Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

K1 and Using Vintage Lenses

I have a large collection of old Takumar's and Pentax-M Series Lenses and was considering buying the K1 or K1 Mark ii to start using them on a full frame Pentax Camera......my question is; How does the K1 handle these old vintage lenses?????

I am currently adapting them to Canon Camera's but would actually love to use a Pentax Camera instead, preferably the full-frame K1.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

03-30-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What exactly do you mean 'handle"? The mount is the same except for the Takumars you need the m42->K-mount adapter. $35 for the genuine one, $5 - 10 for a cheap knock off. Get the Pentax one it's worth the extra.

Here is a link to setting things up to work with all manual lenses: Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com Basically there is one setting that needs changed in the menu, after that it's just manual lenses.

I would hazard a large majority of forum members have a least a few legacy manual lenses.
03-30-2018, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you say adapted to Canon, did you alter the lenses in any way?
03-30-2018, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most of my shots with K-1 have been with takumars, k and m series glass. The good old lenses are still good.

Auto-takumar 55 2.2

M20 f4

K50 1.2

03-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When you say adapted to Canon, did you alter the lenses in any way?
No, I'm using Fotodiox K-Mount to EOS & M42 Mount to EOS adapters.

---------- Post added 03-30-18 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What exactly do you mean 'handle"? The mount is the same except for the Takumars you need the m42->K-mount adapter. $35 for the genuine one, $5 - 10 for a cheap knock off. Get the Pentax one it's worth the extra.

Here is a link to setting things up to work with all manual lenses: Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com Basically there is one setting that needs changed in the menu, after that it's just manual lenses.

I would hazard a large majority of forum members have a least a few legacy manual lenses.
Thanks

---------- Post added 03-30-18 at 11:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Most of my shots with K-1 have been with takumars, k and m series glass. The good old lenses are still good.

Auto-takumar 55 2.2

M20 f4

K50 1.2
This is great! I think I'm going to pre-order the Pentax K1 Mark 2. The images look great shooting these old lenses on my canon cameras but this K1 looks like a much better camera.
03-30-2018, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is another one. K-1 + Super-Tak 55/1.8 pretty close to wide open, ISO100. Modern lenses just do not have this bokeh.

03-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Here is another one. K-1 + Super-Tak 55/1.8 pretty close to wide open, ISO100. Modern lenses just do not have this bokeh.
I agree, I've almost always have an old Takumar or Pentax-M lens on my Canon 80D and the M42 mounts on my 6D, the images are just amazingly unique and almost always show a character most modern lenses lack.

I especially love the S-M-C Takumar 85mm f/1.8 and the SMC Pentax 85mm f/2. The bokeh on the SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.2 is quite amazing too......I also have several other great oldie but goodie lenses, I actually use them more often than my high dollar Canon L-Series lenses!

I also have that Takumar 55mm f/1.8 and love it!

03-30-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Durf Quote
No, I'm using Fotodiox K-Mount to EOS & M42 Mount to EOS adapters.
The S-M-C Tak 85/1.8 is a special lens - lucky you. I recently acquired the 50’s Auto Takumar version (different formula) and experimenting with it on K-1 now. My K85/1.8 is apparently the same formula as the S-M-C.

I have about 40 legacy manual lenses from the early 50’s to the late 80’s and only 7 AF lenses. The K-1 handles all of them very well once you understand the camera setup and logic. It is different in some ways from Canon logic, especially around metering lenses without contacts for aperture control (A and later). You can make a K-1 operate pretty much like a film camera would have with most manual lenses.

The Forum has a wealth of resources to assist and the members are very responsive to helping people figure things out. I’d say go for it. You could always sell the K-1ll at a slight discount here if it doesn’t work for you.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-30-2018 at 01:09 PM.
03-30-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The S-M-C Tak 85/1.8 is a special lens - lucky you. I recently acquired the 50’s Auto Takumar version (deferent formula) and experimenting with it on K-1 now. My K85/1.8 is apparently the same formula as the S-M-C.

I have about 40 legacy manual lenses from the early 50’s to the late 80’s and only 7 AF lenses. The K-1 handles all of them very well once you understand the camera setup and logic. It is differentn in some ways than Canon, especially around metering lenses without contacts for aperture control (A and later). You can make a K-1 operate pretty much like a film camera would have with most manual lenses.

