Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onefunmudder Quote
Thanks Bob,

It wasn't my plan to push any ones buttons on here. Its just that I have read and heard so much negativity against Pentax which I have been a fan for years. I am wanting to upgrade and want the best for my money. I am on a quest for definitive answers and not trying to upset the apple cart. I was only looking for real consumer answers to my questions to persuade my decision.

Thanks
Fred
No buttons pushed Fred and I understand your goal. I just wanted to say (a bit tongue in cheek) that this isn't the best place to make a statement like "negativity toward Pentax". Some people here are almost physically attached to their Pentax product and consider such phrases as a threat to their children.

But we all hear you. Perhaps you need to re frame your inquiry and pick some specific cameras, features, or concerns and let them fly, as members would be happy to give you feedback. Everyone could probably come up with a point Pentax could improve on in a given lens or camera if the discussion centers around that product and that would give you what you're looking for.

In the end, we have to look at the pluses and minuses and see if any are dealmakers or dealbreakers but you need someone who is familiar with a product to get that info and this is a great place for that.

03-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm bewildered why someone elses opinion about your camera is more important to you than your own? If you have everything you need to take photos than you just enjoy shooting, if you have not then find a system that has it and enjoy it.
03-05-2018, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
I'm bewildered why someone elses opinion about your camera is more important to you than your own? . . .
obviously I cannot answer for the OP but

as for me, some times I am looking for reassurance that I made the right choice when I seek the opinions of others about my gear
03-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
I'm bewildered why someone elses opinion about your camera is more important to you than your own? If you have everything you need to take photos than you just enjoy shooting, if you have not then find a system that has it and enjoy it.
I don't care what someone thinks about the equipment that I have or that I use. I was trying to get some information from K1 users as how the camera was performing, have they found it true about to few of lenses.

Fred

03-05-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't care what someone thinks about the equipment that I have or that I use. I was trying to get some information from K1 users as how the camera was performing, have they found it true about to few of lenses.

Fred
I don't own the K 1 but based on its reviews on the forum

any Pentax K lens will work on it

some of the Pentax K lenses designed for digital - DA series will only work well with the K 1's crop mode, other DA lenses may work with the normal mode

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
03-05-2018, 10:44 AM - 4 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was trying to get some information from K1 users as how the camera was performing, have they found it true about to few of lenses.
Fred
Currently available new FF (not including legacy lenses or crop sensor lenses that have been proven to work fine on FF):

Nikon: 234
Canon: 207
Sony: 70
Pentax: 60

Yes, there is room for improvement and yes, you have more options with Canikon, but a photographer that finds 60 as too little is missing something else.

I've shot Pentax 645 for decades and the currently available 16 has not been a factor causing me from changing to, for example, Hasselblad with their 25 lenses. Fujifilm, which has been getting a lot of buzz, only has six. Now that would be a concern for me, but in truth, I only own six Pentax 645 lenses and only use two on a regular basis.
03-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I don't own the K 1 but based on its reviews on the forum

any Pentax K lens will work on it

some of the Pentax K lenses designed for digital - DA series will only work well with the K 1's crop mode, other DA lenses may work with the normal mode

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
Thank you for the links,

Fred

03-05-2018, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

I've used/owned Pentax cameras since Feb, '68. But I've also used/owned other camera makes in the past 5 decades. Mamiya medium format, Leica Range Finder, Zeiss Super Ikonta, Canon, Olympus, Yashicamat, Panasonic etc. Still do. They're all good cameras, but in the main, Pentax both in film and digital have always been my prime system.

I like the reliability, durability, ergonomics, lenses, camera bodies and most of all the images that I've got from my Pentax equipment. When I went into digital in 2005 (I think ) I got a small Panasonic. It was ok and it served it's purpose, which was to try out digital and see if this new format for me, was for me.

I liked digital, but wanted a DSLR. I looked at the ist D and it didn't appeal to me. I tried out the Canon 20D, the Nikon...but I didn't like the ergonomics. At this point I didn't know whether I would stay with Pentax or make the break and go with another brand.

I liked the Nikon D200. But then the Pentax K10D came out, I read about it, checked it out at the local camera store. It really appealed to me, I bought one with a Pentax 16-45 lens. Then got a 55-300.

I've stuck with Pentax and kept on buying Pentax gear. Km, K5, K-1 bodies...all sorts of Pentax digital lenses. I've been pleased with the equipment, pleased with the images.

