Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Multiple (timed) shots to blur water

I realize that I'm still learning the intricacies of my K-1, and when it happened to take pictures of a beautiful waterfall I completely forgot that there are options to blur the water even if I forget the ND filters.
I shot stopped down to the minimum aperture, way into diffraction zone, affecting the sharpness of the final image.
Which is the best timed multi-shot option to blur water?
Given enough time, I can experiment, but I found that reviewing the pictures on the camera screen can be misleading

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 01-04-2018 at 06:08 PM.
01-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never tried that technique. As a recent user of ND filters they would be my first choice. But interested to hear the responses.
01-04-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I use average multi exposure to simulate long exposures. You want to still get some level of blur in each exposure, otherwise the overlap is visible. This is more of an issue if there's wind and tree branches are moving, fast running water will look fine but the trees will not.

A compromise would be to buy fewer nd filters, for example just a 3 stop, and try simulating longer exposures.
01-04-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What aaacb said. That is, go to the Drive Mode menu and select Multi-Exposure, and set the Composite mode to Average.

01-04-2018, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, it works and can be done both in and out of camera. That being said, the blur is not fully equivalent to a continuous exposure of x-number of seconds. At issue is the lag between exposures that create "holes" in the blur.

Steve
01-04-2018, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #6

There is an 'average' option in timelapse mode. That being results are not great. They become pretty good for a large numbers of exposures. I used this for blurring water on the beach and it becomes reasonably good looking around 20-30 shots. your mileage may vary.
01-04-2018, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For beach waves I can see you'd need more shots to cover the "holes" as stevebrot puts it. For a stream or waterfall the holes aren't as problematic.