Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Questions I looked around, but came up with more questions.

Hi,

I have the K-3ii now. I primarily use the kit lens.
If I get my daughter to sit for a second I'll use an FA 50 1.4.

How big and clunky is that kit lens on the K-1.
I would consider getting the K-1ii then sellling my K-3.

I would say 80 percent of our life is gopro only.
19.5 percent gopro in left hand, use the right to
snap an action shot for the yearly book.

0.5 percent portrait. 5 years ago it was exactly the opposite.

I know the light gathering on the K-1 is a squared term.
I have seen that as problematic sinice I had the *DST.

So an advantage there. I assume that advantage goes away
if I use the crop mode.

That kit lens seems super huge. That is why I will be putting my fixed SDM lens
for sale soon. I can't run and jump with it.

I'm not sure if I explained well.

My concern is I drop the bucks on the K-1ii and find out I use it once or twice a year for
birthday and spring photo shoot. Then the rest of the time it is a K-3.

Your thoughts?

I am not in a hurry to upgrade.

THANKS

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 04:29 PM ----------

I also assume I have to crop the flat 40 mm redline lens. Which makes it useless. I like using that one a lot.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-19-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Selling notifications in Marketplace only - thanks :)
03-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a standard response so here I go again

since you live in the US, you have the opportunity to spend $ and get a hands on trial of the equipment you want

if you didn't know it, there are companies that will rent you equipment.

I am not sure how many there may be but I know that

one is borrowlenses.com

another is lensrentals.com which is the one I have used before

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

it ships the items to your home or a Fed Ex locale of your choice, you use it and then return it to them

I recommend getting the highest " protection " program they sell just to be safe

they are now taking "pre release" reservations for the K 1 II

have fun

be advised that once you rent something, you may develop the urge to buy the equipment
03-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why do you want a K-1? For your stated purposes, unless I read it wrong, the K-3 seems a better camera. The K-1 is an outstanding field camera. Sunrise / sunset landscape photos. There is nothing better out there. But for quick shots for the yearly book, stay with the K-3.
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I also assume I have to crop the flat 40 mm redline lens.
If you mean the DA 40mm limited, then it will work fine on the K-1. It vignettes a little but not enough to be objectionable most of the time.
03-19-2018, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you considered KP? Fraction of cost (and size and weight of K-1, image accelerator unit based on the one from KP is used in K-1 II.

03-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
By the kit lens I take it you mean the FA 28-105mm. I don't have that lens but I do have the similarly mid-range FA 24-70mm F2.8, compared with which the 28-105 is a mere lightweight. The FA 24-70mm F2.8 is is getting on for twice its weight, but I still take it on long country walks. It depends on what you are prepared to tolerate.
03-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nothing you wrote says to me you should buy a k1 .... Doesn't sound like it would be worth the money for you. I agree that the more compact KP would be worth considering as you would find it more convenient to grab and take out to use. Based on your description of how you take photos and approach things then it seems unlikely that a camera upgrade would actually result in better quality photos
03-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 50 1.4. Diam x Length 65 x 37 mm (2.5 x 1.5 in.) Weight 220 g (7.8 oz.)

Read more at: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

How big and clunky is that kit lens on the K-1. Size (W x H x D)136.5 x 110.0 x 85.5 mm Weight 925g (1010 with battery and SD cards

Read more at: Pentax K-1 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

[/COLOR]I also assume I have to crop the flat 40 mm redline lens. Which makes it useless. I like using that one a lot.
Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

for info on size and weight of

FA 28-105mm. FA 24-70mm F2.8,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Zoom-Lenses-c44.html

I hope that this might help the OP

I have no personal experience with the K 1, I use the K 3 and K 3 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2018 at 12:32 AM.
03-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Nigel, what you wrote doesn’t seem to require a K-1 and there are downsides in size, weight, usability, cost and reach.

Think carefully about laying down the money, and distinguish between what you need and what you want. If you have the money spare then why not - but beware the ‘upgrade’ snare as there’s no such thing. Larger sensor, more megapixellage yes, but bigger and heavier, more exacting to use and less reach with long lenses. Pros and cons. It’s like saying that a S class Mercedes is an upgrade from the C class; it’s not. Bigger, more powerful, more comfortable yes, but less fuel-economical, more difficult to park and more expensive to service. Pros and cons.

At the end of the day it’s what works for you. If your K-3 is fit for its purpose for you then a K-1 will be no upgrade. This is why changing to a K-1 (or any 35mm format camera) has never featured for a millisecond for me, because for what I do, APS-c fits the bill - and because of your GoPro usage it sounds like I take more pictures with it than you do.

So for me it’s Need vs Want. If you need it for what you do, then go for it, otherwise you’ll be spending a lot of money and may not see much of a difference in the output unless you print very large (certainly not if like me, your photo viewing is 99.9% on a computer monitor).

As in the Mercedes analogy, YMMV!
03-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi,

I have the K-3ii now. I primarily use the kit lens.
If I get my daughter to sit for a second I'll use an FA 50 1.4.

I would consider getting the K-1ii then sellling my K-3.

I would say 80 percent of our life is gopro only.
19.5 percent gopro in left hand, use the right to
snap an action shot for the yearly book.

0.5 percent portrait. 5 years ago it was exactly the opposite.

I know the light gathering on the K-1 is a squared term.
I have seen that as problematic sinice I had the *DST.

So an advantage there. I assume that advantage goes away
if I use the crop mode.

That kit lens seems super huge. That is why I will be putting my fixed SDM lens
for sale soon. I can't run and jump with it.

I'm not sure if I explained well.

My concern is I drop the bucks on the K-1ii and find out I use it once or twice a year for
birthday and spring photo shoot. Then the rest of the time it is a K-3.

Your thoughts?

I am not in a hurry to upgrade.

THANKS

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 04:29 PM ----------

I also assume I have to crop the flat 40 mm redline lens. Which makes it useless. I like using that one a lot.

I think other people have said it well. Everyone thinks of a full frame camera as an end all be all, but some are actually quite dissapointed when making the switch because it is not all that they thought it would be. Are full frame cameras great, especially in low light, they very much are, excellent in low light, excellent image quality. So are apsc cameras with a fast lens. The part that makes a difference in a larger sensor is if you are taxing the sensor to where its not able to handle the lights and the darks( ie noise, blown highlights, shadow recovery, etc), the compression factor, huge prints, the transition between in/out of focus. From my use between different formats, especially between the k3 and k1, i find that you can get almost identical images between the 2. The k1 though had better highlight/shadow recovery, great image quality, smooth in/out of focus, and a better feel grip cause of it being a slightly taller camera. The k3 is still a remarkable camera, better framerate, lighter and easier to carry, great resolution, and unless shooting in locations where you have high dynamic range you might not see that much of a difference really.

My suggestion is either a better lens, or if you have the camera bug one of the newer crop bodies. Also borrowlenses is a great resource if you are curious on how other cameras or lenses are.

03-20-2018, 02:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
My suggestion is either a better lens, or if you have the camera bug one of the newer crop bodies. Also borrowlenses is a great resource if you are curious on how other cameras or lenses are.
Absolutely. A wise man on this (or possibly another) forum said that you should find the lens that you love, and then put a body on it that will work to get the best out of it. That's what happened to me when I got the 20-40; it was on my K-5 but improved even further when it went on the K-3II.