Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
../.. I understand the G2 is a little sharper wide open above 135mm, but I see nothing in the performance of my G1 that would have me wishing for more... especially at the price. Maybe I'd notice the difference if I was pixel peeping, but I'd be amazed if the difference was appreciable at 50% or smaller reproduction. And I really wonder how many people really need, or can make productive use of, more than that...
That's the point. To what extent can one be tolerant to manage the weaknesses and strengths of a lens? Qualities of a lens are not only a matter of resolution, and for some of us, weaknessess are strengths: these defects may help type the lens.
The best known example in Leica-R gear is the Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4. I had to get rid of it but it is a fantastic lens, especially when using slides at time of films... Another one, unknown (and for good reason), the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 180/2 is like the Lux'80 but with contrast already W.O.. Did I tell you about "shaping" of Leica lenses?

02-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #77
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
That's the point. To what extent can one be tolerant to manage the weaknesses and strengths of a lens? Qualities of a lens are not only a matter of resolution, and for some of us, weaknessess are strengths: these defects may help type the lens.
I'm definitely one of the "some of us" The majority of my favourite lenses have "weaknesses" that lead to rendering I find very attractive.

As regards the Tamron 70-200 G1 I was referring to (and I believe it's very similar to Pentax's 70-200), the detail, sharpness and - for a modern lens - rendering are very appealing to me. I don't honestly think of it as having any real weaknesses... well, perhaps the only one is focus breathing, but that's hardly unusual with this design of lens and happens to a greater or lesser extent with all similar lenses from the major manufacturers.
02-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Here is an example of the very "bad" Leica Summicron-R 35/2 on tri-X... A Walter Mandler design that prioritize micro contrast and grey scale rather than resolution... I admit this lens is the weakest Leica-R lens I have got but look at the shirt: what a modelé (shaped rendering)! The Leica Summilux-R 35/1.4 is far better but very expensive (I didn't buy it) and Leica Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/35-70 is still very good at all apertures... I had Nikon AI-S 35/2 which was very very good and far better than the Elmarit-R 35 except for grey scale.

Cambodia, Leica Summicron-R 35/2 with Leica R6/R8, Tri-X @ ISO400, 2008. dK-1.