Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-1 and Lightroom ?

I am planning to buy a Pentax K-1 and shoot Adobe Raw DNG format.
My current LR version is 5.7 and can not update it.. I can go to version 6
I do not want to go to CC ..
Will LR 5.7 read a file from the K-1?
do I need to go to v.6?
Or am I out of luck ?

What editing software is mostly used by the forum group??

02-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use Silkypix Developer Studio Pro for raw conversion, and Photoshop CC2018 if I want to do further editing. I use LR Classic CC for cataloguing.

I know many don't like the subscription system, but LR and Photoshop for £10 a month seems good value to me.
02-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just used the PDCU that came with the cameras for several years. Last November I got Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 8. It comes with three licenses so I can easily use it on multiple computers. Never used Lightroom.
02-10-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See Adobe's current full list of camera support. It says the K-1 was first supported in version 6.5.1, and ACR 9.5.1.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

02-10-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I have an even older version of lightroom and it works, at least with .dng (haven't shot .pef since the K10d). I can't check the actual versions as I'm not at home at the moment.
02-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
See Adobe's current full list of camera support. It says the K-1 was first supported in version 6.5.1, and ACR 9.5.1.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw
Thanks.. I assume if I upgrade to the perpetual LR v.6 I can get an update to the 6.5 ..
UPDATE:
odd, Adobe says the latest update to v.6 is v.6.14 ?? how do you get to 6.5.1 ??
02-10-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
Thanks.. I assume if I upgrade to the perpetual LR v.6 I can get an update to the 6.5 ..
You don't have to though, I THINK I'm using lightroom 3.5 with ACR 6.5 without a problem. I will have to double check that though.

02-10-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using LR v5.6 into perpetuity. K-1 DNG files are beautiful right out of the box.
02-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
.dng files are able to be read by even the earliest versions as it is an adobe "open" format. The only thing you could possibly lose is some kind of built-in profile for corrections on a new "official K-1 supported" version, but the .dng file will always open (it is one of the nice things about a new Pentax camera... you don't have to wait for the updated version for your raw files to work.)

Even if for some reason you absolutely wanted to shoot .PEF files, I believe the free Adobe DNG file converter would get you from that to a .DNG that you could open (doesn't seem like this would make any sense, but just thought I'd mention it anyway.)

Have fun with the camera!
02-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I am planning to buy a Pentax K-1 and shoot Adobe Raw DNG format.
My current LR version is 5.7 and can not update it.. I can go to version 6
I do not want to go to CC ..
Will LR 5.7 read a file from the K-1?
do I need to go to v.6?
Or am I out of luck ?
It will read the DNG files, but not the PEF files. If you are using Adobe software, the DNG format is your best friend. I have a laptop from ~2004 that has Photoshop 7 (not CS, this is pre CS software) loaded on it. It is the first version of Photoshop that had a raw converter available.
It will open K1 DNG files, though it takes a very long time (its a very slow computer by today's standard).
02-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
.dng files are able to be read by even the earliest versions as it is an adobe "open" format. The only thing you could possibly lose is some kind of built-in profile for corrections on a new "official K-1 supported" version, but the .dng file will always open (it is one of the nice things about a new Pentax camera... you don't have to wait for the updated version for your raw files to work.)

Even if for some reason you absolutely wanted to shoot .PEF files, I believe the free Adobe DNG file converter would get you from that to a .DNG that you could open (doesn't seem like this would make any sense, but just thought I'd mention it anyway.)

Have fun with the camera!
perfect -- thank you for the response.
I have always shot .dng

---------- Post added 02-10-18 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I'm using LR v5.6 into perpetuity. K-1 DNG files are beautiful right out of the box.
thank you.
02-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DNG are indeed readable in earlier versions of LR, but the trade-off is that one is generally limited to the so-called embedded import profile provided by Pentax. An up-to-date version of Lightroom will contain an Adobe Standard standard profile created by Adobe for your K-1 as well as several others that equate to several of your camera's custom image settings. It will also support PEF from the K-1. I don't know how things are for the K-1 (am not an owner), but for my K-3, I find the Adobe Standard is much more pleasing for initial import than the embedded.

The above being said, if one is using an older version of LR, say v5.6, up-to-date camera profile (.dcp) files including those for the K-1 are bundled with Adobe's DNG Converter software. The converter is Adobe's way of providing older versions of LR and ACR compatibility with newer cameras.*

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

BTW...the import profiles are more complex than one might assume. They are not ICC color profiles nor are they a set of presets. The author of the dcpTool profile editing tool has provided a short description...

DCP FIles

Steve

* I am running Lightroom v5.7 on Windows 7 and am able to import straight from the camera K-1 DNG files to Adobe Standard as well as "embedded" and five other profiles using the .dcp files stored as shared resources by the DNG Converter program. Doing an actual file conversion has not been needed. K-1 PEF support, however, requires conversion to DNG first.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-10-2018 at 02:11 PM.
02-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have 5.7.1 and am in the same pickle you are in. DNG files work great. I would just go to 6.x but it's a dead end. I should really go to CC, especially for masking and compositing, but then I'm some what stuck too. LR 6.x supports pixel shifting, but the free RawTharpee supports that a bit better as I understand. I waited a very long time for Affinity Photo, but it's still lacking in some areas, and especially with masking - in particular, does not operate as one would expect. So, I'm still on the fence to some degree. CC appears to be in my future (regardless of if I really want to go that way or not).

02-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too have 5.7.1 and am in the same pickle you are in. DNG files work great. I would just go to 6.x but it's a dead end. I should really go to CC, especially for masking and compositing, but then I'm some what stuck too. LR 6.x supports pixel shifting, but the free RawTharpee supports that a bit better as I understand. I waited a very long time for Affinity Photo, but it's still lacking in some areas, and especially with masking - in particular, does not operate as one would expect. So, I'm still on the fence to some degree. CC appears to be in my future (regardless of if I really want to go that way or not).

It all depends on your individual needs and workflow.. From what I researched, the diff between v.6 and v.5x is performance.. I have never had an issue with performance.. but for $149, I may go to 6 for my .DNG files on the K-1.. the CC business model just does not work for me.
02-13-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

From what I researched, the diff between v.6 and v.5x is performance
...and several features. Whether those are important depends on the user.

but for $149, I may go to 6 for my .DNG files on the K-1.. the CC business model just does not work for me.
I just looked at B&H and sure enough, they are offering both CD and download of v6.x standalone for $149. It had been my understanding that Adobe shut the door permanently of sales of the standalone product on 1/1/2018. I managed to grab a copy at the update price just before the end of the year and even then, I had to use the Adobe Web store. It had disappeared from everywhere else. You can imagine I was surprised to find it available again, though without the upgrade price. Perhaps Adobe is rethinking their strategy?

Steve