Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you service upgrade your K-1 to K-1 II?
Yes 7431.36%
No 2912.29%
I have not decided yet 9640.68%
Not relevant to me (I have another camera etc) 2811.86%
No. I have a K-1 but will buy a new K-1 II 93.81%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 02:20 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Just go shoot a landscape PS image on your K-1 with a slight breeze blowing..... notice some fuzzy blur in places ?
Yes the new specs are overkill to a degree.....but if it works as advertised....Wow !
No one is advertising that.
The new PS cancels movement at the camera end - allowing hand held super resolution images. It can't fix a moving subject.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-25-2018 at 02:31 AM.
02-25-2018, 02:28 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It is an interesting concept to do pixel shift for the purpose of increasing image resolution and then replace area of the image where pixel shift does work by normal resolution. For me, that's a flawed concept.
Perhaps, but that is how it works. Still an image with 90% PS is better then an image with no PS.
But to be fair the increased resolution is usually not detectable even when pixel peeping at 200%, the normal demosaicing process is incredible good. If you are shooting something from nature (not man made) it's nearly impossible to see any resolution increase at all!

However the noise level drops and that is easier to see, at least in the shadows.
02-25-2018, 04:52 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
With the launch of K-1 II, the owners of the original K-1 got an upgrade offer. The offer was to send in the camera and upgrade the circuit board (and logo) to K-1 II. The price in USA was set to 550 US$ and in Canada to 690 CAD. The upgrade service would be avalable from 21. may to 30. september 2018. Are you going to upgrade your original K-1?

The upgrade service will probably be available world wide. DPR just had prices for north america because their primary Ricoh-Pentax contact was the north american contact.

The poll runs out 30. september 2018
I like the idea, but doubt that I'll be able to go without my K-1 for an extended period of time, since I shoot events etc at work. So there's merit in the thought of buying a K-1 II and selling my K-1.

Anyhow, this is a nice problem to have. Kudos to Ricoh -- this is a great way to strengthen brand loyalty, and will probably attract new users to the brand.
02-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I just wish lightroom implemented better ps integration. No matter how much I tried, I can't get used to RawThearpees interface and work flow, and usually just do touch ups in lightroom followed by processing in photoshop. Honestly, this prevents me from using ps more, if lightroom implemented that tech better I'd use it a lot

02-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #65
tax

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I just wish lightroom implemented better ps integration. No matter how much I tried, I can't get used to RawThearpees interface and work flow, and usually just do touch ups in lightroom followed by processing in photoshop. Honestly, this prevents me from using ps more, if lightroom implemented that tech better I'd use it a lot
You can try Darktable. It has pretty decent PS and noise filtering algorithms.
02-26-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm leaning towards the upgrade. Here are my reasons:

The ISO boost could be very handy to me for what I do at work( I won't bore people...). From what I've seen so far (there are a couple of teasers floating around) the mid iso range noise is much improved, and those are iso's I am increasingly forced to use. Bumping up stops in post also works, but those underexposed shots are very hard or impossible to chimp. As I'm often shooting things at work that I only have one shot at, chimping is important as a running field check. Even at the risk of losing invariance, I'd rather get the better iso performance. As far as the raws being altered with NR (which DPR suspected Canon and Nikon both have been doing for a while), I can actually live with that for this camera in my principal usage with it. I have the 645Z for "purity".

The hand-held PS possibility would be great and amazing if true. These 2 things alone are worth the upgrade for me, based on my needs.

There's maybe something else in there that might be handy, we won't fully know for a while.

Finally, and I'll get lots of hate comments for this one I'm sure, I'm actually quite interested in voting with my wallet on this innovation from Pentax. I'm happy to reward them in this endeavor, and I hope they get tremendous response to show them that we are interested in this sort of upgrade path, not only with this camera, but in my case with the 645Z as well. I like that we have the option of buying new or upgrading old, and I especially like the body's layout staying exactly the same. The upgrading that has been necessary for performance over the last 17 years (for me) has had happy consequences of course, but one of them was not having to learn a new body every time. I could do without that for a while, thank you.
02-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #67
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I'm leaning towards the upgrade. Here are my reasons:

As far as the raws being altered with NR (which DPR suspected Canon and Nikon both have been doing for a while), I can actually live with that for this camera in my principal usage with it. I have the 645Z for "purity".
Hello, Could you please elaborate a bit more on how RAW images are being affected by this new accelerator unit. I do not shoot in JPG format, just RAW in DNG format and then post process them in Darktable and occasionally in RawTherapee. I would like to have as much pristine RAW image as possible. Is there any possibility to turn this accelerator unit off when you don't need it? Does this accelerator unit kick in at a certain ISO like 1600 and above or it is always on?

02-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
Hello, Could you please elaborate a bit more on how RAW images are being affected by this new accelerator unit. I do not shoot in JPG format, just RAW in DNG format and then post process them in Darktable and occasionally in RawTherapee. I would like to have as much pristine RAW image as possible. Is there any possibility to turn this accelerator unit off when you don't need it? Does this accelerator unit kick in at a certain ISO like 1600 and above or it is always on?
This is the speculation here (read through this thread), that it may affect the raws. I personally don't know this. As far as turning it off, I would doubt it. Not sure about if it "kicks in" at a certain point, but the videos I've seen seem to indicate that it's always in play.
02-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #69
Pentaxian

If it doesn't affect raws, my one reason for buying the K-1ii just evaporated.
02-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #70

Well, wenn I look at a ISO 204800 RAW made by my K-1, I doubt Pentax having the chutzpah to create a camera that creates RAW files two f-stops worse than that and announcing that as something new.

It takes quite an effort to denoise that ISO 204800 RAW to obtain an image that is barely tolerable; I definitively doubt that just increasing the ISO range without changing anything else is something Pentax engineers would even think about.
02-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If it doesn't affect raws, my one reason for buying the K-1ii just evaporated.
For the record, I think what people above have been suggesting is that NR is being applied to the raws, thus making them not actually raw, but partly cooked.

For me, if the accelerator unit is just improving high iso performance, then excellent. If OTOH it is doing a little bit of cooking---well, if it's not obnoxious then I'm ok with that and would find it useful. Based on what I have seen, there's a decent improvement however it's happening, enough to convince me to get the conversion.

Again, a few years ago DPR provided pretty compelling evidence that NR was being applied by Canon and Nikon for higher iso's, but as I recall it was decently done (except for the fact that they weren't honest about it).
02-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@tax - As a long time Darktable user, I can tell you it lacks any kind of PS decode functionality. You are probably thinking of Rawtherapee which has excellent PS tools. However, all tools may have to be redone to handle the new Dynamic Pixel Shift.
02-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #73
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@tax - As a long time Darktable user, I can tell you it lacks any kind of PS decode functionality. You are probably thinking of Rawtherapee which has excellent PS tools. However, all tools may have to be redone to handle the new Dynamic Pixel Shift.
Sorry for the confusion, my bad. I use Darktable and RawTherapee interchangeably, so these applications kind of merged into one in my brain.
For simple post processing I use Darktable and for more complex stuff I use RawTherapee. These OpenSource applications perfectly complement each other on my Linux laptop. I only wish they could read each other's xmp. and .pp3 sidecar files. May the Source be with you :-)
03-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

going to send it

I will upgrade mine when it comes, i just wish I could also send them my K20D and they would upgrade it to a K-1 mkII
03-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Preordered K-1II and keeping K-1. I’m selling the KP and all my DA lenses except the 35 Macro.

Change of plans. Canceled the order for the K-1ll and I’m keeping the KP and DA lenses.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-01-2018 at 09:04 AM.