and rugged as hell!

Happy new years everyone!

12-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a nice glass of your favorite hot beverage, MJKoski's stories in IBIS failure at -28C temp - PentaxForums.com, which the above gives you the essence of, are an interesting read.
12-31-2017, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #9

My K-3 has a similar minimum temperature, and I often take it out in the cold (Calgary, -20 or -25). At -30 *I* start to freeze up (long before the camera does). On the camera, the battery will degrade first. If you’ll be outside for a while, carry a spare battery in a warm inside pocket and swap when the one in the camera runs down. If it gets REALLY cold, the lubricants may start to stiffen up. I’ve never experienced that, even on long walks (an hour or two). The lithium ion batteries our cameras use are still pretty good in the cold, my K-3 lasts much longer than my K-x (with NiMH rechargeable AAs) ever did, even if I kept the K-x in my jacket. I leave the K-3 out (hanging from the neck strap), Calgary may be dry but condensation can still happen and fog the lens.
12-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
whafrog

QuoteOriginally posted by sysdmg Quote
I live in winnipeg canada and I'm itching to take some shots outdoors but its -35 here today lol
Hello fellow 'pegger I had my K-70 out yesterday in Bird's Hill Park for about 3 hours total, it was -31 out there. Once the mirror started "triple-flipping"* I switched to a warm battery and the problem went away. Otherwise the camera performed perfectly: screen, autofocus, exposure...no issues at all. I imagine a K-1 would perform just as well, just have a warm battery available to swap to.

* I have a thread on this triple-flipping issue, here:
Found the cold limit? - PentaxForums.com

Edit: when you're done, just make sure to either leave your camera in the bag or put your camera bag inside a plastic bag before coming inside, and don't open it until the camera reaches ambient temperature.

Last edited by whafrog; 12-31-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: one more thing...
12-31-2017, 01:57 PM - 3 Likes   #11

As everyone else has said, the battery is the first to feel the effects of extreme cold.

I've had my K-1 as well as my K-5 out at -20c for a few hours at time with no ill effects. The only problem I have had is with one lens where there must be a bit of oil residue on the aperture blades and the aperture is sticky at about +5c.

As the air is dry on the prairies, even condensation hasn't been an issue.

Here is a picture taken in Saskatoon yesterday. Temperature started the day -36.5c with a wind chill around -45c

This was taken in the afternoon at about -30c with a freshening breeze.

Dress warm (layers and layers) and have a go at taking pictures.

Jim
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
12-31-2017, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have access to AC power, using an appropriate AC-DC adapter eliminates power problems in extreme cold. One thing I have trained myself to do is to remove the SD cards first after a shoot before wrapping up the camera in a parka to bring inside a warm building.
12-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All this talk of cold weather shooting prompts me to ask you all to consider posting in the " Bad Weather Makes Good Pictures" thread in my signature below. Having WR capable bodies and lenses allows hardy Pentaxians to shoot in conditions that make owners of less resilient camera systems remain indoors.
12-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I never ran into any issues with the K3 in the cold we have here. 0F is about as bad as it gets. The K1 got sluggish; the shutter wouldn't operate properly. I turned it off and had no issues afterwards.
01-01-2018, 03:33 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Forum Member

I have had my K-3 out in harsh conditions for years and the Nordic winter is my favourite time. One of the toughest hikes was when we were out for a full week with temperatures changing from +2 to -20 deg C and with precipitation varying from rain to snow practically every day. The Pentax K-3 was for the whole week mounted on my backpack shoulder strap (using Peak designs clip Capture) and was exposed to the elements for 10-12 hrs per day. I used no camera protection whatsoever, since I needed to be ready to shoot at any time. I also used Pentax weather sealed lenses.

The only problem I encountered was going from rain to sub zero temperatures there would eventually build up a layer of ice over the camera. Usually no big thing, just to put the index finger over the viewfinder to melt the ice a bit and I was ready to go. In some occasions the ice would be so thick it was hard to operate the camera buttons. Also in deep snow or in heavy rain it could be dfficult to keep he front lens clear, but with the clip on the backpack strap the camera mounts with the lens pointing downwards and it is surprising how well the lens is protected.

The K-3 was my faithful companion for many years, but last summer the viewfinder cracked when the camera slipped off a kayak onto a small stone on the shore. In the process to buy a new camera I really wanted to go to mirrorless (smaller an lighter) but I realised I would never be able to leave the outstanding Pentax weather sealing and I am now a happy K-1 photographer.

"No Pentax gear was damaged during this shoot"

More photos by the K-3 on adventure on my site: Nature - Contextphoto
And, yes my beloved K-3 will get a repair

Last edited by marmitse; 01-01-2018 at 03:57 AM.