Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 03:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Settings that affect Raw or only JPG

Just quickly, I'm trying to ascertain the settings in the K-1 Camera that apply when in RAW mode only and whether having any JPG elements on slows the process down at all (even though JPG is not selected as the file format used).

So... for example, I believe D-Range Settings (Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction) and Noise Reduction (Slow Shutter Speed NR and High-ISO NR) do apply to RAW processed files (and therefore add processing times)?

How about any of the following;

AA Filter Simulator
Composition Adjustment
Lens Correction

Do they affect RAW?

If not, and having some on, but still shooting RAW only, does it still slow things down? Or will things only 'slow down' when RAW+ or Jpg only mode is used?

What about Custom Image, choosing a preset such as Portrait and perhaps further changing the Parameter Adjustments etc such as 'Sharpness' settings in the Custom Image, Ex, Fine etc?

What I think is D-Range and Noise Reduction are the ONLY settings that affect RAW shooting, all the others are Jpg stuff, having them on shouldn't affect the process when shooting RAW only but do slow things down when having RAW+ or in Jpeg mode.

Am I right?

Cheers,

Bruce

04-08-2018, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would be interested to hear the definitive answer on this too.

Even though you shoot in RAW only the camera still has to produce a jpeg image to display on the lcd screen.
04-08-2018, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Both composition adjustment and AA simulator affect the RAW file because the move the sensor before or during exposure. But they have no effect on processing time.

Slow Shutter Speed NR definitely applies to RAW and definitely slows things down because the camera takes a 2nd exposure of equal length to the first with the shutter closed and then subtracts the resulting dark frame from the first image.
04-08-2018, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Just quickly, I'm trying to ascertain the settings in the K-1 Camera that apply when in RAW mode only and whether having any JPG elements on slows the process down at all (even though JPG is not selected as the file format used).

So... for example, I believe D-Range Settings (Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction) and Noise Reduction (Slow Shutter Speed NR and High-ISO NR) do apply to RAW processed files (and therefore add processing times)?
Highlight correction affects raw, shadow correction does not.

QuoteQuote:

How about any of the following;

AA Filter Simulator
Composition Adjustment
Lens Correction

Do they affect RAW?
The first two yes, lens corrections I'm not 100% on but I believe no. Very simple test is to take two raws with it off, apply lens correction to one, then take one raw with it on, and see which of the original two it resembles.

QuoteQuote:

If not, and having some on, but still shooting RAW only, does it still slow things down? Or will things only 'slow down' when RAW+ or Jpg only mode is used?
The settings that apply to jpg only should not slow down the camera. They are used to process the small jpg thumbnails (the things you view on your cameras screen) but these files are small and this processing takes milliseconds, you won't notice the difference.

Only the settings that apply to raw files like NR take more time and may be noticed.

QuoteQuote:

What about Custom Image, choosing a preset such as Portrait and perhaps further changing the Parameter Adjustments etc such as 'Sharpness' settings in the Custom Image, Ex, Fine etc?
These do not affect raw files at all.

QuoteQuote:

What I think is D-Range and Noise Reduction are the ONLY settings that affect RAW shooting, all the others are Jpg stuff, having them on shouldn't affect the process when shooting RAW only but do slow things down when having RAW+ or in Jpeg mode.

Am I right?

Cheers,

Bruce
Pretty much. Test the lens correction, I don't think it will affect raw but I haven't bothered to find out as I prefer it off either way.

---------- Post added 04-08-18 at 02:56 PM ----------

Have just tested and can confirm lens correction do not apply to raw files.

Like all of these settings they DO affect how the in camera thumbnails look, as the camera makes a small jpg for you to see. When the raw files are viewed on pc however there is no such processing done.

Last edited by dMwBennn; 04-08-2018 at 07:58 AM.
04-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dMwBennn Quote
Have just tested and can confirm lens correction do not apply to raw files
But I think the data for lens distortion is recorded with the raw file irrespective of your chosen setting. When i process a raw file with Silkypix DS Pro, I have the option to turn the lens distortion correction on or off or to use the camera "jpeg setting".
04-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having any of the lens corrections on will slow down in-camera processing time. Just ask any action shooter.
04-08-2018, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

AA Filter Simulator
Composition Adjustment
Lens Correction
A high-level way of looking this is that anything that affects the pixel data at the time of capture (i.e involves hardware settings) will affect raw files. Everything else is jpeg only and can be applied to raws at the time of development.

