Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does anyone have any links that show testing about this issue?

04-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
There have been posts about some K-1's being better than others on this, that is why I was either hoping the new model would have an improvement or there could be a service solution.

---------- Post added 04-23-2018 at 09:46 AM ----------

It would be interesting to learn how much shutter shock affected film cameras with FP shutters, without being noticed. It was not as easy for the average person to see it by enlarging on a computer monitor. The film was more of the limiting factor, along with mirror vibration even on a tripod.

Dan
If was a known issue back then too. Mirror slap created issues too. Pro models of 35mm cameras almost all had a mechanical mirror lockup on them.
04-23-2018, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Does anyone have any links that show testing about this issue?
Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

My tests with DFA 28-105. I think I have 3 frames for each shutter speed. You can see sharpest results are taken at 1/8 to 1/25, then it's all blurry, then back to sharp again at 1/250. So a huge range really.
04-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

My tests with DFA 28-105. I think I have 3 frames for each shutter speed. You can see sharpest results are taken at 1/8 to 1/25, then it's all blurry, then back to sharp again at 1/250. So a huge range really.
aswcreo

I see the same thing when the D FA 28-105 lens is mounted on my K1.

04-30-2018, 02:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think the shutter mechanism is a precision instrument and stuck firmly in the camera body.
But I can imagine that lens elements can vibrate in some lenses and DFA28-105 is not a * lens.
Has anyone tried another DFA28-105 on the same camera?
04-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I think the shutter mechanism is a precision instrument and stuck firmly in the camera body.
But I can imagine that lens elements can vibrate in some lenses and DFA28-105 is not a * lens.
Has anyone tried another DFA28-105 on the same camera?
Shutter shake is a problem on other brands of cameras too. Since it is more the result of resonant frequency the K1/D FA 28-105 combination seems to hit a "sweet spot". People with the heavier D FA 24-70 lens have it to a lesser degree or not at all. Some people say that adding the battery grip, which changes the total weight of the system, helps. I have seen it on lenses other than the D FA 28-105

My K1 and K1-II both have the problem with the 28-105 lens mounted. Shake reduction in my K1-II eliminates the problem. Once I realized what was happening on my K1, I simply avoided the critical shutter speed range. Now that I am older, hand shake. is a bigger concern to me so I tend to keep my shutter speeds higher if I am not using a tripod. Live view with electronic shutter enabled works too. This year, I am experimenting with a monopod. A new experience for me.
04-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Indeed. The curious thing though is that it doesn't seem to afflict all K1s equally. Does that mean there are some examples with an inferior component or assembly?
The problem is there are so many other variables.

It may be that all K-1s have identical susceptibility to shutter shock but that:

1) different owners have different tripods and tripod usage patterns (maybe a stiff tripod is "good" and maybe a stiff tripod is "bad");

2) different owners have different lenses (the 28-105 seems to be especially prone to the issue);

3) different owners have different camera-holding styles (the coupling of the mass of the hands, arms, and head will change the nature of the shock);

4) different owners have different tendencies to take ultra-detailed images and pixel peep (some might have it but not notice it).

(Note: the basic physics of focal plane shutters all but guarantee some sort of shock. Rapidly moving the focal plane shutter blades implies forces that act on both the shutter and the camera body. No one get's to break Newton's laws! The only possible fix for the physics is a much more complicated and large shutter mechanism that adds two counterweights moving in the opposite direction and actuated by motors running in the opposite direction as the two curtains of the shutter.)

04-30-2018, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The only possible fix for the physics is a much more complicated and large shutter mechanism that adds two counterweights moving in the opposite direction and actuated by motors running in the opposite direction as the two curtains of the shutter.)
I think Pentax are working on that very thing. Here is a prototype:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Hasselblad H3DII-39MS - Hasselblad H3D  Photo 
05-01-2018, 01:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Shutter shake is a problem on other brands of cameras too. Since it is more the result of resonant frequency the K1/D FA 28-105 combination seems to hit a "sweet spot". People with the heavier D FA 24-70 lens have it to a lesser degree or not at all. Some people say that adding the battery grip, which changes the total weight of the system, helps. I have seen it on lenses other than the D FA 28-105

My K1 and K1-II both have the problem with the 28-105 lens mounted. Shake reduction in my K1-II eliminates the problem. Once I realized what was happening on my K1, I simply avoided the critical shutter speed range. Now that I am older, hand shake. is a bigger concern to me so I tend to keep my shutter speeds higher if I am not using a tripod. Live view with electronic shutter enabled works too. This year, I am experimenting with a monopod. A new experience for me.
Oh, Pentax might have solved the problem of shutter shock, I thought it was a too fast shock for SR.
A new advantage for K1II.
Over the years I have sometimes get blurred images as I blamed on user errors, first with K1 I have heard about the problem.
05-01-2018, 04:34 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Oh, Pentax might have solved the problem of shutter shock, I thought it was a too fast shock for SR.
A new advantage for K1II.
Over the years I have sometimes get blurred images as I blamed on user errors, first with K1 I have heard about the problem.
Shutter shock on my K1-II seems less than on my K1 to begin with. SR seemed to correct it on my test. I look at my quick test as a sample size of one, and not a sweeping statement. I still plan on avoiding the shutter speed range where it seems to occur unless I am using live view with the electronic shutter enabled.
05-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if SR can correct it though. SR is used split second before the shot is take correct? But sensor has to be motionless for the actual shutter actuation, no? I thought shutter shock is a physical vibration cause by either slap of the mirror, or closing of the shutter curtain itself. Although, Olympus fixed it via firmware in my previous body, I think MILC platforms have an advantage in that regard.
05-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I wonder if SR can correct it though. SR is used split second before the shot is take correct? But sensor has to be motionless for the actual shutter actuation, no? I thought shutter shock is a physical vibration cause by either slap of the mirror, or closing of the shutter curtain itself. Although, Olympus fixed it via firmware in my previous body, I think MILC platforms have an advantage in that regard.
SR is the opposite -- it moves the sensor DURING the exposure to correct for shifting of the image caused by motion of the camera and lens during exposure.

M4/3rds cameras such as the Olympus are simply less prone to shutter shock because of their tiny frame sizes. To a first approximation, an Olympus shutter has 1/4 the mass of an FF shutter, moves at 1/2 the velocity of an FF shutter, and thus has 1/16th the total shock of an FF shutter. The lower resolution of Olympus cameras versus the K-1 also helps hide any shock.