Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 01:36 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

K1 stabilisation - really awesome!

I am constantly amazed at how good this is.

Today I went up in a light aircraft and took some pics. Bad light, but most importantly really turbulent when flying at ~2000ft over some 800ft hills with a 40kt wind flowing over them. I could barely hold the camera in one hand as I was being chucked around.

This is a 1:1 piece of a frame taken with the Pentax 24-70, 70mm zoom, TAV mode, f2.8 1/1000 resulting in ISO 640.

And this isn't just one lucky shot. ALL of about 50 shots taken on that flight are this sharp!

03-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice! I did a flight two or three years ago, things weren't that turbulent. Even then, shake was a real concern. Nice results!

I hope you didn't get motion sick. I nearly turned green at one point, looking through a viewfinder for too long out the side of a Cessna.
03-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would have been cool to take a couple with SR off to show the effect - with the high shutter speed used it is harder to know what you would have gotten. I do in fact turn green. Generally making it out OK but very very unhappy. I take medicine to combat that kind of motion sickness due to an overly sensitive equilibrium.
03-19-2018, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Without stabilisation there would not have been a picture... If you do this with a phone, even a modern like like my Samsung S7 which has "stabilisation", most frames on a day like this would be scrap. At 1:1 on a K1 size image, 1/1000 doesn't help much because the shutter still takes 1/200 or so to move along. It isn't a global shutter with a 1ms open time.

Previously I had a K3 and a K5 before and they were nothing like as good as the K1.

The turbulence doesn't affect me; I've got 2500hrs over 18 years. It would affect me if I was looking down on the floor, for example. But also it isn't the nauseous slow up/down movement of a boat.