Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is not the usual view; apparently they are getting more upgrade requests than they expected.
K-1 II upgrade program extended in Canada due to unexpectedly high demand - PentaxForums.com
Spoke with Precision in the U.S. today, and they are waiting on the next round of upgrade parts, and the person I spoke to said demand was much higher than anticipated.

09-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is not the usual view; apparently they are getting more upgrade requests than they expected.
K-1 II upgrade program extended in Canada due to unexpectedly high demand - PentaxForums.com
I know they are. I'm waiting for a proper upgrade
09-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not quite sure what the point was of the astro pictures on the previous page. Other than maybe for star trails, no one is going to use a long exposure at a high ISO. It's a given that noise is going to increase on any sensor when doing that. Especially with non-cooled DSLR sensors. That's why one stacks with dark frames, to get rid of that noise. And uses a tracking mechanism(either astrotracer or a tracking mount) to allow longer exposure at a lower ISO without trailing. And the comparison pic is very obviously a short exposure, as the stars are fairly round with little trailing.
09-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I'm not quite sure what the point was of the astro pictures on the previous page. Other than maybe for star trails, no one is going to use a long exposure at a high ISO. It's a given that noise is going to increase on any sensor when doing that. Especially with non-cooled DSLR sensors. That's why one stacks with dark frames, to get rid of that noise. And uses a tracking mechanism(either astrotracer or a tracking mount) to allow longer exposure at a lower ISO without trailing. And the comparison pic is very obviously a short exposure, as the stars are fairly round with little trailing.
Im not sure, but I think he tried to show that due to noise suppression star trails are thick and less defined with K-1 II.

09-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #560
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Yeah, so...

I took this as a part of my new series.

K-1 mk2, Samyang 35/1.4 (perfect sample), ISO800, DNG RAW, Lightroom 7.3 default sharpening settings

Closer look at lower left corner:

Horrible pixel level quality @ ISO800 (looks like cellphone image) from a sensor which gave a lot better results back in 2012 in D800(E) Nikon body. This is looking like filtering what happens with Sony A7x bodies after 3.2second exposures. Some examples of Sony filtered mess @ 100% crop:

Upper Sony crop is from a distant landscape, lower is part of a sand pile filtered to mush. That crop from K-1 MK2 is not far off. Everything in the crops are in perfect focus with lens stopped down far enough.
I would guess it's a type of visual censorship because the subject is dead!
09-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Im not sure, but I think he tried to show that due to noise suppression star trails are thick and less defined with K-1 II.
Could be, but absent a comparison from a K-1 Mark 1, or another similar high-end DSLR using the same exposure settings, it's hard to tell if what is shown is good or bad. And star trail photography is an even smaller niche than regular astro or Milky Way photography, so I'm not sure that Pentax would care one way or another about poor performance there, if it's better in general low-light photography.
And don't get me wrong, some of the night photos MJKoski has posted are great, and I get his general question...I'm just not sure that post added much.
10-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #562
KX5
Forum Member

Firmware update?

As i know only the firmware 1.02 has been created a long time ago for the K1ii. What about the noise reduction issue with this firmware? Does anybody know?
I loved my K1 shots @6400 iso and i hesitate to upgrade with the new K1ii for that reason.
My postprocessing from RAW doen't eliminate noise -or just a little bit- for the reason i prefer details than less noise.
I don't know if Pentax staff made some adjustments to correct it or even commented officially that.