The Forum has a wealth of resources to assist and the members are very responsive to helping people figure things out. I’d say go for it. You could always sell the K-1ll at a slight discount here if it doesn’t work for you.
I've got about 25 old lenses, none are A lenses, they are all Takumar M42 Mount and Pentax M-Series K-Mount lenses.

Even though these old lenses work great for me on my Canon Camera's, it just makes sense to me to be using them on a Full Frame Pentax K1 Camera. The K1 also sounds like a much better camera than what I'm using now.
I would highly likely buy the 24-70mm for it too just to have a fully auto modern lens with it as I've heard good things about that lens, but it would mostly be used with my old glass.....

I also have 2 K1000's but don't hardly ever use film anymore. I have this itch to get a K1 for all my old glass!!!!!!
03-30-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Pentax A50 with K-1, and it works like a charm - when it comes to handling, the only difference is lack of autofocus, as in 'A' mode you can set aperture from the body. 'M' lenses are little more tricky because of so-called stop-down metering a.k.a. 'green button', but I use M50 macro with bellows, so I have to use green button anyway. Don't have any examples with me now, as you have probably seen already, K-1 with vintage lenses is powerful combo.
03-30-2018, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Hi,

Here's a few of my Flickr images with the K-1 ... K 28/3.5, SMC Tak 35/2 & Tamron SP AD-2 17/3.5

Pentax SMC K 28/3.5 | Flickr

SMC Takumar 35/2 | Flickr

Tamron SP 17/3.5 Adaptall-2 | Flickr
03-30-2018, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #12

Original Poster
These in the photo are the lenses I use the most.....(one's actually a Helios)

---------- Post added 03-30-18 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hi,

Here's a few of my Flickr images with the K-1 ... K 28/3.5, SMC Tak 35/2 & Tamron SP AD-2 17/3.5

Pentax SMC K 28/3.5 | Flickr

SMC Takumar 35/2 | Flickr

Tamron SP 17/3.5 Adaptall-2 | Flickr
Beautiful image collections Jean, I've been hunting a good copy of that 35/2 lens you have for a while now. I've got the Takumar 35mm f/3.5 that I use often and it has a look all it's own compared to almost all other Takumars. I use it once in a while for certain landscape shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 6D Mark II  Photo 

Last edited by Durf; 03-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.
03-30-2018, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to see the Takumar Bayonet in there. I have a dozen pentax 135s and that one is the sharpest (despite the reviews).
Here is a mod I use to get the M series to operate in a totally manual (M42) type way.
Converting M series lens to manual - PentaxForums.com
You can bring the new hole to within 8mm of the locating slot and maintain full manual control. 7mm and it may not stop down past about f11. Ignore the comments about stability on the camera - not an issue.
I find that Liveview with focus peaking is miles ahead of the OVF for the critical focusing needed (with LCD viewfinder loupe) so maybe you need to research the SonyFFs as well. It just never occurred to me to use anything other than Pentax for these lovely old lens.
03-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Great to see the Takumar Bayonet in there. I have a dozen pentax 135s and that one is the sharpest (despite the reviews).
Here is a mod I use to get the M series to operate in a totally manual (M42) type way.
Converting M series lens to manual - PentaxForums.com
You can bring the new hole to within 8mm of the locating slot and maintain full manual control. 7mm and it may not stop down past about f11. Ignore the comments about stability on the camera - not an issue.
I find that Liveview with focus peaking is miles ahead of the OVF for the critical focusing needed (with LCD viewfinder loupe) so maybe you need to research the SonyFFs as well. It just never occurred to me to use anything other than Pentax for these lovely old lens.
Thanks for the mod tip.

I also have the S-M-C Takumar 135mm f/2.5 and it's pretty sharp too but the sharpness of the Bayonet 135 is amazing and totally under-rated. The Bayonet is actually one of the lenses in my everyday carry bag.

I've researched and considered Sony for these lenses, but, if I make an investment it'll be the K1 or K1 mark ii.
03-30-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I have 3 of the M42 tak135 2.5 - all the older 5 element versions and they are not as sharp as the Tak Bayonet 2.5. Of course they have their own qualities - I would reach for one of them for Portraiture.
And is that a Tak bayonet 28mm 2.8 in there? Another sharp little underrated beast. They perform like the A28 rather than the mediocre M28 2.8.
About the mod - you don't need it if you shoot in M mode - they work just fine. That is of course so long as the iris is free moving and hasn't gone viscous with age.