Do I worry about whether Pentax will stay in business. Sometimes yes, but they seem to continue to bring out really good equipment, even if I can't figure out their marketing strategy. It's low key, kind of like Pentax cameras/lenses. Low key but really good stuff.

Back in the mid '70's , when I only had one Pentax body (S1a) and a couple of lenses, I almost bought a Nikon F Photomic body and Nikkor 50mm F 1.4 lens. I hemmed and hawed, then decided on getting a Pentax ES ll, which I still have...and still like.

Photography is a passion of mine, I love few things better than walking around with one of my Pentax bodies/lenses and snapping away. Mostly it's a singular pursuit as although I do photography with others, I find I concentrate much better on the business of producing images when I'm alone .

Pentax equipment have generally been my favoured photography tool of choice.

Don't know if my ramblings helped, but your thread triggered me to look back and analyze what I like about photography and the equipment I prefer to use. So thank you, OP for that opportunity.

Also good luck with your decision...most of us have been there doing the same thing. Should I or shouldn't I...kind of deal. In the end I believe you'll come up with the right decision for you.
03-05-2018, 03:37 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The original poster is worried there might not be enough lenses for the K-1

Of the options currently available to purchase brand new, I have the following:

Samyang 12/2.8 fisheye (it's manual focus and not made by Pentax, but the IQ is great)
DFA 15-30/2.8 (Tamron design with a Pentax flourish - at least the equal of the Big Boys' ultrawide zooms)
DFA 24-70/2.8 (likewise)
DFA 28-105/3.5-5.6 (possibly the best kit zoom out there)
FA 31/1.8 limited (fast wide angle of almost mythical status)
Sigma 35/1.4 Art (super-sharp no-compromise modern wide angle)
FA43/1.9 limited (character-laden ultra-compact true normal)
DA* 55/1.4 (99% full frame, and all of that 99% is glorious)
FA 77/1.8 limited (one of the greatest portrait lenses ever designed)
DFA 100/2.8 macro WR (super-compact, high quality 1:1 macro)
DFA* 70-200/2.8 (top-notch modern hero zoom)
DA* 300/4.0 (officially FF compatible and just remarkable optically)

I also have highly regarded legacy primes covering 20/2.8, 24/2.0, 28/2.8, 50/1.2 and 85/1.4. There are of course many dozens of others in the second hand marketplace.

The DFA* 50/1.4 is about to hit the market, and Pentax has a star quality 85/1.4 and fast wide prime roadmapped, as well as a fisheye zoom and a couple of telezooms.

If I were heavily into wildlife, and willing to carry the bulk and weight, I could also have the superb DFA 150-450/4.0-5.6 and DA 560/5.6. But I'm not.

There are numerous third party lenses from Samyang/Rokinon, Irix, Venus and Laowa, including weather sealed ultra-wide angles, a tilt/shift wide angle, and super fast portrait primes.

I consider Pentax shooters to be spoiled for choice
03-05-2018, 03:41 PM - 3 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

I am a fanboy of the Pentax K-1, I have to admit it. To my eyes, K-1 is the most clever DSLR FF OVF camera ever made for photographers... I do not use Pentax lenses but I tried some of them before I bought the K-1 for my leica-R lenses. The 15-30/2.8 is fantastic, the 24-70/2.8 excellent (but I prefer the rendering of the 15-30) and the last 70-200/2.8 excellent too... What else?
The best way to use your gear today IMHO, is to buy excellent vario lenses and some primes for very specific considerations (focal length, aperture of 1:1.4, macro lenses for example...). Pentax has got all of them even if pentaxians still wait for new HD lenses.. I am talking about photography, not about video. I am also a fan of manual focusing, so I do not mind about autofocus, not at all. And I can make sport action photos without any problem...
I bought K-1 not because it is the greatest camera in terms of specifcations but just according to my needs: a compromise between great resolution and the manner in which the camera manages the digital noise with the best iso-variance on the market that makes the best DSLR camera to my eyes, even today... Dynamic, fine gradation between shadows and highlights, the quality of pentaprism (excellent), the clever design of the mirror and his astonishing vibrations absorption, his grip, strong feeling of robustness, IBIS/SR, Pixel Shift resolution...
People says that K-1 is out of the race but no one describes Leica (Three times more expensive) with Leica SL and two vario lenses until now. Leica users were waiting in the wings for SL 50, SL 75 and SL90 for years and nobody complained about it... Because Leica SL is compatible with M-lenses, R-lenses, T-lenses and other brands via (very expensive) adapters?! In fact, Leica SL buyers just used SL vario 24-90 & 90-280 lenses... waiting for SL primes.
Pentaxians are not competing with Canikon. Canon is in the arms race with Nikon and vice versa, but what about Pentax? Ricoh just thinks for the best clever toy for photographers, that's all... And when you are not dependent on a trademark (as I am), you can tell the truth. I can't get rid of my leica-R lenses, with their strength and their weakness, with their pros and cons, but because of it, I feel more impartial, objective and able to speak freely. Because I can switch from a brand to another without mercy to fit with my Leica-R lenses...
Do not buy a camera on the paper, go and try it. Pentax K-1 is a gorgeous camera, no doubt, and I love playing with it...

