Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No JPEGs

TerryL posted today about image files not showing up on his SD card. After reading his post and lending a reply, I went to my K-1 this evening to attempt a transfer of two folders worth of photos shot in the last two days to my laptop. To my chagrin, card 1 had the DNG files but card 2 did not show any folders for those two days. I was shooting in DNG+ mode and the last time I shot, both DNG and JPEGs were produced on the corresponding cards. I tried one test shot after this and it showed up on card #2 as a JPEG in a folder with today's date, but the other two groups (one of which should be in a folder with today's date) just don't show.

I didn't want to hijack Terry's thread so decided to start this one. At this point I'm stumped. I'd like to recover the JPEGs if possible since converting the DNGs will take some doing (I need JPEGS to distribute to another party). Is there an in-camera way to create these from the DNGs as a group?

The shots show up on the LCD review but I assume these are coming from card #1 (if I remove that card, the recent images are gone).

My only possible thought is that while editing some of the other shots on the JPEG card (#2), I accidentally pulled it out of the card slot on my computer without ejecting one time, but why would that only affect the last two folders on that card? My other thought is that the last time I had the card out of my K-1, it didn't go back in properly (it was seated correctly as far as I could tell when I removed it this time) and wasn't making the necessary connections to be written to. Otherwise no theories.

Any thoughts appreciated. I kidded Terry about jinxing me

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-25-2018 at 08:15 PM.
03-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
TerryL posted today about image files not showing up on his SD card. After reading his post and lending a reply, I went to my K-1 this evening to attempt a transfer of two folders worth of photos shot in the last two days to my laptop. To my chagrin, card 1 had the DNG files but card 2 did not show any folders for those two days. I was shooting in DNG+ mode and the last time I shot, both DNG and JPEGs were produced on the corresponding cards. I tried one test shot after this and it showed up on card #2 as a JPEG in a folder with today's date, but the other two groups (one of which should be in a folder with today's date) just don't show.

I didn't want to hijack Terry's thread so decided to start this one. At this point I'm stumped. I'd like to recover the JPEGs if possible since converting the DNGs will take some doing (I need JPEGS to distribute to another party). Is there an in-camera way to create these from the DNGs as a group?

The shots show up on the LCD review but I assume these are coming from card #1 (if I remove that card, the recent images are gone).

My only possible thought is that while editing some of the other shots on the JPEG card (#2), I accidentally pulled it out of the card slot on my computer without ejecting one time, but why would that only affect the last two folders on that card? My other thought is that the last time I had the card out of my K-1, it didn't go back in properly (it was seated correctly as far as I could tell when I removed it this time) and wasn't making the necessary connections to be written to. Otherwise no theories.

Any thoughts appreciated. I kidded Terry about jinxing me
Yes, if you mass delete files, or delete a single one, there is an option to delete either the JPEG, the raw, or both. There could also have been a corruption issue with one of the cards, but the former is more likely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2018, 08:42 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's simpler than that Adam (thanks for the reply), and it has to do with memory corruption - mine. I guess senility is setting in for sure.

I went back to my laptop with SD card#1 to save the DNG files since I really didn't want to lose those, they're being my only copies (so I thought). When I went to transfer them, I found the folders already on my laptop and then it came back to me in a flash (kind of like looking into headlights). The first thing I did this morning was transfer the last two day's JPEGs to my laptop before I started editing card#2. In that process, I had inadvertently used CUT instead of COPY. Then about a six hour transition later (and TerryL's post), I forgot I had moved them (and wiped out the originals since I used CUT) so NATURALLY they weren't there on card #2 - Computer science 101 (which I got an A in but now should get an F).

I don't think this will help TerryL, but it sure helps me now that I have those JPEGs to distribute. Just don't give me a gun or I might shoot it pointing the wrong way (and you can take that with two different meanings)

Rack this one up for dumbest of the year!
03-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't beat yourself up Bob. We all do it, but usually don't have to discuss it in public--whew. Glad it worked out OK in the end!

03-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not everyone has your humour and grace about their user error, Bob - you're to be applauded.

03-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's good news that you found your files!

I've had similar frightening/dumb episodes of personal memory loss leading to image data loss that led me to change how I handle cards to minimize the chance that of stupid computer or stupid human issues.

Now, I always lock the card before sticking it in the computer's card reader. If the computer cannot write anything to the card, it can't corrupt it, or accidentally delete files from it.

If at all possible, I stick the locked card (still with all the images in it) in the bottom of my stack of cards. When that card comes back to the top (which might be weeks or months after I used the card), I doublecheck the contents of the card against the files on the computer before unlocking the card, putting it in the camera, and reformatting it.

Usually there's enough time between putting the card at the bottom of the stack and it coming back to the top that I will have reviewed all the images and the computer will have made back-ups of the files.

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-26-2018 at 06:33 AM.
03-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Rack this one up for dumbest of the year!
Bob, it's only March. I'm betting this won't even be in the top 3 for the forum by the end of August.

03-26-2018, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Bob, it's only March. I'm betting this won't even be in the top 3 for the forum by the end of August.
I'm just chalking it up to an early April 1st joke played on myself. All's well this morning and the sun is coming up just like it usually does.