Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens corrections-In camera or in Lightroom

Which is the best place to use Lens correction. In the camera or fix it in post production???

03-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have wondered about this too.
03-24-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you intend to do a reasonable amount of PP work on your pictures you will do better shooting in raw. Lens corrections will then be part of the PP process.
03-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If the same lens profiles are used to correct distortion, falloff, etc. etc. then there really shouldn't be any difference.

It's all just ones and zeros being pushed around.

While there are some things best left for post-processing, with a powerful desktop computer doing more complicated and time consuming math than the in-camera processor would be allowed to do, lens corrections ought to be nearly identical, especially if those profiles are worked up by the lens manufacturer.

03-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
If the same lens profiles are used to correct distortion, falloff, etc. etc. then there really shouldn't be any difference.

It's all just ones and zeros being pushed around.

While there are some things best left for post-processing, with a powerful desktop computer doing more complicated and time consuming math than the in-camera processor would be allowed to do, lens corrections ought to be nearly identical, especially if those profiles are worked up by the lens manufacturer.
*Are* the same lens profiles used? I thought software makers created their own lens profiles.
03-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually shoot RAW+ and enable Lens corrections in camera and then post process in LR where I experiment with LR lens correction. The lens corrections for Pentax lenses are clearly different in many cases in LR than those provided by Pentax for the limited number of lenses that are supported. An example is the "correction" for the DA 10-17 fisheye zoom in LR. This essentially defishes the zoom in an to attempt to render it more rectilinear. Pentax lens corrections in camera are not applicable to the DA 10-17. In general, I find that the in camera lens corrections are a useful template for subsequent adjustment in LR. I do agree that the lens corrections take time and slow processing of images and if speed is an important part of your workflow, you can turn off corrections and still end up with a well corrected image. I often find that turning of the corrections gives a more satisfying image than retaining them. YMMV.
03-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Docbot Quote
Which is the best place to use Lens correction. In the camera or fix it in post production???
Generally-speaking I would say post. In raw you don't have a choice of course.

In JPEG mode, distortion correction (only) adds a second or two of processing time per frame, and must be done before the file is saved, which means that the camera locks up while shooting bursts, and also that the framerate and buffer capacity decreases.

That said, when I want quick shots straight out of camera, I usually keep all the corrections on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #8

Well, in-camera lens correction works for just the few lenses that come with embedded lens correction profiles.

For the majority of lenses out there, that won't help.

LR on the other hand uses lens correction profiles you can create yourself, using the lens profile generator. You have to print a specific test target and take a certain amount of images of that target with the lens you want to profile.

The result is an individual profile of the individual lens you've used, not a generic one-size-fits-all profile that is incapable of compensating for variations across individual copies of lenses.

Thus such a profile is to be preferred to the profiles that come with LR, given, of course, that you've been meticulous when creating the profile.
03-24-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Well, in-camera lens correction works for just the few lenses that come with embedded lens correction profiles.
For the majority of lenses out there, that won't help.
The K-1 in-camera lens correction supports all DA and D FA lenses, all FA* / FA Limited lenses and the FA 28mm 2.8, FA 35mm 2.0 & FA 50mm 1.4.
Summed up this are 52 (35+17) lenses. That's as much as all Fuji X-mount and Samsung NX lenses together. Your definition of few seems strange.

03-24-2018, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I use LR for the simple fact that 80% of the time, I actually prefer the uncorrected shot.
03-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

in camera slows down the camera too much, and you have more control in post
03-29-2018, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
in camera slows down the camera too much, and you have more control in post
Not if you capture DNG and develop them after the shooting in the camera. Control over lens correction should be greater in-camera than using LR.
03-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

if you apply lens corrections in dng, it uses more processing power than if not, no?
03-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
if you apply lens corrections in dng, it uses more processing power than if not, no?
If you deactivate all corrections during shooting and use them only during development for all files or a whole folder when develop them in camera after a shooting, it wouldn't matter.