Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Tiny circular movement between body and lens when mounted

Hello,

I am wondering if your k1 have a little movement as mine when the lens is mounted. Is almos imperceptible, but I'm wondering if it my camera and I have to send it to be checked because my warranty expires in 3 days.

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro Boscoboinik

03-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes that should be normal, especially with a non-WR lens, which has just the bayonet holding it in place. Long as the play is minimal, you're fine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Post a video if you are worried so others can validate what you mean.
03-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Post a video if you are worried so others can validate what you mean.
First, thanks for the prompt reply,
I would love to do it, and I was thinking into it. However, I would have to mount the camera in a tripod, use a macro lens and do and do a good job with the angle and light. It is something that you can fill and describe for sure but hard to even visualize with a naked eye. Just by holding the camera and the lens near the mounting area, and twisting being safe of not putting too much force, I can feel it. It is not that I was paranoid when I realize it, I got a Pentax 150-450mm lens and as it was very heavy I was thinking I will have to hold the camera sometimes from the lens, so I checked that the heavy lens does not present any play that could get worse with use, and there it was, a minimal playing that then I checked and it is present with all the lenses I have, which are 3.

I think it is important, before I send it to the service center which the Pentax representatives advised me, to check with a great community like this one.

The representative told me he checked with a technician in a k1 and they didn't notice any movement. The service authorized service center they provide me was Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair. I was thinking into go to a store and check by myself, however if there are others over there maybe they have this clarified already.

What do you think? Is it normal? If yes Is it ok to manipulate the camera with the 150-450mm lens from the mounting plate attached to the telephoto lens?

Thank you, and I hope this helps future people,
Best regards,
Alejandro

03-27-2018, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #5

If you mean you can slightly twist the lens while locked in the mount a tiny movement is to be expected due to the tolerances between the locking pin and lock opening on the lens mount. This shouldn't be more than a small fraction of a millimeter. This will differ from individual lens to lens. If the mount on the camera is moving with the lens then the anchor screws probably need tightening. If the movement seems excessive on all your lenses then it probably needs service.
03-27-2018, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Alejandro,
I use the DFA 150-450 with a K-3 II and a K-1, and on both there is a very small amount of rotary movement of the lens on the mount. Nothing to worry about.
Regarding the weight of the lens, I always carry the combination by the tripod foot, as this ensures only the weight of the camera is carried by the mount.

Cheers,
Terry
03-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Hello Alejandro,
I use the DFA 150-450 with a K-3 II and a K-1, and on both there is a very small amount of rotary movement of the lens on the mount. Nothing to worry about.
Regarding the weight of the lens, I always carry the combination by the tripod foot, as this ensures only the weight of the camera is carried by the mount.

Cheers,
Terry
Thank you Terry,

Yes, as you mention it is a very small amount of rotary movement. Thanks a lot I will not send it and I'll start having fun and using my new lenses, the HD PENTAX D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW and the HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR. As I'm a student it was very difficult to save the money to purchase them. Now it’s time to play while learning and sharing!

Cheers,
Alejandro

03-28-2018, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Alejandro

As others have said, this is nothing to worry about. I think you would be amazed how good Pentax is in this respect... I also shoot Sony A-mount, and the amount of rotational movement with fitted lenses - and the ease with which that rotation happens - is much worse. But so long as there is no back and forth movement (i.e. so long as the lens and camera mount rings remain completely flat against each other), there is no problem
03-28-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you mean you can slightly twist the lens while locked in the mount a tiny movement is to be expected due to the tolerances between the locking pin and lock opening on the lens mount. This shouldn't be more than a small fraction of a millimeter. This will differ from individual lens to lens. If the mount on the camera is moving with the lens then the anchor screws probably need tightening. If the movement seems excessive on all your lenses then it probably needs service.
After some four months of use, I noticed the faintest of jiggles with the DFA 150-450mm on my KS-2. It required the slightest bit of tightening of the tiny mounting screws on both the camera and lens mount. Just about an eighth of a turn with a jeweller's screwdriver did it. I've not had the problem in two years since. The problem was only apparent when the DFA 150-450mm was mounted, no lightweight of a lens at a little over 5 pounds. It's not the first time I have seen this problem with the heavier super tele zooms. I experienced exactly the same thing with a Sigma 150-450mm years ago. The fix was the same.
Cheers
03-28-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for helping me to clarify this matter
03-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy Fern Quote
The problem was only apparent when the DFA 150-450mm was mounted, no lightweight of a lens at a little over 5 pounds. It's not the first time I have seen this problem with the heavier super tele zooms. I experienced exactly the same thing with a Sigma 150-450mm years ago. The fix was the same.
Cheers
Not to quibble but the DFA 150-450 is only 4.4lbs not over 5 - the thing is already a monster don't make it grow! LOL Maybe with a big Arca Swiss plate on it...
05-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #12

I own the K1 and since a week also the HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW. Here is my issue.

The slight 'normal' rotary movement is there, nothing to worry about i would think, but there is a very noticable play on the mount when i rotate the lens the fraction of a mil back (anti-clockwise) and hold the lens with one hand and the body with the other hand and very gently try to wiggle (hinge?) the both back and forth in opposite direction.
I even hear it make a slightly alarming sound. I also see the lens and body move separately.

I tried the same with the HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70 mm F2.8 ED SDM WR but accept for the rotary movement this lens sits solid like a rock.
I don't think it's the weight of the 70-200 that causes this problem as i hold both the lens and the body.

When i rotate the lens back clockwise (within the rotary tollerance) the issue does not seem to be there.
Any comments on this?

I find it a bit disturbing, although everything seems to function without any problems.
05-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

These WR and AW lenses have rubber ring there and its thickness may well vary a bit. When I had the 24-70 WR it rotated to both directions a bit when locked to place and minor force was applied when twisting back and forth. This phenomenon happens with all brands and lenses more or less. Only some are so tight that it causes more worries of mechanical issues due to huge friction - for example Zeiss Loxia 21mm mounted on a7R2 is so tight that person with slightly weak hands cannot mount the lens properly due to insufficient gripping area on the lens.
05-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #14
Unregistered User

Here is my take on the issue...

K-1 with DFA*70-200 or DFA150-450 Bad connection - PentaxForums.com
05-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #15

Problem solved, used a JIS-type driver to tighten cameramount (very gently and hardly noticable) and play and accompanying strange have gone.