Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question regarding electronic shutter..

Is using live view same as electronic shutter? I would have thought so, except that in the menu there is an option to turn off LV Electronic Shutter, so I find this a little confusing. I figured LV would automatically have the shutter out of the way, hence my confusion.

Thanks.

02-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Is using live view same as electronic shutter? I would have thought so, except that in the menu there is an option to turn off LV Electronic Shutter, so I find this a little confusing. I figured LV would automatically have the shutter out of the way, hence my confusion.

Thanks.
You're confusing the mirror with the shutter. By default, the mechanical shutter is still used in live view.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Live View removes the mirror from the optical path to the sensor . The electronic shutter mode also opens the mechanical shutter before exposure.
02-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Electronic shutter on K-1

What are the conditions to be able to use ES.
I got it once and wasn’t able to have it another day.
Thanks for your help

02-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In LV the mirror is up and the leading curtain shutter is open.

If you do not enable ES , then when you press the shutter the leading curtain closes, then opens to start the exposure. Second curtain ends the exposure.

If you do enable ES, when you press the shutter, the camera enables the sensor to start recording the image (exposure). The second curtain ends the exposure.

---------- Post added 02-06-18 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
Thanks for your help
Continuous exposure mode for one will disable ES, as will HDR mode.
02-06-2018, 03:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That's very interesting Peter. I have long wondered about something ..... If the sensor is capable of switching its recording on and off so precisely for every exposure time value, I can't really understand why the mechanical shutter is needed at all, even for viewfinder operations.
02-06-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
That's very interesting Peter. I have long wondered about something ..... If the sensor is capable of switching its recording on and off so precisely for every exposure time value, I can't really understand why the mechanical shutter is needed at all, even for viewfinder operations.
A sensor is not capable of switching its recording off in time. The pixels decay in response.

It's a problem with all electronic shutters. AFAIK, only when you pay for the Sony A9 do you start to get good mitigation of the problem.

02-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ok, thanks. I see I'm going to have to start reading up on this.... It's one of those things that can keep you awake at night! But in electronic shutter mode the sensor must be controlling the EV by "switching it's recording on and off ", as the mechanical shutter is disengaged and open .... ?

Although I see above that Peter said it was the 2nd curtain closing that ended the exposure, in ES,mode..... That'd obviously why you can get very short times like 1/20,000th as it's only limited by the speed of the closing curtain, not the speed of two moving curtains.

Last edited by mcgregni; 02-06-2018 at 05:04 AM.
02-06-2018, 05:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Although I see above that Peter said it was the 2nd curtain closing that ended the exposure, in ES,mode
That's right Nigel. The second curtain ends the exposure in both capture modes.

But if you want something else to keep you awake, ponder this: With normal-two curtain shutter mode the exposure to the sensor will always be even as the two curtains travel at the same speed, so every bit of the sensor gets the same exposure. Now with ES there is no first curtain. So the second curtain must allow more exposure to hit the part of the sensor at the end of its travel than at the beginning by dint of simple physics (Imagine closing a curtain on a window at home). So does this must mean that in ES mode the sensor is "energised" unevenly to start actual capture to compensate for this ?
02-06-2018, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Oh no! The rings under my eyes are getting blacker even thinking about it ......
02-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That's right Nigel. The second curtain ends the exposure in both capture modes.

But if you want something else to keep you awake, ponder this: With normal-two curtain shutter mode the exposure to the sensor will always be even as the two curtains travel at the same speed, so every bit of the sensor gets the same exposure. Now with ES there is no first curtain. So the second curtain must allow more exposure to hit the part of the sensor at the end of its travel than at the beginning by dint of simple physics (Imagine closing a curtain on a window at home). So does this must mean that in ES mode the sensor is "energised" unevenly to start actual capture to compensate for this ?
I’m not entirely convinced that the second curtain is used to end the exposure. I’ve seen it stated before, but were does that info come from?

I mean pixelshift takes four exposures and we can be pretty sure the first three are done without any mechanical shutter at all. And I bet the last shot in the sequence also is done without the shutter, even if the shutter cycles at the end of the pixelshift sequence.

Maybe they just cycles the shutter as a feedback thing indicating end of exposure?
02-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think to use the electronic shutter with live view you have to have it set with that option in the menu and have your shutter set to single shot mode. Of note is that there is a pause after you hit the shutter button when using the electronic shutter that there isn't if you have it set to use the mechanical shutter.

As far as I know, the pixel shift does use the electronic shutter for all four exposures (it certainly does for the first three). Certainly I have never seen shutter shake with pixel shift which I would think you would see occasionally if you used a mechanical shutter for at least one of the exposures.
02-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
In LV the mirror is up and the leading curtain shutter is open.

If you do not enable ES , then when you press the shutter the leading curtain closes, then opens to start the exposure. Second curtain ends the exposure.

If you do enable ES, when you press the shutter, the camera enables the sensor to start recording the image (exposure). The second curtain ends the exposure.[COLOR="Silver"]
OK. This basically explains it. I knew the mirror moved out of the way, that was obvious to me, but the live view is what confused me as I figured the shutter itself had to be opened so the sensor would give you the live view image, just wasn't sure how this all worked together. So more or less they sort of work the same, just the leading curtain isn't involved in the ES mode. Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

---------- Post added 02-06-2018 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
Thanks for your help
I believe that when using ES, the flash won't work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
02-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I’m not entirely convinced that the second curtain is used to end the exposure. I’ve seen it stated before, but were does that info come from?
That is an interesting point. I just assumed the second curtain ended the exposure because you can clearly hear it travel and then open up again.
02-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone know what the ES scan speed is in the K1? I know in the Q it was 1/30sec but I suspect the K1 is even slower. This was with a 135mm - he was just strolling past.
Attached Images