So both the AA filter simulator and composition adjustment affect raw files, while lens corrections apply to jpegs only, since they are applied after the initial image capture.

Earlier highlight correction was mentioned. This affects raw files because it underexposes the original shot using shutter speed and/or aperture.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've had a curious experience with Jpg. I made some tweaks, I believe following some other users recommendation for Jpg settings, I'm pretty sure I was shooting in just Jpg mode and I was surprised at just how much longer it took to 'process' the shot, it was waaaayyy longer than a RAW file. I know that the buffer is around 17 RAW files and 70 Jpg, but surely that all depends on what you have set on in the camera for Jpg, because from my small 2 mins of playing with those Jpg tweak stuff on it looked like it would crap out way earlier than RAW would!
FWIW I have set (in the past) a Jpg shooting only mode with nothing toggled on and know what it was like to get fast processing times.

I may start venturing into the world of RAW+ (writing 1xRAW to one sd and 1xJpg to the other sd) but I'm concerned in getting worse buffering times (than doing RAW to both SD), but also I want the Jpgs to have a certain look or feel (to avoid being PP and being used straight out of the camera). I'm wanting to get it straight what effects in the camera really put a strain on processing times and which ones don't. If I create a Jpg only User Mode I'd be looking for getting buffering times that are better than RAW only for sure, not worse otherwise I see very little point.
04-08-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've had a curious experience with Jpg. I made some tweaks, I believe following some other users recommendation for Jpg settings, I'm pretty sure I was shooting in just Jpg mode and I was surprised at just how much longer it took to 'process' the shot, it was waaaayyy longer than a RAW file. I know that the buffer is around 17 RAW files and 70 Jpg, but surely that all depends on what you have set on in the camera for Jpg, because from my small 2 mins of playing with those Jpg tweak stuff on it looked like it would crap out way earlier than RAW would!
FWIW I have set (in the past) a Jpg shooting only mode with nothing toggled on and know what it was like to get fast processing times.

I may start venturing into the world of RAW+ (writing 1xRAW to one sd and 1xJpg to the other sd) but I'm concerned in getting worse buffering times (than doing RAW to both SD), but also I want the Jpgs to have a certain look or feel (to avoid being PP and being used straight out of the camera). I'm wanting to get it straight what effects in the camera really put a strain on processing times and which ones don't. If I create a Jpg only User Mode I'd be looking for getting buffering times that are better than RAW only for sure, not worse otherwise I see very little point.
Yep! Some of those JPEG settings require a lot of serious pixel pimping and will definitely slow down your shooting.

One option to consider is shooting in RAW-only for speed and then developing the RAW images on the camera later. Page 85 of the K-1 manual describes how to select a previously shot RAW file, multiple RAW files, or even an entire folder of RAW files and then tell the camera to apply a bunch of settings to create a new file, files, or new folder of JPEGs. It's one way to get JPEGS with some baseline look or feel without having to delay shooting. Maybe it's something for the drive home after a shoot (although patience and a fresh battery might be a good idea because processing a fat folder of images might take quite a long time).
04-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yep! Some of those JPEG settings require a lot of serious pixel pimping and will definitely slow down your shooting.

One option to consider is shooting in RAW-only for speed and then developing the RAW images on the camera later. Page 85 of the K-1 manual describes how to select a previously shot RAW file, multiple RAW files, or even an entire folder of RAW files and then tell the camera to apply a bunch of settings to create a new file, files, or new folder of JPEGs. It's one way to get JPEGS with some baseline look or feel without having to delay shooting. Maybe it's something for the drive home after a shoot (although patience and a fresh battery might be a good idea because processing a fat folder of images might take quite a long time).
Hey I didn't know it could do that, I mean I knew I could create a Jpg from RAW file, and even a bunch of them, but I didn't know you could apply a given 'custom Jpg Preset' to them all. So if I'm understanding you correctly, could you for instance take 30 RAW files and quickly with ease (and not have to delve into each setting) apply the following;
  • Custom Image, perhaps say 'Muted' and changing specific values such as Saturation and Sharpness
  • Clarity, perhaps boosting by +1 etc
  • Apply Lens Correction

Or is the conversion going to have to be applied setting at a time (ZZzzz....). I like the idea of batch processing, not so much if it's a lot of fiddling about. I don't mind the initial fiddling about (to create the Jpg Preset etc), but it kinda needs to be a 'one push button' thing (as you say... let the camera do it on the drive home etc).
04-08-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want to minimize processing time, make sure clarity enhancement, skin tone correction, and lens corrections are disabled. All of these add more than 1 second to each frame, whereas most other processing tasks add negligible overhead.