Last edited by teiki arii; 03-05-2018 at 03:47 PM.
03-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
I stretched my budget just to get the K-70. Trust me I would have gone with the K-1 if that was possible, even though the K-1 is much more camera than I'll ever need.
You made a great decision too IMHO as it has some of the best image capabilities of any Pentax camera this side of the K-1...
and for the price of of far less capable entry models from the competition. But then I am a bit prejudiced.

---------- Post added 03-05-18 at 06:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Currently available new FF (not including legacy lenses or crop sensor lenses that have been proven to work fine on FF):

Nikon: 234
Canon: 207
Sony: 70
Pentax: 60

Yes, there is room for improvement and yes, you have more options with Canikon, but a photographer that finds 60 as too little is missing something else.

I've shot Pentax 645 for decades and the currently available 16 has not been a factor causing me from changing to, for example, Hasselblad with their 25 lenses. Fujifilm, which has been getting a lot of buzz, only has six. Now that would be a concern for me, but in truth, I only own six Pentax 645 lenses and only use two on a regular basis.
That's a wonderful point of view, one that I hadn't actually considered until you mentioned it.
03-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #42
Veteran Member

pentax is notorious for not advertising anything.
they are also very notorious for not updating their social media.
all other brands are very active with social media and advertisement. pentax on the other hand thinks it wont help for whatever reason.

they just stay in the background where they seem to be happy for it.

pentax has a superior weather sealing that will put sony and canon and nikon to shame. the world doesn't know that as pentax refuses to advertise it.

Last edited by hadi; 03-05-2018 at 05:57 PM.
03-05-2018, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
pentax is notorious for not advertising anything.
they are also very notorious for not updating their social media.
?

Ricoh Imaging - Home | Facebook

RICOH IMAGING (@PENTAXIAN) on Twitter

Ricoh Imaging (@ricohpentax) ? Instagram photos and videos
03-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #44
Veteran Member

that is fine. but there is nothing on their youtube channel. if someone wants to learn more about pentax, its not from the official youtube page, but from fans using pentax and reviewing, or some other camera store.
last update was a few years ago. as a result, people dont look at pentax.
they dont advertise on tv ads.
they dont advertise in magazines (none that i've come across so far at least)
they dont advertise on B&H or other camera companies
they dont advertise by having photography sessions like sony, or canon etc.
they dont advertise using billboards (not in canada at least)
they just dont advertise. ever.
03-05-2018, 06:49 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
that is fine. but there is nothing on their youtube channel. if someone wants to learn more about pentax, its not from the official youtube page, but from fans using pentax and reviewing, or some other camera store.
last update was a few years ago. as a result, people dont look at pentax.
they dont advertise on tv ads.
they dont advertise in magazines (none that i've come across so far at least)
they dont advertise on B&H or other camera companies
they dont advertise by having photography sessions like sony, or canon etc.
they dont advertise using billboards (not in canada at least)
they just dont advertise. ever.
Niche brands (and Pentax is one of them) don't try to match Canon or Nikon, Hadi, it makes very little sense.

If you spend just one million dollars in advertising - doesn't get you much - in a country where you sell 10,000 cameras annually, congratulations, you've just lifted the price to all those customers by $100. For an uncertain increase in that 10,000 number, perhaps almost nothing.

Instead of attracting people to the brand, you've actually hurt the existing figures.

If you currently sell 100,000 cameras annually in that market, the maths changes in your favour.

You said social media, I suggest you actually follow their social media before you say "hey are also very notorious for not updating their social media."

There is *plenty* there, including from Pentax ambassadors who don't involve themselves in this forum for (quite frankly) understandable reasons.