Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, the AF alone is worth it. It's snappy and decisive. It gives back a certain confidence especially as an event photographer that you'll capture the moment, rather than the 50/50 potential lost frames because the AF was semi locked in.

He didn't really show that many image comparisons, lots of sites already show a slight difference to the performance of the camera. Still the K1 has amazing IQ, so I don't see a need for an upgrade there anyway.

04-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
This is a crop of a shot I took with my k-1 II the other day. It was sort of breezy and overcast. It was my first day out of doors with the camera and my Pentax 70-200.
I really like that.
04-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the MkII brings the K1 to the AF performance level of the KP, then yes, worth the expense.
04-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Lovely bokeh! Well done.
Thank you so much.

04-19-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
Honestly, the AF alone is worth it. It's snappy and decisive. It gives back a certain confidence especially as an event photographer that you'll capture the moment, rather than the 50/50 potential lost frames because the AF was semi locked in.

He didn't really show that many image comparisons, lots of sites already show a slight difference to the performance of the camera. Still the K1 has amazing IQ, so I don't see a need for an upgrade there anyway.
I'm certainly not. I just bout my new K-1 in January, and it will serve me well for a long time. I've invested in lenses, too. Totally new to Pentax, and I like it.
Terry
04-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
I really like that.
Thank you for the nice compliment.
04-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I was hoping for the sort improvement seen with K-70 / K-P in high ISO. However from all the image comparisons I have seen so far there is very little difference between K-1 and K-1 II (maybe half a stop if that?). If it was a good solid 1+ stops then that would be reason enough to upgrade for me but I'm not seeing that from reviews so far. Also with hand held pixel shift thing, all the review samples I have seen so far there is virtually no improvement over regular handheld (certainly nothing like regular pixel shift) and in some cases worse.
So I'm a bit disappointed about that. Not sure if I will do the upgrade at this point. From a recent interview Ricoh were saying that the new AF algorithm was not because / dependent on the new hardware. Whether they the make it available to the K-1 or not is likely to be a strategic thing (I'm hoping that a few months down the track they will release to the K-1 too).
If I were a product guy for Ricoh I wouldn’t”t release any possible FW improvement until the Upgrade period I’d over.

04-19-2018, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #23

If the algorithms are embedded in the auto focus chip itself and can't be flashed on it's own all the wishing in the world isn't going to make it happen. Maybe it can be emulated in the CPU but it's going to run slower which would probably negate any advantage.
04-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I were a product guy for Ricoh I wouldn’t”t release any possible FW improvement until the Upgrade period I’d over.
I would either release the FW improvement, or make a clear statement about it before the upgrade period starts.
They're not doing the upgrade in order to make money.
04-20-2018, 02:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I would either release the FW improvement, or make a clear statement about it before the upgrade period starts.
They're not doing the upgrade in order to make money.
I agree.
They must make a statement about a Firmware update incorporating the new AF algorithm before people send their cameras for the paid upgrade.
Im only interested by this new AF, I barely use PS and Handheld PS is not something I look for. As for ISO improvement, the K1 is already amazingly good and as far as I can see the MkII is not worth it to me.

Ill probably wait for Pentax next FF camera and keep my K1 body for now, it's really all I need for my photography, I'd prefer buy lenses instead of this 550€ upgrade.
It's nice Pentax offer this option though !
04-21-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #26

^lovely pic! woodpeckers can be so hard to get

I find that people are too concerned with pixel peeping and "of it's not perfect at this" etc. bickering, instead of going outside and taking pictures. Cameras get upgraded constantly. Lenses last forever, camera bodies get renewed. The photos we take, however has little to anything to do with the camera body, it's our inspiration and skill/idea that creates that result. I find that people on this forum are very technology obsessed to the point that I wonder if they actually take pictures, or just like to compare gadgets.
04-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I guess I was hoping for the sort improvement seen with K-70 / K-P in high ISO. However from all the image comparisons I have seen so far there is very little difference between K-1 and K-1 II (maybe half a stop if that?). If it was a good solid 1+ stops then that would be reason enough to upgrade for me but I'm not seeing that from reviews so far. Also with hand held pixel shift thing, all the review samples I have seen so far there is virtually no improvement over regular handheld (certainly nothing like regular pixel shift) and in some cases worse.
So I'm a bit disappointed about that. Not sure if I will do the upgrade at this point. From a recent interview Ricoh were saying that the new AF algorithm was not because / dependent on the new hardware. Whether they the make it available to the K-1 or not is likely to be a strategic thing (I'm hoping that a few months down the track they will release to the K-1 too).
He didn't really focus on it much, but there did seem to be noise improvement in the comparison shots he showed.
04-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm - I watched it earlier - while basically pro Pentax, he is sometimes a bit slapdash - the comparisons showed very little, and the Ricoh guy in interviews made it clear that the the AF improvement wasn't just firmware - the accelerator frees up space in the PRIME engine for quicker 3-D processing, IIRC
04-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I agree.
They must make a statement about a Firmware update incorporating the new AF algorithm before people send their cameras for the paid upgrade.
Im only interested by this new AF, I barely use PS and Handheld PS is not something I look for. As for ISO improvement, the K1 is already amazingly good and as far as I can see the MkII is not worth it to me.

Ill probably wait for Pentax next FF camera and keep my K1 body for now, it's really all I need for my photography, I'd prefer buy lenses instead of this 550€ upgrade.
It's nice Pentax offer this option though !
I have found the hand held PS to be a very dangerous thing. The urge to use it is a very powerful thing. I equate it with what happens the first time you pick up a K1. Once you handle it you are hooked. I am heading to Yellowstone National Park in three weeks. Potential uses there are mind boggling. And then there are the Grand Tetons right next door.
04-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have found the hand held PS to be a very dangerous thing. The urge to use it is a very powerful thing. I equate it with what happens the first time you pick up a K1. Once you handle it you are hooked. I am heading to Yellowstone National Park in three weeks. Potential uses there are mind boggling. And then there are the Grand Tetons right next door.
In fact my issue with PS or DPS is not related to this feature or Pentax. My main concern is that none of my regular PP softwares know how to deal with these files.
Im using Lr as my primary DAM and PP Tool and ON1 photo Raw2018 as a PS like tool (masking tools mainly). Both does not recognised PS files.

I tried Raw Therapy with PS photos but didnt really like this extra step in PP. I might give it another try.