Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

rokinon lenses scratching k1?

so i just got a sigma 85mm 1.4 without the adjusted mount. so i was expecting the lens to scratch my camera. yet when i was bracing and cringing at the thought of scratching my camera, i realized that my camera already has that scratch.

the culprit, the rokinon 85mm 1.4 lens. i remember when i first got it and threw it on my k5, it was a VERY tight fit. after a few attempts, it fit on just fine.

same goes for my k1. it was a very tight fit the first few times i threw it on. but after that it adjusted perfectly.

the sigma seems to be a just a hair away from the scratch, so the rokinon lens seems to dig deeper.

i searched around and seems like no one else has noticed this. maybe my rokinon copy was weird? or maybe the scratch is so minimal that no one bother mentioning it?

03-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any pics of the damage?
03-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
any pics of the damage?
ill try getting pics in the next few days. its a very minor scratch, almost not worth mentioning.

at least to me its not a big deal. but i know there are others who will leave their stickers on the camera and keep it in as pristine a condition as possible.
03-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
ill try getting pics in the next few days. its a very minor scratch, almost not worth mentioning.

at least to me its not a big deal. but i know there are others who will leave their stickers on the camera and keep it in as pristine a condition as possible.
Photos of the scratch with the Rokinon 85/1.4 mounted would be helpful. If there is a problem with this lens model, your's may well be the first report.

Steve

03-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the 12, 14, 50 and 85..Never had any issues on K-1..hmm
03-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The camera itself has an indentation there that could be mistaken for a scratch if you never noticed it before.
03-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If there is a problem, I will be curious how Rokinon responds.

I have my doubts that they will respond like Sigma did - ie promptly offer to modify the mount of Sigma K-1 'scratcher' lenses for free.

03-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problem here with my K-1 and Rokinon 85 1.4.
03-22-2018, 05:03 AM   #9

If the aforementioned lens looks like this one here

it's extremely unlikely that it creates the same problems as some Sigma lenses did.

The diameter of the bayonet mount is far to small for that to happen. It's not larger than on original Pentax lenses.

Image Source: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/247807-sale-sold-rokinon-8...tax-mount.html

Last edited by funktionsfrei; 03-22-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Addendum
03-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*FALSE ALARM!*
so i looked closer at the rokinon lens, and it still fits VERY tightly onto the k1 body.
but the body of the lens is still a few mm away from the body of the camera. so that scratch is not caused by the rokinon lens.

so as someone mentioned above, it seems like the k1 comes with a lil groove by default that can look like a scratch?

its still odd that comparing to all my other lenses, the rokinon 85 mm fits the tightest.
03-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

so as someone mentioned above, it seems like the k1 comes with a lil groove by default that can look like a scratch?
The groove is weird; it would seem to imply that some Pentax lenses would have impacted the Pentaprism if the groove hadn't been there.
03-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

wonder if the groove is a "manufacturing adjustment"?
Is is present in early models? or did they change the CNC code to cut out a tiny groove there after hearing of complaints.
It's definitely not unheard of for manufacturers to make slight adjustments like this without saying anything.
03-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #13

There is a quite prominent groove which has been present from the first day on.

This groove is slightly below the white LED that illuminates the lens.

But neither this groove nor the sigma-related scratches are in any way part of the problem with that specific lens here.
03-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, there is a cut-out, but it really doesn't look like a scratch.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The groove is weird; it would seem to imply that some Pentax lenses would have impacted the Pentaprism if the groove hadn't been there.
Such is usually the case. My K-3 is sculpted out for clearance as are several of my film cameras going back decades.

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
wonder if the groove is a "manufacturing adjustment"?
Nope...

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
There is a quite prominent groove which has been present from the first day on.
What they said ^ ^ ^

There is nothing mysterious about the groove. The OP was mistaken and a thread summary goes like this
  • There was no scratch
  • There is a sculpted cut-out on the K-1
  • The Rokinon 85/1.4 has plenty of clearance on the K-1 and other K-mount bodies. It has extremely low likelihood of interference due to the mount area being very constrained.
  • The cut-out on the K-1 is probably intentional and is a feature found on many different cameras from multiple makers
I might add that Samyang lenses tend to fit snugly, but that is no indication of incompatibility. I have a few Pentax lenses with similar fit characteristics.

Steve
03-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
But neither this groove nor the sigma-related scratches are in any way part of the problem with that specific lens here.
Yes, all one needs to do is compare the photos showing the Sigma clearance problems with a mounted Rokinon to rule out problems with the Samyang product.

Steve