All of these can indeed be applied retroactively to raw files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2018, 03:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Clarity and Skin Tones have huge performances impact
04-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, so we're getting somewhere with this thread, good to see.

Do we know if we have say the big stuff turned on like Clarity or Skin Tones, but we're still just choosing to shoot RAW and not RAW+ or Jpg... is the processing time still affected? As pschlute points out... the K-1 still needs to present a jpg preview on the back of the lcd screen.

I'll aim to test this out tomorrow when I have more light and am not tired.

The point of all this is rather vague for me at the moment, it's just we have a lot of 'Memory' options (things the camera can store or forget during powerdowns) and then of course custom User Modes etc. I may wish to have certain things embedded in the camera's memory that affects Jpgs always, but not always enact or affect my RAW shooting modes etc.
I may decide that encountering a buffer of 17 for RAW is problematic however having a buffer of 70 Jpg is overkill, and I might like to toggle certain things on in that mode and compromise with a buffer of 45 jpg shots etc. I dunno... it's all theory for me at the moment. Right now I'm just trying to get myself to understand how it all works and whether if running a User Mode and RAW only, if I have some (Jpg) settings applied (because hey I might want to use that Fx button and toggle to RAW+ or Jpg) whether if I am still at RAW only I am crippled somewhat etc.

It would be really neat to have some kind of excel table, presented with the options and what kind of processing delay you might run into if you toggle this setting on and this one off etc ok ok... overkill.
04-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'll aim to test this out tomorrow when I have more light and am not tired.
It would be really neat to have some kind of excel table, presented with the options and what kind of processing delay you might run into if you toggle this setting on and this one off etc ok ok... overkill.
All computing intense development options do increase the processing time, so affect booth RAW (thumbnails) and JPG.
Easiest way to avoid is disabling them, shooting in RAW and develop the RAWs inside the camera afte the shooting. Mass edits for all images in one folder (day) are possible. Saves the time when needed and takes it when available.
04-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
All computing intense development options do increase the processing time, so affect booth RAW (thumbnails) and JPG.
Easiest way to avoid is disabling them, shooting in RAW and develop the RAWs inside the camera afte the shooting. Mass edits for all images in one folder (day) are possible. Saves the time when needed and takes it when available.
I think this is a pretty good idea.

Let's look at things a little deeper then;

Let's say I have two 64gb SD cards inside the K-1, I shoot RAW (with every jpg and other RAW adjustments off) and am writing to just one card (sd 1) and not both simultaneously, just to speed up buffering and processing times.

At the end of the shoot/day I wish to now convert all the RAW files to Jpgs onto Sd card 2 (might even get away with a 64gb+32gb card combo now as I'm not duplicating RAW twice), I can let the camera 'think away' and doing this task as I drive back home etc.

Is there a way to quickly (and not manually pick away at the settings each time) to tell the K-1 that during the RAW>Jpg write to sd card 2 to use very specific parameters, a predetermined preset if you will that was 'built' before hand.

The Preset might be for example;

Custom Image>Flat>with increased sharpness and perhaps a tweak contrast or saturation (ie a custom variation of 'Flat').
Lens Correction On
Clarity +2

Something like that?

I mean I could even save those exact parameters as a User Mode if that helped, so that when it came to the RAW>Jpg push to SD Card 2, could you specify it to use 'User Mode 3' settings for the conversion/transfer?

The attraction of this post process task loses its appeal if each time you want to do a batch RAW>Jpg in camera you have tweak settings etc.

Why all of this?

It may be that I stumble upon a look or style (only possible from Jpg and not RAW of course) that is possible with the K-1 from within the body, perhaps the style suits rainy weather days etc. To keep consistent workflow/style I would choose to actually transfer the Jpgs to the PC first, and use this as 'round 1' of the culling process. Any images I find that need further tweaking due to accidental bad exposing I could then retrieve the raw file from the other SD card and salvage the shot better etc.

But as we know, doing RAW+ and writing a RAW + Jpg and to two sd cards does slow the whole 'shooting' experience down. I could also get a Jpg quickly in the field and use for social media without having to rely on RAW+Editing at home.